Upgrading Capacilty Procedure

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
jmv
Know my way around

Upgrading Capacilty Procedure

Post by jmv »

Hi,

I have a QNAP TS-239 Pro II+ with 2x2TB drives in RAID 1 (mirror) mode.
I want to upgrade capacity with 2x4TB drives in RAID 1 mode.

What is the procedure to perform this ?

Thanks
pwilson
Guru

Re: Upgrading Capacilty Procedure

Post by pwilson »

jmv wrote:Hi,

I have a QNAP TS-239 Pro II+ with 2x2TB drives in RAID 1 (mirror) mode.
I want to upgrade capacity with 2x4TB drives in RAID 1 mode.

What is the procedure to perform this ?

Thanks
Check out the Expanding Capacity (Online RAID Capacity Expansion) section of the fine manual. :shock:

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
jmv
Know my way around

Post by jmv »

Thanks a lot Patrick. :D
Teulon
First post

Post by Teulon »

Hi,

I hope some one can help me with an issue I ran into while expanding capacity on my TS-419P+ NAS.

I have a TS-419P+ configured with a 4x2T RAID5. Firmware 4.0.2 Build 20130726.

I recently had Disk 3 go bad on me so I was able to replace the drive with a new 2T Seagate drive and RAID5 was rebuilt and everything was running just fine. I was also reaching the full storage capacity of the RAID5. So I decided this would be a good time to expand the capacity of the RAID5 by replacing the 4 2T Seagate drives with 4 3T drives (Seagate ST3000VN000-1H41SC43).

Followed the instructions in a RAID Management document for Expanding Capacity (Online RAID Capacity Expansion). Everything was going fine and according to the plan until I inserted the new 3T drive into the NAS. After inserting the new drive in I should have heard a beep from the NAS but there was no beep. RAID did not start to rebuild and is running in a degraded mode. Not sure what to do now. Under Volume Management Current Configuration: Physical Disks are all Ready and Good.

Entries from the system log:
Drive 1 plugged out.
[RAID5 Disk Volume: Drive 1 2 3 4] Drive 1 removed.
[RAID5 Disk Volume: Drive 1 2 3 4] Raid device in degraded mode.
Drive 1 plugged in.
[RAID5 Disk Volume: Drive 1 2 3 4] Add drive 1 to the volume failed.

At this point can I remove the 3T drive that I inserted and try another drive, or will this cause more problems?

Any suggestion on how to proceed would really be welcome. Don't want to lose any of my data.

Thank you in advance.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Teulon wrote:Hi,

I hope some one can help me with an issue I ran into while expanding capacity on my TS-419P+ NAS.

I have a TS-419P+ configured with a 4x2T RAID5. Firmware 4.0.2 Build 20130726.

I recently had Disk 3 go bad on me so I was able to replace the drive with a new 2T Seagate drive and RAID5 was rebuilt and everything was running just fine. I was also reaching the full storage capacity of the RAID5. So I decided this would be a good time to expand the capacity of the RAID5 by replacing the 4 2T Seagate drives with 4 3T drives (Seagate ST3000VN000-1H41SC43).

Followed the instructions in a RAID Management document for Expanding Capacity (Online RAID Capacity Expansion). Everything was going fine and according to the plan until I inserted the new 3T drive into the NAS. After inserting the new drive in I should have heard a beep from the NAS but there was no beep. RAID did not start to rebuild and is running in a degraded mode. Not sure what to do now. Under Volume Management Current Configuration: Physical Disks are all Ready and Good.

Entries from the system log:
Drive 1 plugged out.
[RAID5 Disk Volume: Drive 1 2 3 4] Drive 1 removed.
[RAID5 Disk Volume: Drive 1 2 3 4] Raid device in degraded mode.
Drive 1 plugged in.
[RAID5 Disk Volume: Drive 1 2 3 4] Add drive 1 to the volume failed.

At this point can I remove the 3T drive that I inserted and try another drive, or will this cause more problems?

Any suggestion on how to proceed would really be welcome. Don't want to lose any of my data.

Thank you in advance.
Yes you can hot-swap HDD1 again with a different drive. It has already been "logically removed", so you can "physically" remove it anytime.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”