Red/green flashing light - disk error?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Padzster
Getting the hang of things

Red/green flashing light - disk error?

Post by Padzster »

Hi
I've noticed that the NAS has been very slow to access recently so had a look at it and found the power light to be flashing green/red every 0.5s roughly.
So (I don't know if I should have done this) but I held down the power button for a while until it powered off. I then powered it on again. I waited a while but the green/red flashing situation continued but this time the NAS was not accessible from my Mac or any other device.

I have left it overnight to see if it's "doing" anything. I've now found it to be still flashing but now the the light for the second HDD is red. The NAS is still not accessible.

I'm now panicking a bit and don't want to do anything wrong.

Can anyone help please?
TS-421, firmware 4.1.1, RAID 5, WD RED discs
TS-219, firmware 4.1.1, RAID 1, Seagate discs
Squeezebox Boom
Squeezebox Radio
36"28"36" :)
pwilson
Guru

Re: Red/green flashing light - disk error?

Post by pwilson »

Padzster wrote:Hi
I've noticed that the NAS has been very slow to access recently so had a look at it and found the power light to be flashing green/red every 0.5s roughly.
So (I don't know if I should have done this) but I held down the power button for a while until it powered off. I then powered it on again. I waited a while but the green/red flashing situation continued but this time the NAS was not accessible from my Mac or any other device.

I have left it overnight to see if it's "doing" anything. I've now found it to be still flashing but now the the light for the second HDD is red. The NAS is still not accessible.

I'm now panicking a bit and don't want to do anything wrong.

Can anyone help please?
Sad story provided. No useful troubleshooting information provided. Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

If you actually provided information we might be able to help you. Are you using RAID?

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
Padzster

Post by Padzster »

Sorry, here we go
Operating System using to access NAS = primarily Mac but have access to XP PC as well
NAS model = TS-219
Current firmware version= 4.0.7
Network Setup (ie Single Port or Port Trunking) = single ethernet connected to router
Drive Configuration= think it's RAID 0
Number of drives= 2x500Gb
Squeezebox Boom
Squeezebox Radio
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Padzster wrote:Sorry, here we go
Operating System using to access NAS = primarily Mac but have access to XP PC as well
NAS model = TS-219
Current firmware version= 4.0.7
Network Setup (ie Single Port or Port Trunking) = single ethernet connected to router
Drive Configuration= think it's RAID 0
Number of drives= 2x500Gb
I "think" is a dangerous place to start from. Lets go ask your NAS for the rest of the answers. Please access to your NAS via SSH, login as "admin" and run:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
rm -f /tmp/nasreport
touch /tmp/nasreport
chmod +x /tmp/nasreport
cat <<EOF >>/tmp/nasreport
#!/bin/sh
#
# NAS Report by Patrick Wilson
# see: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=185&t=82260#p366188
#
# 
echo "*********************"
echo "** QNAP NAS Report **"
echo "*********************"
echo " "
echo "NAS Model:      \$(getsysinfo model)"
echo "Firmware:       \$(getcfg system version) Build \$(getcfg system 'Build Number')"
echo "System Name:    \$(/bin/hostname)"
echo "Workgroup:      \$(getcfg system workgroup)"
echo "Base Directory: \$(dirname \$(getcfg -f /etc/config/smb.conf Public path))"
echo "NAS IP address: \$(ifconfig \$(getcfg network 'Default GW Device') | grep addr: | awk '{ print \$2 }' | cut -d: -f2)"
echo " " 
echo "Default Gateway Device: \$(getcfg network 'Default GW Device')" 
echo " "
ifconfig \$(getcfg network 'Default GW Device') | grep -v HWaddr
echo " "
echo -n "DNS Nameserver(s):" 
cat /etc/resolv.conf | grep nameserver | cut -d' ' -f2
echo " "
echo " "
echo "HDD Information:"
echo " "
if [ -x /sbin/hdparm ]; then
   for i in {a..b}; do echo -n /dev/sd\$i ; hdparm -i /dev/sd\$i | grep "Model"; done
else 
   echo "   /sbin/hdparm is not present" 
fi
echo " "
echo "Disk Space:"
echo " "
df -h | grep -v qpkg
echo " "
echo "Mount Status:" 
echo " "
mount | grep -v qpkg
echo " " 
echo "RAID Status:" 
echo " " 
cat /proc/mdstat
echo " " 
#echo "QNAP Media Scanner / Transcoder processes running: "
#echo " " 
#/bin/ps | grep medialibrary | grep -v grep
#echo " " 
#echo -n "MediaLibrary Configuration file: " 
#ls -alF /etc/config/medialibrary.conf
#echo " " 
#echo "/etc/config/medialibrary.conf:"
#cat /etc/config/medialibrary.conf
echo " "
echo "Memory Information:" 
echo " "
cat /proc/meminfo | grep Mem
echo " "
echo "NASReport completed on \$(date +'%Y-%m-%d %T') ($0)" 
EOF
sleep 2
clear
/tmp/nasreport
echo "Done." 
#done
Please cut&paste the output of this NASReport back to this message thread. (PS: I hope you are wrong about RAID0, it's a really lousy choice).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

Padzster

Post by Padzster »

I cannot connect to the NAS in any way.
Squeezebox Boom
Squeezebox Radio
Padzster

Post by Padzster »

host is down
Squeezebox Boom
Squeezebox Radio
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Padzster wrote:I cannot connect to the NAS in any way.
Well, you can't provide the output of my NASReport script, and also apparently can't provide the answers to article When you're asking a question, please include the following. I'd recommend that you submit a ticket with the QNAP Helpdesk.

