NAS won't initialize or detect HDDs

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
BostromNZ
Starting out

NAS won't initialize or detect HDDs

Post by BostromNZ »

Hi,

I have a TS-220 running 4.1.3 (20150408) and 2x WD 3Gb Red HDDs.

The NAS had been running perfectly for 1+ year but I had to shut it down for a few days. Before starting it up again I removed the HDD bays to clean some dust out, general maintenance. After plugging it back in and turning it on I get a flashing green status light (every 0.5 sec) - indicating that the NAS has not been initialized or the disks are not formatted. I tried leaving it overnight but there was no change.

QFinder finds the NAS but says that it needs to be initialized. I've tried turning it on without the HDDs plugged in and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I plug in a single HDD but QFinder keeps saying "Hard Drive Missing" and doesn't detect them if I plug them in after or turn it on with the HDDs plugged in already. I have tried resetting the NAS but that made no difference either.

I have tried using PuTTy to ssh in and when I run fdisk it does not detech sda or sdb when both disks are plugged in. Also, mechanically it sounds like the HDDs are trying to spin up but not getting there, there is a constant "spin start' sound.. hope you know what I mean, hard to describe.

When I try to reach the system admin through a browser it returns an error that the server did not send any data.

I have tried turning it off and on, removing the drives and trying different combinations, resetting but all to no avail. I have searched and searched but can't find a fix, only people with similar issues. I apologise if I haven't provided all information, I can't login to get logs.

I refuse to believe that both drives have failed.. any help?
CylonCenturion

Re: NAS won't initialize or detect HDDs

Post by CylonCenturion »

does the NAS boot's without the HD's?
BostromNZ
Starting out

Post by BostromNZ »

CylonCenturion wrote:does the NAS boot's without the HD's?
It boots, goes through the green/red flashing sequence, gets to the second beep and then starts the 0.5 flashing green status. It's the same with no drives, one drive or both drives plugged in. When the drives are plugged in, they get flashing green lights (intermittent - like they're being accessed like normal).

Also, the LAN status blinks orange like usual.
CylonCenturion

Post by CylonCenturion »

removed for security reasons by myself, to protect the user.
Last edited by CylonCenturion on Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

CylonCenturion wrote:are you able to reset the NAS to factory settings by inserting the HD's ( both ) and press the reset button with a paperclip
or a small pen:

You can find the reset button on the back of the nas.
Do not do it if you are not sure. you may loose data.

Bad advice. It might come down to this "solution", but this should be the "last" effort attempted rather than the "first".

Proceed as follows:
  1. Turn off your NAS
  2. Eject all drives. (Don't remove them, just eject them by 1"/3cm so they are no longer connected to the SATA Bus).
  3. Turn on the NAS. (You'll hear a short "beep")
  4. After 2-3 minutes, a long beep will be heard, and the NAS can be seen in QNAP Finder
  5. Hot-plug all HDDs into the NAS (Do not power off the NAS. Do not follow the quick setup)
  6. Access your NAS via SSH (using PuTTY if you are a Windows user) (Note: it's IP address may have changed, use QNAP Finder if necessary to determine it's IP address)
    Login with "admin"/"admin"
  7. Execute the following commands on the NAS:

Code: Select all

config_util 1
    storage_boot_init 1
    sleep 30
    storage_boot_init 2
    config_util 4
    mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/ext
    cp /etc/default_config/uLinux.conf /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/
    rm -r /etc/config
    ln -sf /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config /etc/config
    cd /share/Public
    wget http://download.qnap.com/Storage/TS-220TurboNAS/TS-220_20150522-4.1.4.zip
    unzip TS-220_20150522-4.1.4.zip
    ln -f TS-220_20150522-4.1.4.img TS-220_20150522-4.1.4-work.img
    ln -sf /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update /mnt/update
    /etc/init.d/update.sh TS-220_20150522-4.1.4-work.img
    setcfg -f /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/uLinux.conf Misc 'Reset Password Switch' TRUE
    setcfg -f /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/uLinux.conf Misc Configured "TRUE" 
    setcfg -f /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/uLinux.conf Login 'SSH Enable' "TRUE"
    setcfg -f /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/uLinux.conf Login 'SSH Port' '22'
    setcfg -f /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/uLinux.conf System 'Force SSL' '0'
    sleep 2
    echo "Done." 
    #done

Please cut&paste the entire contents of this SSH session back to this message thread.
If the update went successfully, reboot the NAS. At this point you should be able to access the NAS Admin WebUI, with "admin"/"admin".

Please let me know the outcome.

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following, and please provide answers to those questions within this message thread.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
BostromNZ
Starting out

Post by BostromNZ »

Thanks Patrick,

I followed your instructions and those of QNAP support after I logged a ticket. QNAP ended up remoting in to have a look as well.

Long story short, it is a hardware fault, I'm guessing either the sata connectors or the PCB as I tested the HDDs via a PC and they are fine. It is currently going through the RMA process.

Thanks for your help.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”