Move system config drive

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
studiox
Starting out

Move system config drive

Post by studiox »

Hi,

I've just upgraded from the 459 Pro II+ to a new 853 Pro. My frist 4 drives I just moved over and Everything worked as expected.

However my 2 first drives in the old 459 were configured in RAID-0 and the last two in RAID-1. The Raid-1 has been migraded into a new Raid-5 (4 new disk + the 2 "old" ones) and Everything is happy.

The first two however in Raid-0 has issues. Is there any way to move the volume that stores the firmware config data to the Raid-5 volume? I have r/w errors on the 2:th drive in the RAID-0 and that complicates things. I'd like to run a few badblocks tests on the RAID-0 to see if it's worth trying to rescue that drive (I've used RAID-0 as I store stuff there that I can loose) - The drives are 2x3TB so I'd prefer to rescue that stuff (mostly ripped BD disks from my BD players, takes forever to do again)

Any advice would be helpful .
Don
Guru

Re: Move system config drive

Post by Don »

No way to move. If you lose one of those raid 0 drives your NAS is going down. Backup your data to the raid 5 array and rebuild the NAS using raid 1 for those two drives.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

When I read the opening post I get the impression that all disks are now in the 853 and that the current configuration consists of a RAID 0 system volume (with a faulty disk) + an additional RAID 5 (previously migrated from RAID 1).

If that is the situation I see no other solution but to backup all data externally, totally reinitialize the NAS with healthy disks only and then restore the data from the backup.

As far as I know there is no way to reuse the RAID 5 volume containing data if the NAS has been rebuilt in the way Don suggests.

But then again I may have misunderstood something here, in which case I apologize for interrupting.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

If the raid 5 drives are pulled and the system rebuilt then the raid 5 drives should be able to be added back to the system and have them recognized. I would however 1) check with QNAP support, 2) have a backup!
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”