normal Slimserver support [SqueezeCenter7 is up for testin!]

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
paulos77
New here

Re: normal Slimserver support [SqueezeCenter7 is up for testin!]

Post by paulos77 »

Great news!!!

Please keep us posted....like many others have mentioned, if SC7 is easy to install (or in future preinstalled) onto QNAP NAS I will be adovcating this to friends as a complimentary product for the Duet.
QNAP TS-109
Squeezebox Duet
PS3
fr0gg
New here

Post by fr0gg »

This thing is looking like a serious alternative for Squeezecenter users...
http://www.tinytuxbox.com/products.html

Anyone with any knowledge?
JOB245
Getting the hang of things

Post by JOB245 »

QNAPAndy wrote:Hi Guys,

I will writting a super easy version of the installation guide on QNAP NAS.
Please allow me a day or two for it, :)

so what was the main prob that you faced during the flipflip's guide?

Andy
Dear Andy
My first attempt was with the ver10 which initially had an instruction which made it hard to install. After the instruction was corrected (i.e. the archieve with SSODS for arm) had to be unziped outside of TS and then transfered) the installation went just fine. Starting to run, SC worked OK but the MySQL did not start to scan the archieve due to a typo in one of the files (ssctrl in/bin/). I tried to correct this but again entered into lots of difficulties. (I am not a perl programmer) Right now SC is not working so I am waiting for flipflips ver11 to be able to make a reinstall that will start MySQL (btw do I have to enable MySQL or does flipflips program handle this?)

The whole thing starts with post #190 on

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... 25&page=19

An explanation on whats going on follows -#193.

J-O
TS-209-Pro [RAID1] FW 3.3.0 build 0924T
2*WDC15 EARS-00J2GB080.0
SC 7.5.1 w. SSOTS 4.9
[D-Link DIR655][GigaLAN]
SB Duet
SB Boombox
AE aego
Tim-Ann
New here

Post by Tim-Ann »

Hi there,

Andy for me the main problems with the Beta SC7 and flipflip's guide is that I am not a Linux user so I'm very unsure and do not understand many of the comands and how to enter them in order to load SC7 onto my TS-109.

Also the threads on SlimServer are just over complicated with different peoples problems and the solutions what I need is a simple easy to follow guide with where to download and what to download SC7 (beta) and then how to put it onto the TS-109 using a Windows Vista machine. What tools do I need etc etc.

Hope this makes sense.

At the moment I'm thinking of moving to a Windows Home Server unit Tranquil or HP as that solution seems less complicated than all that I've read thus far about getting a basic version of SC7 onto a QNAP TS-109. Hopefully I won't have to and you can find a simple solution for myself and other like me.

Many thanks, Tim.
dumates
New here

Post by dumates »

Hi everybody,

I installed flipflip's SC7 on my TS209-Pro with no problems. Thanks for the great work and also thanks to QNAP for embracing SC on QNAP NAS'.

Has anybody tried Lame transcoding with SC7? Lame installs fine, and it's launched when it's required and stops when it's no longer needed, which were problems I noticed in my previous Slimserver (Progressive's SS-6.5.3) installation. My problem now is that Lame transcoding eats up all the CPU available, and even 100% CPU is not sufficient to sustain an uninterrupted stream. The bitrate and the quality settings seemingly don't have any effect. I get close to 100% CPU load even at 96kbps with the lowest quality setting (I verified that the settings are passed to lame command line). When lame stops transcoding, I go down to <10% CPU load, so there really is nothing else eating up the CPU cycles. All my files are in FLAC format.

Any ideas? Anybody has had any experience with this?

Best regards to all,

Dumates
JOB245

Post by JOB245 »

Tim-Ann wrote:Hi there,

Andy for me the main problems with the Beta SC7 and flipflip's guide is that I am not a Linux user so I'm very unsure and do not understand many of the comands and how to enter them in order to load SC7 onto my TS-109.

Also the threads on SlimServer are just over complicated with different peoples problems and the solutions what I need is a simple easy to follow guide with where to download and what to download SC7 (beta) and then how to put it onto the TS-109 using a Windows Vista machine. What tools do I need etc etc.

Hope this makes sense.

At the moment I'm thinking of moving to a Windows Home Server unit Tranquil or HP as that solution seems less complicated than all that I've read thus far about getting a basic version of SC7 onto a QNAP TS-109. Hopefully I won't have to and you can find a simple solution for myself and other like me.

Many thanks, Tim.
Tim

You will need Putty from here
http://www.putty.org/
A freeware just to download and install.
Once you have it, Flipflips install instruction is very easy to follow.
Download and Unzip Flipflips installation program ( the ssods etc...) for the servertype you have.
the TS 101 and 201 have PPC processors whereas the 109 and 209 have ARM processors. As you have a 109 you should use the ..."arm" version.
Download the unzipped files to the "Public" folder using the TurboStations (TS) web interface.
Download the Perl script for Slimcenter from the Squeezebox homepage and transfer it as is to the TS the same way you did with the installation program. (i.e. you should not try to "unzip" or open the SC 7 program before transfer. Flipflips program bundle takes care of this)
Now log onto the TS using PuTTY and follow flipflips instruction carefully.
Check where you have the unziped files (they will be in either HDA or MD0)
After SSODS is successfully installed go to the web interface for SSODS and install SC7 from there.
Start SC 7 and "point it" to your music files.
Now thing should work fine except for the fact that MySQL will not start due to a typo in one of the scripts. You will still be able to find your music but you can not search for album, category etc. Until this is fixed which it will be in the next release (11, not out yet).
You can now set up your Duet or Squeezebox on your network.

