LDAP server: would like to access addresses from any client

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
ydebilloez
New here

Re: LDAP server: would like to access addresses from any cli

Post by ydebilloez »

LDAP integration for authentication would be nice

I would like to have 1) ldap authentication for admin log-in
ldap authentication for webdav, samba and shared twonkmedia folders

Vote +1
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

LDAP integration is in the queue for v3.5 firmware as announced during Computex these days.

The frist priority has certainly the authentication to access to the shared resources (Microsoft File Share, AFP, ftp, WebDAV, Web File Manager ...), similar to what is possible by using AD credentials (Username domain\username) today - can't tell you how i.e. the DownloadStationV2 will be integrated. Unless I'm wrong, DSv2 login does not work from AD.

The admin account is a local account, and can unlikley be sustituted by an LDAP authentication. Again, I don't know if there will be a way to have a global or per-NAS host specific groups tat can be used as administrators.
Know my way around

Post by 2326766 »

After installing the 3.5 beta I was disappointed to see that the LDAP is essentially a client and it needs to point to a LDAP server for integration into the NAS.

Although this is a step in the right direction, I would like to see an LDAP server option.

Since there is an OpenLDAP Qpkg plugin available, maybe it can be made part of the official QNAP firmware like some others (ie..antivirus, radius, etc...)

Thanks.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

2326766 wrote:After installing the 3.5 beta I was disappointed to see that the LDAP is essentially a client and it needs to point to a LDAP server for integration into the NAS.
This is clearly ment to allow the NAS integrate into enterprise LDAP infrastructures where ActiveDirectory is not available. Examples are organisations with existing OpenLDAP or commercial grade directory infrastructures in place, or the raising number of OS X Server environments.

All requests in this thread are going into this direction.
Know my way around

Post by 2326766 »

player12 wrote:I would like to see a openLDAP server - then I could access all the addresses from any client (PC / SNOM VoIP phones / laptops)...

like:
http://www.openldap.org/
Yes, it appears the thread took a different direction from the original post.

I think by having an official OpenLDAP qpkg was a step in the right direction, and thought by combining both capabilities of an LDAP server and the new LDAP client in the firmware would be a win win.

My other disappointment is that after the firmware install, the OpenLDAP qpkg is broken, so I will downgrade from the beta for now unless I can fix the qpkg.
Know my way around

Post by 2326766 »

I posted below to another thread, but thought it would be interesting for some who only follow this thread.

"Cristian (internaut19) helped get the OpenLDAP qpkg working again, with the beta firmware.

Now there is a samba domain name (sambaDomainName=QNAP) I see when using phpldapadmin to manage the ldap entries.

This is good if clients want to authenticate to the NAS as a DC, but haven't tested this yet."

Mike

Return to “Features Wanted”