Version History on Shared Folders OR backup

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
boma23
New here

Version History on Shared Folders OR backup

Post by boma23 »

Hi,

Just another request for version history to either be built into shared folders or the backup utility, as this must be considered essential on at least one of the above!

Whilst that seems that someone has designed a way to do it with RSYNC and RSNAP for backup, surely this can this be added to the WebGui for us non-Linux types to use out of the box?

thanks
Dom

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?t=13025
TurboNAS TS-EC879U-RP, 8 bay, Version 4.1.1, Build 20141003
cseaman
New here

Re: Version History on Shared Folders OR backup

Post by cseaman »

Agreed, +1! I'm trying to migrate from a Windows file share with Volume Shadow Copy, and despite the hundreds of other cool functionalities offered by our NAS, it's pretty surprising to me that there's no versioned auto-backup functionality built into QNAP's file sharing. Please provide this!
tideniscimaf
First post

Post by tideniscimaf »

Agreed, +1000.
A tech installed rsnap on our NAS, but since we upgraded to QNAP firmware 4.1(+), the GUI is no longer working. I'll fix it somehow, even if that means reverting to command-line only config, but it would make my life much easier if the functionality was built-in.

Davide-NYC
Getting the hang of things

Post by Davide-NYC »

+1000

Been asking for this for years.
TS-509 Pro - Old School!
Hugoxyxxy
Starting out

Post by Hugoxyxxy »

+1

YES, a storage/NAS without built-in versioning is only a "toy" - I was really surprised after the set-up not to find it as a QTS feature. I was so sure about it that I didnt even check pre buy and would NOT buy a QNAP again just because of this!

I said it before, we dont need the 1000st photo/video sharing app as long as a proper backup is not part of QTS!

PS.: rsnap is not an official solution and has issues and did KILL one of my QNAPs including all data ... and I am not the only example of such incidents., see (in German unfortunately):
http://forum.qnapclub.de/viewtopic.php? ... 9869f846e7
http://forum.qnapclub.de/viewtopic.php? ... 9869f846e7
aro48
New here

Post by aro48 »

+1
The term "toy" puts it to the point. I have been synchronizing to another NAS, but this is only a worst case scenario if the first NAS fails completely.
Please no more server-toys /photo/video etc.) but more useful tools for professional use! Backup is essential
I also would like a daily notification via e-mail about the status of the hardware/SMART/syncing/free storage capacity etc. even if there is no failure or warning. That would make managing several QNAPs much easier.
kinglevel
Starting out

Post by kinglevel »

+1
pest123
First post

Post by pest123 »

+1
Yes, indeed we need better backup solution. Even the "one touch backup" cannot be configured as we need.
johnripper
Experience counts

Post by johnripper »

kinglevel
Starting out

Post by kinglevel »

hm, just for volumes? shared folders or just a specific folder would be great.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

kinglevel wrote:hm, just for volumes? shared folders or just a specific folder would be great.
Pre-requirement for snapshots is certainly a kind of a logical volume system - so very unlikely this feature will become available for NAS models using the legacy storage manager, ie. all Marvell ARM based unity (TS-x10/12/19), TS-x39, TS-509, TS-809, TS-x59 and for those with "carried-forward" legacy volumes from these NAS models.
sebastienbo
Know my way around

Post by sebastienbo »

+1

I wonder if windows previous versioning is maybe compatible with qnap?

Or maybe we should have a time machine feature like synology users have

I agree that a feature like that would be much more intresting then the recycle bin we have now, becaue when a file is overwritten or changed ... there is no way to get the older version back...in case of a delete, the recycle bin can help, unless somone deleted the file twice...
CuttingEdgePlumbing
Starting out

Post by CuttingEdgePlumbing »

I realize this thread is old, but wanted to resurrect it.

Take a look at ALL of the backup tools and their options. How many support versioning? RTRR? Is the only one?

I used to use CloudBerry (on Windows) to do my backups before we migrated to QNAP. Recently I just discovered that Cloudberry makes an app for QNAP that supports versioning, and CLOUD backup destinations! Finally! This should be an option IN ALL the regular QNAP backup tools.

https://www.cloudberrylab.com/backup/qnap.aspx

I've been trying to set it up (free version), but so far it seems to freeze on a 'Loading' screen when supplying incorrect Google Cloud credentials. I'll keep pushing on it though, as getting this working would make it so I don't have to use multiple backup platforms to get a good versioned system up and running.

Return to “Features Wanted”