Windows Phone apps

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
vpol
Starting out

Windows Phone apps

Post by vpol »

I would like to see all the apps that are available for android and Ios to be available for windows phone also. Currently only qfile exists and is still in beta
pwilson
Guru

Re: Windows Phone apps

Post by pwilson »

vpol wrote:I would like to see all the apps that are available for android and Ios to be available for windows phone also. Currently only qfile exists and is still in beta
You'll find a listing of Mobile Apps for Android and/or iOS devices on the QNAP Mobile Apps page. Development of WP8 Apps is progressing as quickly as their Market Share deserves IMHO. Microsoft did briefly acquire 10% of cellular market in 2013, but by 2014 they were back to 8% again.

Perhaps if Microsoft pours a few more $Billion into it, perhaps they'll see more market share, and perhaps more support from 3rd parties. I'm sure Windows users are happy to continue financing Microsoft's "Phone folly" for a few more $Billion. Perhaps Microsoft could invest some of their money in sponsoring software development for your platform. I'm sure QNAP would dedicate more programmers to the effort, if someone actually paid them to do so.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
vpol
Starting out

Post by vpol »

thanks for answering. I currently have android phone and have all the apps that qnap offers. I just want my next phone to be a wp but currently the developers don't support it enough and the market hasn't got enough apps so I will wait. I don't care what Microsoft does and if has more market share or not, it's not my problem. I only say that as a customer of qnap I would like to see all apps available to wp market as it has them available to the other two platforms. Nothing more nothing less. It is also a request not a complain.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

vpol wrote:thanks for answering. I currently have android phone and have all the apps that qnap offers. I just want my next phone to be a wp but currently the developers don't support it enough and the market hasn't got enough apps so I will wait. I don't care what Microsoft does and if has more market share or not, it's not my problem. I only say that as a customer of qnap I would like to see all apps available to wp market as it has them available to the other two platforms. Nothing more nothing less. It is also a request not a complain.
But it is your problem if you adopt the platform. Unless Microsoft can increase it's market share, the chances of getting the support you want, is highly unlikely. The realities of "market share" drives the market, especially the 3rd party support thereafter. (No need to debate the benefits of one platform over another here, as the development is not based on the "quality" of the platform, but rather the number of potential customers within the platform).

Also as a Windows user, you should care what Microsoft does. Every dollar "earned" by Microsoft that is diverted to the Windows Phone platform, is not being invested in developing the Windows platform that you paid for. We're talking "Billions" of dollars here.

This is the right place for such a request. I'll leave it at that. You might also want to file a Feature Request for any specific apps you are looking for.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

vpol
Starting out

Post by vpol »

I will not adopt the platform if I can't have everything I have now with android so we agree it's not my problem. It's Microsoft's problem if wants more customers or not. I however as a customer benefit when more choices exist in the market so I would like as many platforms as can be. (sailfish, ubuntu, tizen, firefox etc). I do not judge when I don't have the whole picture and I don't know the numbers here so I just want Microsoft to invest both in the mobile and windows platforms. When I see something that it is not ready or no good for me I just don't get it and either get something else or wait to mature. I will wait for windows 10 for example but if I don't like I will not adopt it.

As a customer of Qnap I would like the mobile apps that is making to be available for wp as it is the 3rd most popular platform and has many users with potentials to increase them. Please excuse my english as it is not my first language and I don't express myself with the same ease as my mother language
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

If Microsoft are pumping $70 million into CyanogenMod, they know their Windows for phone OS is a dead horse.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/01/29/ ... -cyanogen/
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Toxic17 wrote:If Microsoft are pumping $70 million into CyanogenMod, they know their Windows for phone OS is a dead horse.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/01/29/ ... -cyanogen/
Thanks for sharing that Wall Street Journal article: Microsoft to Invest in Rogue Android Startup Cyanogen.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

nirgal76
Starting out

Post by nirgal76 »

not many potential customers = less app.
less app = not many potential customers
It's the snake that bites its own tail !
If developpers don't go to MS plateform, customers will not follow.
Dev must do the first move.
TS-459 Pro (4x 2To RAID5) - 2 Go Ram (CAS 5) - v4.2.26 Samba + FTP + NFS + Download + multimedia + DLNA Station
TS-239 Pro II+ (1To + 2To RAID0) - 1 Go Ram - v4.2.26 - Mirror of the TS-459 Pro + Samba + NFS + PXE Server (DCHP+TFTP)
TS-119 (3 To) - v4.2.? - Mirror of the TS-239 Pro II+/ Samba
NetGear ReadyNas 2100 - (4x 1.5To RAID5) - irror of the TS-459 Pro + ESXi DataStore (NFS)
hurleyp
Getting the hang of things

