File Transfer Details for USB to NAS and NAS to USB Xfers

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
OptimusDru
New here

File Transfer Details for USB to NAS and NAS to USB Xfers

Post by OptimusDru »

I'm a NAS newbie, so maybe this is a feature that's already there and I'm completely missing it, but incase it isn't here is what I'd love to have.

I just got my TS-251. I decided it was time to step up to at the minimum a 2 bay, proper NAS. I got 2x4TB Seagate NAS drives along with it. I popped them in, let them format and synchronize and then started playing with backing my data up.

At first I used my machine to copy to the NAS. The rates weren't bad at all, a minimum sustained of about 70MBps with bursts of up to 110MBps (that I noticed anyway). Then I thought, well let me see if USB 3.0 directly connected might be better. Big mistake. I didn't really do any reading, everything worked so well up till then. So I connected the USB 3.0 external, copied the few directories I wanted to get on the NAS and pasted it in the directory I wanted them into. Suffice it to say, I can't find anywhere giving me a clue on what the file transfer speed is. After the fact, I did some reading and found out that I have to/should have used an app to do it, called "web file manager" or something like that.

Anyway, my suggestion is for some sort of automatic, built in tool to pop up with file transfer speed when files/directories/copy commands are made within the GUI...or maybe having the info feed into the dashboard, the way lan speed shows up there. So, for example, if I were to copy a file or directory from a connected USB drive to the NAS, or vice versa.

I double whammied and copied a huge directory too and it seems it will be taking much longer to copy it all over USB 3.0. Over the network I copied 300GB in 60m and I'm now copying 700GB in what seems to be turning out to be 4 hours. (1 hour has yielded 25%).
alfanse
New here

Re: File Transfer Details for USB to NAS and NAS to USB Xfer

Post by alfanse »

I would like to add my voice to OptimusDru's suggestion.

I have the TS-253 pro and am experimenting with the best way to get files onto the nas.
I'm finding it very difficult to know how its doing. The task manager shows the time it started and the percentage of files copied, but when its finished the record is lost and the final time taken is lost.

Could we have something as simple as a log entry for each command executed in the system logs?
If it had the command executed, time started and the time ended that would be enough for me to decided which strategy worked well.

For background, I'm using the File Station to copy files off a 1TB external Hard drive formatted in NTFS using the front usb3 connection.
I think it took just over 1 hour to transfer 148Gb of photo's.
I'd like to try doing via the terminal using Rsync, I read in the forum that this performs well.
I also read over the network performs well.

Would it be possible to have system logs for all 3 styles of file copying.
many thanks

Return to “Features Wanted”