Red/green flashing light - disk error?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Padzster
Getting the hang of things

Re: Red/green flashing light - disk error?

Post by Padzster »

FYI in case anyone is having similar problems: I contacted QNAP Support and was told to do the following:

Please keep the original drives in your hand and follow the instructions carefully.

Please follow up the procedure to update your firmware as below:

1. Power off the NAS. Remove the ALL HDD

2. Power on the NAS without any hard disk attached

3. After a short beep and a long beep,Run QNAP Finder, it will find the NAS.
Note: Do not re-initialize when the QNAP Finder prompt a message, if you have some useful data in the disk

4. Plug all hard disks back to NAS in original order when the NAS is on.
Push in till the previous HDD led flashes constantly green.(Not Blinking)

5. .Connect the NAS by SSH port 22, login as admin password admin
(Putty Tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AlSM9UjLpY)
download here http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/lat ... /putty.exe
(you can right click you mouse to paste commands in putty)

6. Issue the commands to update firmware.
# config_util 1
# storage_boot_init 1
# storage_boot_init 2 (wait 30sec and press enter go next line)
# config_util 4
# mkdir -m 777 /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update ---> if the update directory exists, still proceed with next step
# mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/ext
# cd /share/MD0_DATA/Public
# /mnt/ext/usr/bin/wget http://download.qnap.com/Storage/TS-219 ... -4.1.1.zip
# unzip TS-219_20141101-4.1.1.zip
# ln -sf /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update /mnt/update
# /etc/init.d/update.sh TS-219_20141101-4.1.1.img
............ (when get the updating succeed)
# reboot

Please let me know the status.

The result was: I could access the NAS under its original settings, however I had warnings on the discs. Disc1 abnormal and disc2 warning. The device is now operating in degraded mode. The lights on the front of the NAS are as follows: power light flashing red every 0.5sec, both HDDs steady red. I can read the data now but have been advised to backup data and replace discs.

QNAP support did all of this without adopting a superior tone, or patronising me, they just helped, which I appreciated greatly. They didn't need to know my RAID setup, or the disc make/model number. It would be nice if the helpful members of the community had the same approach.
TS-421, firmware 4.1.1, RAID 5, WD RED discs
TS-219, firmware 4.1.1, RAID 1, Seagate discs
Squeezebox Boom
Squeezebox Radio
36"28"36" :)
pwilson
Guru

Re: Red/green flashing light - disk error?

Post by pwilson »

Padzster wrote:QNAP support did all of this without adopting a superior tone, or patronising me, they just helped, which I appreciated greatly. They didn't need to know my RAID setup, or the disc make/model number. It would be nice if the helpful members of the community had the same approach.
So keep working with QNAP Support as their schedule permits. I won't waste my time trying to help you again, so you won't have to worry about it with me. Welcome to my ignore list.

BTW, just so you understand the difference in approach, I would have provided commands for you, but I need to know whether or not you are using RAID in order to know where your Public share lives. As for your Drive Model, I merely "want" this information, because I won't help with Seagate DM or DL drives.

I refer all Seagate DL/DM "victims" to the QNAP Helpdesk for assistance.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”