Post by hurleyp »

At the risk if getting flamed for using the wrong smartphone :wink: I'd also like to see a few more WP apps.
kayrune
Starting out

Post by kayrune »

I guess Windows phone has some api issues when it comes to NAS apps. Only hope is win10 will fix it.

The market share excuse is not valid imo. If that was the case then Iphone would have serious lack of app support aswell.
Android has around 70% of the market worldwide, iOS around 20% and Windows phone 10%. Still iOS is #1 priority for developers.
it's not about market share.

PS. Microsoft just declined a second round of funding/investing in cyanogen.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

kayrune wrote:Android has around 70% of the market worldwide, iOS around 20% and Windows phone 10%.
I think Android is at least at 75 % and iOS maybe slightly below 20 % (but may recover with iPhone 6?). Had Windows phone actually had 10 %, I'm sure interest from developers would have been much, much better.

Regardless if looking at sales or installed base, Win phone is below 3 % (and trending downwards) when I do a quick google. Here are some links:
http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone- ... -share.jsp
http://www.statista.com/statistics/3850 ... ems-share/
http://communities-dominate.blogs.com/b ... th-q4.html
Still iOS is #1 priority for developers.
Apple still take advantage of defining the modern smart phone market and their customers are wealthier than the average, which makes it a more attractive ecosystem than their sheer market share warrants. Neither Android nor Windows phone have any of those advantages so they will have to rely on market share only...

Maybe Win 10 can turn things around for MS? Let's see in a year or so.
it's not about market share.
Then how come so few are interested in Windows phone? Is it a global conspiracy or what?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
kayrune
Starting out

Post by kayrune »

P3R wrote:
kayrune wrote:Android has around 70% of the market worldwide, iOS around 20% and Windows phone 10%.
I think Android is at least at 75 % and iOS maybe slightly below 20 % (but may recover with iPhone 6?). Had Windows phone actually had 10 %, I'm sure interest from developers would have been much, much better.
I had the numbers a little wrong, those numbers I posted are for Europe.

it's not as bad as you portray though. Windows phone is on the rising, and I believe Win10 will help. Currently with marketshare of 10% in Europe and 5% in USA, it's gaining. Iphone is in fact very strong in USA, compared to rest of the world, and big company developers often reside in USA so...

Global conspiracy, no. But there is a company called Google that is making an impact, and how they act is starting to look a lot like MS and the start of their downfall. MS almost got split in different companies, Google is on the verge of that same fate now if they don't change their ways.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

kayrune wrote:it's not as bad as you portray though.
I merely looked at a number of sources that to me seemed relevant and serious.
Windows phone is on the rising...
That's not what I saw. To me it would be surprising with a sudden improvement, considering the fairly long downgoing trend I noticed on the links I supplied. What are your sources for that statement?
...and I believe Win10 will help.
Yes maybe, that's what I said also. It's possible but not an argument for Qnap to start any development until Win 10 is at least released and we see if it's a success or the same failure as Windows 8.
Global conspiracy, no. But there is a company called Google that is making an impact...
So a Google conspiracy... :wink:
...and how they act is starting to look a lot like MS and the start of their downfall.
Yes maybe. Nobody knows. However such slow turnings doesn't affect decisions today or even tomorrow of where to invest development resources.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
kayrune
Starting out

Post by kayrune »

Be prepared to be surprised, why don't you just bing it ;)

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-phon ... where-else
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

kayrune wrote:Be prepared to be surprised...
The only surprise was that you provided a link to the very article that you had already said was only for Europe, so not really interesting as an argument in this thread. I expected you had at least found something better when questioning my links, that provides both global sales numbers and installed base (in my opinion far more relevant in a thread like this). :roll:
...why don't you just bing it...
Nah, when I want to read MS marketing I prefer to look it up myself. Neither Bing nor Google is my preferred choice when it comes to searching.
Last edited by P3R on Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Features Wanted”