Good luck
J-O
TS-209-Pro [RAID1] FW 3.3.0 build 0924T
2*WDC15 EARS-00J2GB080.0
SC 7.5.1 w. SSOTS 4.9
[D-Link DIR655][GigaLAN]
SB Duet
SB Boombox
AE aego
simpan
Starting out

Post by simpan »

Could you please post a link to FlipFlips instructions?
Thanks
ptrendy
New here

Post by ptrendy »

simpan wrote:Could you please post a link to FlipFlips instructions?
Thanks

http://oinkzwurgl.org/?action=browse;ol ... d=ssods_ts
JIMTS101SC7
New here

Post by JIMTS101SC7 »

Dear Andy

I tried to install FlipFlips script but I had lots of "Bad Activation" errors.
I read in his release notes that TS101 is not tested.

I managed to install Slimserver 6 on my QNAP TS101 so I can do some limited operations myself.

But looking at the required modifications proposed by "Shawkie" to get the script working on a TS101 was outside the range of my skills.

So what I would love to see is a simple script that works on the TS101.

Kid regards

Jim
paulos77
New here

Post by paulos77 »

Can anyone help?

I’ve successfully down loaded SC7 on my NAS 109. It starts up but I can’t access the SC7 menu with the address it gives. It gives it as http://<name>:9000. this doesn’t appear to exist so I’ve tried http://<IP address>:9000 and this does nothing. I waited 20 mins for something to happen, but nothing. I’ve switched the UPnP off on the NAS in case of a clash, but still nothing. FlipFlip’s download guide worked fine up till then. Can anyone help?

Will I ever be able to use TwonkyMedia and SC7 on my NAS or will one always have to be switched off?

Paul
QNAP TS-109
Squeezebox Duet
PS3
jbloggs
New here

Post by jbloggs »

Hi Andy:

Another vote here for native support on the QNAP TS-x09 (Pro) range for SC7, would be greatly appreciated by me, as one of the main reasons I am buying a QNAP TS-209 (Pro) is to store/play music files on a Squeezebox....
simonjedrake

Post by simonjedrake »

paulos77 wrote:Can anyone help?

I’ve successfully down loaded SC7 on my NAS 109. It starts up but I can’t access the SC7 menu with the address it gives. It gives it as http://<name>:9000. this doesn’t appear to exist so I’ve tried http://<IP address>:9000 and this does nothing. I waited 20 mins for something to happen, but nothing. I’ve switched the UPnP off on the NAS in case of a clash, but still nothing. FlipFlip’s download guide worked fine up till then. Can anyone help?
Will I ever be able to use TwonkyMedia and SC7 on my NAS or will one always have to be switched off?
Paul
Try using Port 9099 instead to access the SC7 menu, should be ok. Read http://oinkzwurgl.org/ssods_ts

Simon
QNAP TS-239 (v 3.8.2). Seagate Barracuda ES 1000GB x 2. SSOTS 4.14 SBS 7.7.2-33893
QNAP TS-109 Pro (v 3.3.2 build 0918T). Seagate Barracuda ES 750GB.
2 x wireless SB3, 1 x wireless SB2, & 1 x SB Controller. Controlled via iPeng (the best app for the iPad/iPhone) with SBS Spotify app
& an old Qnap TS-101 (v 2.5.0 build 1210T) for secondary backup.
Panasonic BL-C210 & BL-C160 Wireless Cameras
paulos77
New here

Post by paulos77 »

simonjedrake wrote:
paulos77 wrote:Can anyone help?

Paul
Try using Port 9099 instead to access the SC7 menu, should be ok. Read http://oinkzwurgl.org/ssods_ts

Simon

Port 9099 is flipflips menu and work fine. i used it to install sc7 but once it's started it tells you to use port 9000 to access the sc7 web interface. Port 9000 doesn't do anything (except use TwonkyMedia when the UPnP is switched on). Port 9001 still operates slimserver v6.5, should this be uninstalled and if so how? I bought the qnap ts109 with it pre-installed.
QNAP TS-109
Squeezebox Duet
PS3
trefork

Post by trefork »

QNAPAndy wrote:I will writting a super easy version of the installation guide on QNAP NAS.
Hi Andy,

Any update on if/when SC7 will be included in the normal QNAP firmware?
ptrendy
New here

Post by ptrendy »

Taken from ripcaster.co.uk:-

Uninstalling SlimServer from the TS-109 or TS-209
Following these instructions will uninstall SlimServer from a TS-109 or TS-209. Please enter the commands exactly as shown as case is important.

Use putty to connect to the QNAP. The hostname is the IP address of the QNAP as displayed by the QNAP Finder application.
At the login prompt (#) use the username admin and password admin.
At the command prompt enter (on a TS-109 or TS-209 with single drive):
cd /share/HDA_DATA/Public
On a TS-209 with dual RAID drives enter:

cd /share/MD0_DATA/Public
Enter the command:
./install-ts10x-20x.sh uninstall
The unistall process will remove SlimServer from the system. You may be prompted to run the above command again if prompted.

Return to “Features Wanted”