Background copy/move (filemanager)

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
butcher
Been there, done that

Background copy/move (filemanager)

Post by butcher »

Hallo qnap

please consider an option to copy/move large amount of files to be copy/moved in a background process. (browser based).

Not sure how thats could be made, but...
When you select destination (for the copy or move) there could be a option to make it a internal task on the NAS and the process of that task could be view on the buttom of the filemanager page.

My 2 cents - anyway thanks for a great nas!
QNAP TVS-EC1080+ w/8* Hitatchi 4Tb (HDS724040ALE640) (RAID6) - FW: 5.0.0.1858 build 20211119 from 4.5.4.1800 build 20210923 (And I really wish I stayed on that)
QNAP TS-879U-RP w/ 8 * Hitatchi 4Tb (HDS724040ALE640) (RAID6) - 4.3.6.1831 build 20211019
QNAP TS-809 Pro w/ 8 * Kingston 120GB SSD (SH103S3/120G) (RAID6) - 4.2.6 build 20210327
P3R
Guru

Re: Background copy/move (filemanager)

Post by P3R »

It's already available. All Web File Manager tasks does happen within the NAS and even if you close the browser, the selected action will continue in the background until it is finished.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

P3R wrote:even if you close the browser, the selected action will continue in the background until it is finished.
i already knew it moved internally, just didn't know it continued doing so even after you close the browser :d nice info.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

To be very clear: when I said all tasks I meant all copying/moving within the NAS. Doing downloads/uploads from other sources will of course be dependant of those sources being active also.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
butcher
Been there, done that

Post by butcher »

P3R wrote:It's already available. All Web File Manager tasks does happen within the NAS and even if you close the browser, the selected action will continue in the background until it is finished.
Hi P3R

Nice info - thanks.... But would be nice it there was an option to queue the task so that you can continue other tasks (e.g you have more then 1 copy / move you have to do).. As it is now you either have to wait because the processbar "blocks" other inputs or you have to close your browser which I dont prefer.

Anyway thanks for the info.

/Butcher
QNAP TVS-EC1080+ w/8* Hitatchi 4Tb (HDS724040ALE640) (RAID6) - FW: 5.0.0.1858 build 20211119 from 4.5.4.1800 build 20210923 (And I really wish I stayed on that)
QNAP TS-879U-RP w/ 8 * Hitatchi 4Tb (HDS724040ALE640) (RAID6) - 4.3.6.1831 build 20211019
QNAP TS-809 Pro w/ 8 * Kingston 120GB SSD (SH103S3/120G) (RAID6) - 4.2.6 build 20210327
geva

Post by geva »

I agree that it would be nice if there was some sort of queueing available.. like just a link on the top that said something like...

"Copy/move/extract/compress operation in progress"

You could then click on it in order to cancel it or see the progress (it would bring up the progress dialog).

This would be really handy for large copies, making large archives, as well as being able to see and cancel pending tasks if you lose and reconnect to the web interface.

geva
mey-zing
New here

Post by mey-zing »

A File Transfer Queue with progress status would be a great addition to the file manager. Today we have sit while the transfers are made so we can begin new ones. Closing the browser window doesn't seem right because we lose the progress and if we start a new operation it will probably run concurrently with the previous ones, right?
jas2000
Starting out

Post by jas2000 »

is it possible the with the new firmware 4.0.x, the copy process doesn't stay in the background if i close the web browser?
yynatago
New here

Post by yynatago »

Say I've started copying files using the Web manager's file station, then closed the browser down, and then re opened the web manager and file station. How do I know when the copying has finished? I expect to see some sort of progress bar indicating that it is still copying, similar to what was showing before shutting down the browser.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

yynatago wrote:Say I've started copying files using the Web manager's file station, then closed the browser down, and then re opened the web manager and file station. How do I know when the copying has finished? I expect to see some sort of progress bar indicating that it is still copying, similar to what was showing before shutting down the browser.
You don't. Lesson learnt: Do not use completely inadequate and not-fit-for-purpose tools. Any of this web file manager nonsense should be used only if absolutely unavoidable; for anything else, there's bazillion of applications available for your desktop/mobile phone etc.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

yynatago wrote:Say I've started copying files using the Web manager's file station, then closed the browser down, and then re opened the web manager and file station. How do I know when the copying has finished?
Neither designed nor intended for this usage.
yynatago wrote: I expect to see some sort of progress bar indicating that it is still copying, similar to what was showing before shutting down the browser.
What's not there as a feature can't be displayed. That's what the OP topic is about - a feature to be added.
yynatago
New here

Post by yynatago »

doktornotor wrote:there's bazillion of applications available for your desktop/mobile phone etc.
I have not found one yet. Maybe I'm too new to it all. The getting started website http://www.qnap.com/single_page.php?sn=161&lang=en shows:
  • QSync, which seems like Dropbox, where the NAS is the cloud storage location
  • QNAP NetBak Replicator, which appears to be a file backup solution from computer to NAS
  • Qfile, appears to Android/Apple specific.
  • Qget, is a download manager, not a file manager.
Qnap only seems to refer to the browser based file management: http://www.qnap.com/en/index.php?lang=en&sn=5208

What would you recommend for Windows 7 and/or XP for file management stuff like copying from one location on the NAS to another?

Regards,
Yynatago
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

yynatago wrote: I have not found one yet.
Is this a joke? You have not found a Windows file manager? :roll: :roll: :roll:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+file+manager
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

The QNAP Web based File Station (Web File Manager before QTS 4) can be used top copy between the folders.

Obvious, Windows Explorer can be used - this requires all data travelling over the network twice.

Everything is interactive - neither File Station nor File Explorer are intended for background (batch) processing.
yynatago
New here

Post by yynatago »

doktornotor wrote: Is this a joke? You have not found a Windows file manager? :roll: :roll: :roll:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+file+manager
What's with the condescending attitude? That does not answer my question.
schumaku wrote:Obvious, Windows Explorer can be used - this requires all data travelling over the network twice.

Everything is interactive - neither File Station nor File Explorer are intended for background (batch) processing.

Thanks Schumaku, I guess the Web manager's file station is my best bet to let it do copy/move files locally on the NAS.

Return to “Features Wanted”