Make legacy EXT4 vols and avoid default share creations

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
boezio
Starting out

Make legacy EXT4 vols and avoid default share creations

Post by boezio »

Hi, while attempting to rescue my lost data ( http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=101720 ), I'm thinking about real safety of data stored on my QNAP, because with new LVM format, data rescue after crash appears very difficult (if not impossible), while in the previous EXT4 format it was simple and easy attaching the disk to a PC with Sysinternals EXT4 driver or similar.

So I kindly ask to users more skilled than me :
1) it's yet possible to create EXT4 (single or RAID1) volumes under FW 4.1 too in my TS-869Pro, to make easy disk reading either out of Qnap? If yes, what's the correct procedure to make them?
2)when adding a new disk and creating single volume, QNAP creates default shares into this new disk, moving links and modifying my smb.conf file: it's possible to force QNAP to format only the disk and leave it blank, without playing with my smb.conf and messing up it...?

Thanks in advance for every useful reply and thanks for all the contributors of this forum (they teached me many things about the linux world, totally different from my Windows knowledge).

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”