No one in the QNAP NAS Community can provide any assistance without basic configuration and troubleshooting information provided. I hope that the QNAP Helpdesk is able to assist you.

You are experiencing Drive issues, yet you are incapable of even providing the Make/Model of your HDDs, or your Volume type you are using. I wish I could help you, but doing so is impossible without this information.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Padzster

Post by Padzster »

Patrick,

I always appreciate your help and have had assistance from you in the past where you've been very helpful and friendly. However, this time I'm detecting that your tone is rather stroppy.
If you could please appreciate that I have been panicking about potentially losing all of our children's pictures, I was hoping that there would be a quick answer to my problem and therefore I neglected to include all the required details in my original post. After your reminder I included as much as I could - we bought the NAS years ago and I have no idea which setup we had, or which make or model of HDD. I don't know how to find out the type of Volume setup we have, but I do believe that the 2 500Gb discs acted as a single volume - does that help?
I am 'capable' of providing the make/model number of the HDDs by opening up the NAS, which I will do once one of my original concerns is answered: is it OK to switch the device off while the light is flashing or is the NAS "doing" something while this light is flashing?

Also, I clearly stated that I am unable to connect to the NAS in anyway, none of my devices can see the NAS, and I can't connect through the IP address, so how would you propose that I should run the script you included?

All your help is appreciated, but I really didn't appreciate your tone on that last post.
Squeezebox Boom
Squeezebox Radio
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Padzster wrote:Patrick,

I always appreciate your help and have had assistance from you in the past where you've been very helpful and friendly. However, this time I'm detecting that your tone is rather stroppy.
If you could please appreciate that I have been panicking about potentially losing all of our children's pictures, I was hoping that there would be a quick answer to my problem and therefore I neglected to include all the required details in my original post. After your reminder I included as much as I could - we bought the NAS years ago and I have no idea which setup we had, or which make or model of HDD. I don't know how to find out the type of Volume setup we have, but I do believe that the 2 500Gb discs acted as a single volume - does that help?
I am 'capable' of providing the make/model number of the HDDs by opening up the NAS, which I will do once one of my original concerns is answered: is it OK to switch the device off while the light is flashing or is the NAS "doing" something while this light is flashing?

Also, I clearly stated that I am unable to connect to the NAS in anyway, none of my devices can see the NAS, and I can't connect through the IP address, so how would you propose that I should run the script you included?

All your help is appreciated, but I really didn't appreciate your tone on that last post.
I'm sorry I've disappointed you, but the reality here is that we simply can't help based on partial information. It really is that simple. Your "excuses" at the end here, are pointless. I asked for lots of information, and you have done nothing to provide it. If you can't access your NAS, you can't access it, however this does not prevent you pulling the drives long enough to provide their Make/Model. (No SSH required for this task).

You claim it "might" be RAID0, yet you aren't sure. You have admitted that you are using 2 * 500GB drives. How big was your data Volume on your NAS with both drives installed? If it was ~465GB then it was RAID1 (an excellent choice). . If the volume was ~900GB then it was either RAID0 or JBOD. This information would at least allow us to make some educated "guesses". Without knowing your RAID type (or Non-RAID type if your were foolish enough to use RAID0 or JBOD), or your old Volume size prior to the problem we can't even suggest resolutions for you.
Last edited by pwilson on Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Padzster

Post by Padzster »

I have taken the drives out and they are 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200 1Tb, Firmware CC1H. Do you need their serial numbers as well?
Squeezebox Boom
Squeezebox Radio
Padzster

Post by Padzster »

Update:

With no HDDs in I can see the NAS using QNAP Finder. The problem returns with one or both discs in.
Squeezebox Boom
Squeezebox Radio
Padzster

Post by Padzster »

Thank you for your response.
We did this so long ago we can't remember how we set it up! How bad is that?
Is there any way of finding out?
Squeezebox Boom
Squeezebox Radio
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Padzster wrote:I have taken the drives out and they are 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200 1Tb, Firmware CC1H. Do you need their serial numbers as well?
No I don't care about the Serial#s. I have been asking for my Model#, and you still haven't provided even this much. Hint: Seagate Model#'s start with "ST" ie "ST3500630AS" or "ST500DM002".

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

adprom
Easy as a breeze

Post by adprom »

So you see a weird flashing light, didn't know what you were doing and the first thing you do is touch the power button?

Didn't think to login to the web interface and actually look at what was going on?
Padzster wrote: I always appreciate your help and have had assistance from you in the past where you've been very helpful and friendly. However, this time I'm detecting that your tone is rather stroppy.
If you could please appreciate that I have been panicking about potentially losing all of our children's pictures, I was hoping that there would be a quick answer to my problem and therefore I neglected to include all the required details in my original post.
Contact QNAP support...

It sounds like it has been years since you last logged into the web interface. Drives could have died and you never would have known. Doesn't sound like backups of the crucial data were being taken either.

For future reference... File servers need to be monitored. That means they need to be logged into now and again. Otherwise you will have no idea if a drive fails. Ideally you set up email alerts to tell you when things happen - but that isn't failproof either meaning you need to login.

Crucial irreplacable data like personal data, photos etc absolutely need a separate backup.
Padzster

Post by Padzster »

Model numbers on both disks ST31000333AS. Can you tell me how knowing this will help?
Squeezebox Boom
Squeezebox Radio

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”