Support for new 4Tb drives

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
szhjcn
Getting the hang of things

Re: Support for new 4Tb drives

Post by szhjcn »

sl1000 wrote:Why would you think that QNAP wouldn't already be working on 4TB drive support?

:-) I hope you are obviously difficult to add until you have some hardware to play with. Actually just hope this pushes the price of 3Tb drives down as 6x4tb's might be a bit overkill, but my 6x 1.5's are about to burst.

Interesting how 'off topic' this thread went.

Also off topic, any plans to move to newer atom processors with lower power but higher performance. Read about some new chips Intel were planning but delayed due to problems with the in-built graphics. If the graphics could be disabled sounded like a possible improvement. Just read the article (linked below) again and it's the drivers for Win7 that are the issue, not the chip.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/22/ceda ... -november/

Obviously thinking of moving to a newer NAS with SATA III support, not that the drives etc.. will be that much quicker, as I assume the bottleneck is not really the interface but reading the platters. However with higher density this should improve things too.
lbouchard
Starting out

Post by lbouchard »

so, can we get an update on the support for 4 TB drives ?
Louis Bouchard
Chicoutimi, QC, Canada
QNAP TS-869L upgraded -- 3000.7 MB memory -- with 8 * Hitachi Storage (HSGT) 4TB Deskstar HDS5C4040ALE6030 disk fw: MPA0A3B0
Single 21.78TB Storage Pool in Raid6 -- Single 21.57 Data volume -- QNAP fw: QTS 4.1.0 Build 20140612
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Can't see why ie. 4 TB drives should not work in the NAS. Please be aware of the 16 TB pre-volume size limit for 32 bit systems - this can be limiting for some NAS models actually on 32 bit OS due to several reasons.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

As I've said on a another thread, only use these if you have a fast box such as the x79 series, otherwise they will grind the smaller bay units to a halt.
xoxide101
Know my way around

Post by xoxide101 »

I have to be honest

I have a 5 drive unit i need more space on .. its 2x5 at the moment.. i can go 3x5 but if the support is there i would just go 4x5 and not waste time in the migration and upgrade

5x2=8 useable
5x3 = 12 useable
5x4 = 16 useable
So for me 2x the space would be ideal if i could do it.

Hitatchi once again is on the market first.. so .. will it work is the question or DO I NEED you folks to help with a patch :) like when i did the first round of Hitatchi 3tb drives haha.. leave it to me to want to push your units.. but .. i do have 40 of them total

Jeff
AssetBurned

Post by AssetBurned »

more important then support for 4TB hard disks would be support to let the RAID grow to sizes above 16TB :-/ That is clearly something you can reach even with NAS models that have less then 6 bays and more (and even less bays if you count with 4TB hard disks).
Happy converter from a Drobo to a TS-659Pro+ now with a mix of discs in a RAID-5 (Hitachi, Samsung and WD) and a single disc that want to be replaced soon :-)
NAS: TS-659P+ | F/W: 3.6.1 Build 0302T | RAID-5 (I will check this later) + Single Disc (WD10EACS) | QPKG: IPKG, Pyload, AirVideo and some others | IPKG: nothing
N/W: Apple Airport Extreme Gigabit+802.11n, Airport Express 802.11n
R.J.
New here

Post by R.J. »

Any word yet on 4TB support?
onlyalex
Experience counts

Post by onlyalex »

R.J. wrote:Any word yet on 4TB support?
http://www.qnap.com/PressRelease_detail.asp?pr_id=309

Cheers
Nas1: Qnap TS-809 Pro "3.7.1 Build 0615"
Nas2: Qnap TS-119 "3.5.0 Build0816"
Nas3: Qnap TS-119P+ "3.5.0 Build0816"
Nas4: Qnap TS-212 "3.6.0 Build0210"
Nas5: Qnap TS-259 Pro+"3.5.0 Build 0815"
Nas6: Qnap TS-459 Pro II "3.5.0 Build 0815"
iPad2: 64Gig 3G "iOS 6"
UPS: APC Back-UPS RS 550VA

QNAP Comparison Cart HERE | 1Bay | 2Bay | 4Bay | 5Bay | 6Bay | 8Bay | 1U | 2U |
QNAP Compatibility List HERE | Online User Manual | Tutorials | Frequently Asked Questions |
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

DO NOT put 4TB in the lower spec Qnaps or any other low spec NAS for that matter, you are asking for a lot of trouble, trust me.

The processors/ram will not cope.

If you need alot of space and want to use 4TBs, stick to the x79 range.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

storageman wrote:DO NOT put 4TB in the lower spec Qnaps or any other low spec NAS for that matter, you are asking for a lot of trouble, trust me.
Why not? When users are aware they try to run what used to be a big datacente in a tiny box, driven by a mobile phone processor, ... things take thier time - and everything works. Of course, from 128 MB DRAM, there can't be a lot of cache. You get what you pay for - for the fun of it: I quickly plugged a 4 GB enclosure to my Galaxy Nexus ... works like a charm. For what are 4 TB storage good for ona mobile phone? I don't know, too.

I agreee: When it comes to a production environment reasonable performance, regaining redundancy after HDD failures in certain time windows, ... there is no way around high-end machines. But this is not direct related to 3 TB or 4 TB spindles in my opinion.

When reading about hte ideas, intentions, and plans using ie a four bay ARM unit "to provide iSCSI storage some virtual machines, to act as a file stroage, to play music, to stream video, and to cook coffee" I'm sometimes concenred, too.

So what exactly are your concerns?
illidan155

Post by illidan155 »

sl1000 wrote:Why would you think that QNAP wouldn't already be working on 4TB drive support?
Quote it would be stupid if aren't, since they build product specialized in storage :D

Return to “Features Wanted”