Rsync problem with two TS-269PROs

Discussion on remote replication.
ArxGui
New here

Rsync problem with two TS-269PROs

Post by ArxGui »

Hello,

I have the very same problem, using two TS-269PRO
I try to sync large files in many folders.

I've tested small folder with small files in it and it worked fine.
So it's not a port problem...

Here is what I get;
[sender] io timeout after 601 seconds -- exiting
rsync error: timeout in data send/receive (code 30) at io.c(140) [sender=3.0.7]

Firware is updated and I can't seams to find anywhere where I could increse the timeout or find possible solution for this problem..

please help !
pwilson
Guru

Re: Rsync problem with two TS-269PROs

Post by pwilson »

ArxGui wrote:Hello,

I have the very same problem, using two TS-269PRO
I try to sync large files in many folders.

I've tested small folder with small files in it and it worked fine.
So it's not a port problem...

Here is what I get;
[sender] io timeout after 601 seconds -- exiting
rsync error: timeout in data send/receive (code 30) at io.c(140) [sender=3.0.7]

Firware is updated and I can't seams to find anywhere where I could increse the timeout or find possible solution for this problem..

please help !
Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Insufficient information provided. What is the firmware versions, network configurations, syncing to/from, how are you syncing, rsync options, size of the files failing, amount of free space on volume syncing to, etc, etc, etc.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
ArxGui
New here

Post by ArxGui »

Don wrote:Insufficient information provided. What is the firmware versions, network configurations, syncing to/from, how are you syncing, rsync options, size of the files failing, amount of free space on volume syncing to, etc, etc, etc.

Hi Don,

Thank for asking.

--> The firmware are both the same updated ( 4.07 )
--> Network are the same at both ends, using Linksys AE6500
--> Syncing from/to ?? what do you mean ( both are the same model ) only difference is the ISP. one is clearly slower the location is not very well covered by high speed..
--> RSYNC are setup on both side using NAS to NAS
--> As I said I've tried to sync one folder with one small .jpg file just to verify that the connection and ports are okay but the main interest would be to sync folder that are greater than 25gb ++
too much sub folders and files in each one of them so it's hard to say average sizes..
--> Lot's of space is available the NAS are brand new with mirrored 4Tb WD Red drives.
--> We did sync locally before sending the second NAS to remote location so the differential backup could be ''lighter''
---------> could this be the problem ? should I delete all files on the remote location to start a brand new backup and send over 25-35gb of data... wow. :shock: I'm realizing maybe the image test was running great because the file was non existing on the remote location...

Thanks in advance
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

ArxGui wrote:
Don wrote:Insufficient information provided. What is the firmware versions, network configurations, syncing to/from, how are you syncing, rsync options, size of the files failing, amount of free space on volume syncing to, etc, etc, etc.

Hi Don,

Thank for asking.

--> The firmware are both the same updated ( 4.07 )
--> Network are the same at both ends, using Linksys AE6500
--> Syncing from/to ?? what do you mean ( both are the same model ) only difference is the ISP. one is clearly slower the location is not very well covered by high speed..
--> RSYNC are setup on both side using NAS to NAS
--> As I said I've tried to sync one folder with one small .jpg file just to verify that the connection and ports are okay but the main interest would be to sync folder that are greater than 25gb ++
too much sub folders and files in each one of them so it's hard to say average sizes..
--> Lot's of space is available the NAS are brand new with mirrored 4Tb WD Red drives.
--> We did sync locally before sending the second NAS to remote location so the differential backup could be ''lighter''
---------> could this be the problem ? should I delete all files on the remote location to start a brand new backup and send over 25-35gb of data... wow. :shock: I'm realizing maybe the image test was running great because the file was non existing on the remote location...

Thanks in advance
When you're asking a question, please include the following wrote:Many Community members forget to include important information when you're asking questions here in the forums.

If it's a technical question of any kind, please remember to include:
  1. Your Operating System you are using to access your NAS.
  2. NAS model
  3. Firmware revision
  4. Network Setup (ie Single Port or Port Trunking)
  5. If Port Trunking is present please specify (choose correct one):
    1. Balance-rr (Round-Robin)
    2. Active Backup
    3. Balance XOR
    4. Broadcast
    5. IEEE 802.3ad (Dynamic Link Aggregation)
    6. Balance-tlb (Adaptive Transmit Load Balancing)
    7. Balance-alb (Adaptive Load Balancing)
  6. If Disk related please also specify:
    1. Drive Configuration: (ie SingleDrive, RAID0, JBOD, RAID1, RAID5, RAID6, RAID10)
    2. Number of drives
    3. For each drive please provide:
      • Drive Manufacturer (ie Seagate, WD, Hitachi, etc)
      • Drive Model
      • Drive Firmware revision (if available)
This is a community where other members try to help each other out and although QNAP is monitoring the forums, the QNAP staff here are not working for the Support Team.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Yes, for the syncing from/to I meant what are you syncing from and what are you syncing to. It could have been nas to nas, nas to another device , or another device to the nas.

Please provide more info on the network setup. See pwilson's posts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
ArxGui
New here

Post by ArxGui »

Here you go;

• Your Operating System you are using to access your NAS. ---> Windows 7 pro / Either Firefox or Chrome
    NAS model -> TS-269PRO
    Firmware revision ---> 4.07
    Network Setup (ie Single Port or Port Trunking) --> single port
    If Port Trunking is present please specify (choose correct one):
    Balance-rr (Round-Robin)
    Active Backup
    Balance XOR
    Broadcast
    IEEE 802.3ad (Dynamic Link Aggregation)
    Balance-tlb (Adaptive Transmit Load Balancing)
    Balance-alb (Adaptive Load Balancing)
    If Disk related please also specify:
    Drive Configuration: (ie SingleDrive, RAID0, JBOD, RAID1, RAID5, RAID6, RAID10)
    Number of drives -->2x WD RED
    For each drive please provide:
    Drive Manufacturer (ie Seagate, WD, Hitachi, etc) WD
    Drive Model RED 4TB
    Drive Firmware revision (if available)

As I said small files and taks works(very small .jpg files) so connexion, authentification and file transfert works,
I've tested the idea of syncing a non remotly existing folder and files and the timeout occurs too..

---->> Does a configuration exist somewhere to change the timeout.. ?
I guess the calculation of the the replication is taking a long time to compare all files in folders and sub-folder so it makes a timeout ...(?)

---->> in RSYNC is there best practice not to have a certain amount of sub-folder or max amount of files ?

I'm syncyng AUTOCAD files with lot's of sub folders and customer by project files..

thanks again for all your help, hope we can find a solution :)
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

How large is the file that it fails on? Does the file exist on the destination NAS? What options do you have selected on the rsync?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”