Filestation:all share-links visible for administration group

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
nikam
New here

Filestation:all share-links visible for administration group

Post by nikam »

Hello there,

As far as I can see in File Station a user sees only his own share-links even if the user is a adminstrator. Only the admin can see all the links from all users. I would like to have the possibility to enable certain Administrators also to see a all the links to control their relevance. Because I would like to have the user admin only als iron-man in case of some "emergency" and so I dont`t like to give the admin-password to anyone else. It would be generally a good thing when certain Administration-users could get kind of superuser-rights (almost that of the admin-user) except of deleting or changing the user admin and make other users to such superusers. So it would be possible to give the whole NAS-managing to an other person and nevertheless always have the possibilty to make controls as lets say "God" on the NAS, because the user admin is always there untouched.

Maybe this would be a good thing for better NAS-Management. In a professional environment the Sys-Admin can delegate the whole controlling of the NAS to another employee and at the same time keep an over all control on it.

best regards
Nikam
schumaku
Guru

Re: Filestation:all share-links visible for administration g

Post by schumaku »

Agree, the shared admin (root) is depreciated for _any_ management in fact - much better (to cover the "certain administrators") is a dedicated group where members can see and manage all shared links.
nikam
New here

Re: Filestation:all share-links visible for administration g

Post by nikam »

Hello,

Maybe somebody has a tipp for the following: Since Qnap has an ubuntu(linux)-OS it is with ssh-access possible to see and edit config.files of the OS. Maybe there is such a config.file that can be edited, so that other users can also see all share-links.
In the file /etc/passwd und /etc/group users can be edited. The root (in qnap called admin) has allways uid:0 and gid:0. Maybe it can be
done by adding a second user that has the same uid/gid, so that this user is also root. Normaly in Linux-systems this is possible but in Qnap?

Thank you for some comments.

have a nice day
Nikam

Return to “Features Wanted”