Setting up Raid 5: did I do something wrong?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
gatto_mannaro
Getting the hang of things

Setting up Raid 5: did I do something wrong?

Post by gatto_mannaro »

Hi all!
after some trials yesterday I finally installed the raid5 on 4 x3TB disks
It seems to work now, but I get an error message that sounds like a red alarm...
This is what I did:
Installed the disks, created a storage pool set as raid5, created a volume and I got a space 8.16tb that should be correct
The volume is 100% free BUT I'm getting an alarm regarding the storage pool.
Checking this voice in the menu I can read:
Capacity: 8.16
Allocated: 8.16
Free Space 0
and the error message: storage pool used size hits threshold etc etc

moreover, copying files on the NAS now, the system looks quite slow
Please give me a hint!!!
GM
Last edited by gatto_mannaro on Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Don
Guru

Re: Setting up Raid 5: did I do something wrong?

Post by Don »

Drives probably still synchronizing so access will be slow until complete. Lacking a real error message, or NAS model, or firmware version, etc etc, I would say set the size alarm threshold to zero. I think that will stop the messages. Don't have access to a NAS right now but you could also read the manual on how to set the alarm thresholds.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
gatto_mannaro
Getting the hang of things

Re: Setting up Raid 5: did I do something wrong?

Post by gatto_mannaro »

Don wrote:Drives probably still synchronizing so access will be slow until complete. Lacking a real error message, or NAS model, or firmware version, etc etc, I would say set the size alarm threshold to zero. I think that will stop the messages. Don't have access to a NAS right now but you could also read the manual on how to set the alarm thresholds.
Hello thanx for your feedback
Qnap 469L with firmware 4.1 something

here the storage pool setup
http://oi58.tinypic.com/2uti5ig.jpg

and here the error
http://oi61.tinypic.com/wbqe4l.jpg

yes, if I disable the alert I don't receive messages anymore.... but it sounds strange that it is the correct procedure
thank you!!!
GM

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”