Qnap to Qnap now erroring

Discussion on remote replication.
rsenio
Getting the hang of things

Qnap to Qnap now erroring

Post by rsenio »

I've been having issues with qnap --> qnap replication lately. Every Friday night I perform a full backup of a file server share, replication using the qnap is scheduled at 5am every day. Throughout the week it replicates fine (replicates my incremental backups) . However Saturday morning when it replicated my previous nights full backup I have been getting the error

Server Name: QnapMain
IP Address: 192.168.50.215
Date/Time: 2014/05/17 06:43:44
Level: Warning
[Remote Replication] Main to Backup failed: [sender] io timeout after 601 seconds -- exiting. Begin 1st retry.

As you can see, this is nearly two hours into replication. And each Satuday the error is nearly the same. Checking the folder properties I see that there are 9 folders and 21 files missing from the replicated copy.

This leads me to believe that there are folder/files that are not changing throughout the week, but are a part of the full backup Friday, and causing the errors I'm seeing during replication on Saturday's.

I have an open case with Qnap, however at this point they haven't really done much. My offsite backup is pretty much useless if I cannot guarantee the validity of the files.

Can anyone shed some light on how to track down what is causing replication issues?
rsenio
Getting the hang of things

Re: Qnap to Qnap now erroring

Post by rsenio »

Well after having an open ticket with qnap for nearly a month, and support who would remotely connect to my system to "look" at it but did nothing and had no tools or know how to troubleshoot the problem, I picked up where they left off and fixed it myself.

I had a feeling it was because of a file structure or naming issue on my main file server, so when it performed the full backup to the first qnap.....that qnap wasn't able to traverse all the directories to replicate it to the other qnap. I ran a powershell script on my server to find items that broke the 260 character limit (path/filename).

Sure enough there were a few, and once having fixed those the next full backup was replicated without errors to the offsite qnap.

My question is why wasn't I able to get help, or why didn't they know how to enable logging for my rsync job? Like I said, in this instance support was USELESS....they literally did nothing despite me handing them TONS of information regarding the problem. Basically me telling them what I suspected was wrong and he still seemed so lost as to what to do.

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”