Understanding what the QNAP is telling me

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
DaveRook
Starting out

Understanding what the QNAP is telling me

Post by DaveRook »

I had 2 hard drives, the QNAP reported one is dying. Fine. Turns out, both of my hard drives were dying. So, due to lack of funds, I purchased a single new WD Red Hard Drive. I've put it in, and QNAP informed me it was mirroring and would take a few hours. Those hours have well passed, but, the Volume management screen shows I have disk read/write errors on both hard drives (with the 'old' hard drive SMART status as warning, the new one as good), only 1 hard drive is detected in the Raid management panel, and in the HDD Smart panel, it shows both of my hard drives as "abnormal"

My first question is, why does it show only 1 hard drive in the RAID management panel? It was mirroring (or so it told me) so I assumed that would mean it was in RAID)

My second question is, does this mean my new disc is faulty, or, could it be because I am copying from a failing hard drive? Could the QNAP itself be causing the issue (I doubt it, but it is nice to have it verified)

Images for the above attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by DaveRook on Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Re: Understanding what the QNAP is telling me

Post by doktornotor »

It's telling you to replace garbage Seagate drives with something suitable for NAS/RAID. Your replacement drive looks like DoA as well. Impossible to provide any details since you chose to provide the completely useless "Summary" screenshot, instead of SMART Information tab.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
DaveRook
Starting out

Post by DaveRook »

Original post updated.

The new hard drive seems OK in some screens which is odd...

What do we think?
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

DaveRook wrote:Original post updated.

I wish you hadn't done that. It changes the flow of the thread, and makes it impossible for future readers of this thread to follow it.
It also means "helpers" have to re-read the entire thread to see what you did to the original message.

Doing this was a disservice to yourself, your Helpers, and the QNAP Community generally. Going forward, perhaps you could use the "Quote" button, instead of the "Reply" button, so you can reply directly to specific points made by those who reply to you.

(Simply remove any parts you aren't directly replying to, if you use the "Quote" feature. It is far easier to understand threads when people take the time to use the Quote feature properly).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
DaveRook
Starting out

Post by DaveRook »

Going forward, perhaps you could use the "Quote" button, instead of the "Reply" button, so you can reply directly to specific points made by those who reply to you
Understood.

Now the site rules are clear, do you have any idea or suggestions about fixing the issue?
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

DaveRook wrote:
Going forward, perhaps you could use the "Quote" button, instead of the "Reply" button, so you can reply directly to specific points made by those who reply to you
Understood.

Now the site rules are clear, do you have any idea or suggestions about fixing the issue?
Replace both drives, setup from scratch, and restore your most recent Backup or submit a ticket with the QNAP Helpdesk, and wait for QNAP to contact you.

Claim warranty as necessary. Going forward avoid the Seagate ST3000DM001 drives for your internal NAS Drives.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
can00k
Starting out

Post by can00k »

DaveRook wrote:I had 2 hard drives, the QNAP reported one is dying. Fine. Turns out, both of my hard drives were dying. So, due to lack of funds, I purchased a single new WD Red Hard Drive. I've put it in, and QNAP informed me it was mirroring and would take a few hours. Those hours have well passed, but, the Volume management screen shows I have disk read/write errors on both hard drives (with the 'old' hard drive SMART status as warning, the new one as good), only 1 hard drive is detected in the Raid management panel, and in the HDD Smart panel, it shows both of my hard drives as "abnormal"

My first question is, why does it show only 1 hard drive in the RAID management panel? It was mirroring (or so it told me) so I assumed that would mean it was in RAID)

My second question is, does this mean my new disc is faulty, or, could it be because I am copying from a failing hard drive? Could the QNAP itself be causing the issue (I doubt it, but it is nice to have it verified)

Images for the above attached.
What do the errors look like in the System Event logs?

I've had a similar situation from multiple QNAP NAS boxes in recent months. In fact, it happened to me a fourth time last night. You can search my recent posts for that saga.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”