Help : Two disks with SMART Warnings ? Which one to replace?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
BigJon
New here

Help : Two disks with SMART Warnings ? Which one to replace?

Post by BigJon »

Hi,
I got an alert last night, and I now have two disks with SMART warnings. What should I do, to avoid losing 9TB of data ?

I have a TS-412 running 4.1.1 Build 20141101
4 x Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB disks
RAID 5

Disk 1 & 2 are fine.

Code: Select all

Disk 1 all Good

Disk 2 all Good

Disk 3 gives :
  Desc                    Val   Wor   Thr   Raw   Stat
  Reallocated_Sector_ct   100   100   036     0   Good
  Current_Pending_Sector  100   100   000     8   Warning
  Offline_Uncorrectable   100   100   000     8   Warning

Disk 4 gives :
  Desc                    Val   Wor   Thr   Raw   Stat
  Reallocated_Sector_ct   100   100   036    32   Warning
  Current_Pending_Sector  100   100   000    56   Warning
  Offline_Uncorrectable   100   100   000    56   Warning
If I'm reading that correctly, Disk 4 is in a worst state that Disk 3 ? Disk 4 has some pending reallocation, but probably doesn't have any spare sectors left to reallocate ?
However, Disk 3 has some pending reallocations, and no reallocated sectors yet.

My two questions are :

* How can I force Disk 3 to reallocate the 8 pending sectors, and rebuild the data from the other 3 disks ? (Assuming the 8 sectors don't line up with any bad sectors on disk 4)

* If I pull Disk 4 now and replace it, does that mean the 8 pending sectors on Disk 3 will be lost and corrupted, as the RAID cant rebuild the data as it missing the sectors in Disk 3 ?

Thanks !

Jon.
pwilson
Guru

Re: Help : Two disks with SMART Warnings ? Which one to repl

Post by pwilson »

BigJon wrote:I have a TS-412 running 4.1.1 Build 20141101
4 x Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB disks
RAID 5
Replace all 4 of them with "good" drives. :roll: :roll: :roll:
WD Reds would be a good choice.

Seagate ST3000DM001 drives are not suitable for use in RAID devices. Deposit them in the nearest landfill. Check out these messages.

Perhaps QNAP will finally add these horrid drives to the incompatibility lists for "older" NAS models eventually. Presently these drives are only listed accurately as "Incompatible" on "current" NAS models. For example from the "TS-469L Incompatible HDD List"
TS-469L Incompatible HDD List[/url] - Re: [url=http://www.qnap.com/i/en/product_x_grade/related_note.php?gsn=50&II=32]Seagate ST3000DM001 wrote: Seagate ST3000DM001 Desktop Drives SATA 6Gb/s (SATA III) 3000 GB Incompatible TS-469L
  1. (3TB & 4TB HDDs)
    Not applicable to TS-509 Pro. TS-639 Pro does not support >16TB disk volume.
  2. This hard drive series initially passed our lab compatibility test and was included in the recommended HDD list. However, during the last few months, we have received an overwhelming number of support requests regarding this hard drive series. The high failure rate of this hard drives series has raised concerns over risks of data loss. Therefore, we have no choice but to remove this series from the recommended HDD list. For users who have already installed this series of HDD on their Turbo NAS, QNAP will continue to provide technical supports as requested.
  3. The batch number, 1CH166, has passed the hard drive compatibility test.
If replacing all 4 of these horrid drives is not possible due to budget, then please contact "technical supports" as recommended by the TS-469L Incompatible HDD List.

Going forward do not purchase Seagate DL or DM series drives for use in QNAP devices. I would recommend making very regular Backups during your remaining tenure with these horrid drives. Please ask "technical supports" to explain why these drives aren't listed as "incompatible" for all QNAP NAS models.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
BigJon
New here

Post by BigJon »

Thanks. I understand, however it doesn't help me in the short term ?

Is there a way to force a disk to remap "pending" sectors ?
Am I right to change Disk 4 first ?

Thanks.

Jon.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

BigJon wrote:Thanks. I understand, however it doesn't help me in the short term ?

Is there a way to force a disk to remap "pending" sectors ?
Am I right to change Disk 4 first ?

Thanks.

Jon.
We can't help you with these drives. They are garbage. Please contact the Helpdesk for further assistance. There is absolutely nothing we can do for you with these drives. Your data is as safe as your last backup. (This situation is the exact reason why you make regular backups. If you don't have a Backup then your data may already be "gone").

Ask the Helpdesk for assistance.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

nickj
Starting out

Post by nickj »

The reallocated sector count is worse on Disk 4 - replace that one first, and then, as soon as you can, replace the other one :S
- Nick

TS-219P; TS-259 Pro; TS-269 Pro; TS-459U; TS-453U; TS-253B
TR-004U; TS-470 Pro 16; NMP-1000
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

nickj wrote:The reallocated sector count is worse on Disk 4 - replace that one first, and then, as soon as you can, replace the other one :S
In my opinion if is extremely callous to recommend anything but contacting the Helpdesk. He already has 2 failing drives in RAID5, if both completely fail during the RAID Rebuild his data is gone forever.

If you must recommend that he proceeds anyway, I would have hoped that you would have told him to do a complete Backup first. Why did you make this dangerous recommendation without recommending a Backup first?

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”