Disk capacity change : Add Drive 1 To The Volume Failed

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Kroekt
New here

Disk capacity change : Add Drive 1 To The Volume Failed

Post by Kroekt »

Hi everyone,

First, i've go a QNAP TS219 P+, originally in RAID 1 with two disks of 2 To.
I've already changed a disk from a Toshiba 2To to a 3To some months ago, with no problem.

To expand the capacity of the NAS, i decide to change the other Toshiba 2To to a WD Green 4To.

I've just tried to change a disk form my TS 219 P+ three days ago. Change from the Toshiba 2To to the WD Green 4To.

I have unplugged the Disk 1 (Toshiba 2To), wait for the two consecutive "Bip", then plugged the WD Green 4To.
It was last week, at 7 PM.

I've logged to the QNAP, and got the message at 4 Am, 9 hours later : Mirror Disk 2 1 : Add drive 1 to the volume failed.

So, back to first state, replug the Toshiba 2To with the Data on it,rebuild of the Raid 1 Ok.

I've decided to format low level on a Windows 7 the WD Green 4To, no problem, disk seems to be fine.

Same as before :
I have unplugged the Disk 1 (Toshiba 2To), wait for the two consecutive "Bip", then plugged the WD Green 4To.
Then 7 hours later :
Mirror Disk 2 1 : Add drive 1 to the volume failed.

:(

Some help to be sure of the diagnosis ?

- WD Green problem ?
- Bad format ?
- Other idea ?

Many thanks for your help,

PS : Sorry for my bad english..
QNAP TS 219 P+
2xDisks : Toshiba 2To
pwilson
Guru

Re: Disk capacity change : Add Drive 1 To The Volume Failed

Post by pwilson »

Kroekt wrote:Hi everyone,

First, i've go a QNAP TS219 P+, originally in RAID 1 with two disks of 2 To.
I've already changed a disk from a Toshiba 2To to a 3To some months ago, with no problem.

To expand the capacity of the NAS, i decide to change the other Toshiba 2To to a WD Green 4To.

I've just tried to change a disk form my TS 219 P+ three days ago. Change from the Toshiba 2To to the WD Green 4To.

It was last week, at 7 PM.

I've logged to the QNAP, and got the message at 4 Am, 9 hours later : Mirror Disk 2 1 : Add drive 1 to the volume failed.

So, back to first state, replug the Toshiba 2To with the Data on it,rebuild of the Raid 1 Ok.

I've decided to format low level on a Windows 7 the WD Green 4To, no problem, disk seems to be fine.

Same as before :
Then 7 hours later :
Mirror Disk 2 1 : Add drive 1 to the volume failed.

:(

Some help to be sure of the diagnosis ?

- WD Green problem ?
- Bad format ?
- Other idea ?

Many thanks for your help,

PS : Sorry for my bad english..
Did you follow the Extension des capacités RAID en ligne instructions in the QNAP Turbo NAS Manuel de l’utilisateur du logiciel.

Remarque: Je vous préférez de converser en français, peut-être vous seriez mieux si votre participé au QNAPClub.fr place.

Please excuse my bad French. (Google translate).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
Kroekt
New here

Post by Kroekt »

Thanks for your response, and for your reactivity !
And thanks for the french typping, but it's Ok for me in english, just a lack of vocabulary, but it's a good learn for me !
I can try in english no problem.

Yes i've tried to follow the guide, and the first change of 1 disk some months ago was Ok (from a Toshiba 2To, to a 3To), that's why i don't understand what's wrong with this WD Green 4To... :?

The part of the guide where the NAS told me that the RAID 1 rebuild failed
I took the french version :

Procédure de fonctionnement
OK : Dans « Storage Manager » > « Gestion RAID », sélectionnez le volume de disque à étendre et cliquez sur « Action » > « Étendre la capacité ».
OK : Cliquez sur « Change » (Modifier) pour le disque dur premier à remplacer. Suivez les instructions pour continuer.
OK : 1. Lorsque la description indique « Please remove this drive » (Veuillez supprimer ce lecteur), retirez le disque dur du NAS. Attendez que le NAS bipe deux fois après avoir enlevé le disque dur.
OK : 2. Lorsque la description indique « Please insert the new drive » (Veuillez insérer le nouveau disque), branchez le nouveau disque dur dans la fente de lecteur.
OK : 3. Après avoir branché le disque dur, attendez que le NAS bipe. Le système commence la reconstruction.

These are the message I get in the admin console of the NAS :

19:00:18 Drive 1 unplugged
19:00:27 Mirror Disk Volume : Drive 2 1 -> Drive 1 removed
19:00:28 Mirror Disk Volume : Drive 2 1 -> Raid device in degraded mode
19:02:23 Drive 1 plugged in
4:39:27 Mirror Disk Volume : Drive 2 1 -> Add Drive 1 to the volume failed

NOK : 4. Une fois la reconstruction terminée, répétez les étapes ci-dessus pour remplacer les autres disques durs.
NOK : 5. Une fois les disques durs remplacés et la reconstruction terminée, vous pouvez cliquer sur Expand Capacity (Accroître la capacité) pour exécuter l'extension de RAID.
NOK : 6. Cliquez sur « OK » pour continuer.
NOK : 7. Le NAS émet un bip et commence à augmenter la capacité.

During the seven hours i don't know if the NAS was formatting the disk, or trying to rebuild the RAID.
It would be helpful to know what he was doing (formatting or rebuild) to be sure that there is a problem with my Disk.

In the SMART screen from the admin console of the NAS everything seems to be OK with the two disks...

Problem is that it took 7 hours for the NAS to tell me that te Add of the Drive 1 failed, so i can just do one test per day, and wait 7 hours :S

Hope you can help me to be sure of the problem diagnosis...

Thanks by advance,
QNAP TS 219 P+
dsmithdewarcom
Easy as a breeze

Post by dsmithdewarcom »

First of all, the "WD Green 4To" drive is not qualified by QNAP, so you won't be getting support from them for this or future problems you may encounter. RAID generally works best with matched drives of the same make-model-capacity. If you can get this to work, as you seem to have on the first go, more power to you. Otherwise you may need to rethink your approach.
Kroekt
New here

Post by Kroekt »

I understand, but is there a way to monitor what the NAS is doing during the 7 hours ?

Something like "formatting 35%" or "rebuild RAID 70%" ?

Because i would like to know if it's a problem of recognition of the disk, or a RAID problem, or anything else,

It would help me to know if y buy a new NAS, or DISK...

Thanks for your help,
QNAP TS 219 P+
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Kroekt wrote:I understand, but is there a way to monitor what the NAS is doing during the 7 hours ?

Something like "formatting 35%" or "rebuild RAID 70%" ?

Because i would like to know if it's a problem of recognition of the disk, or a RAID problem, or anything else,

It would help me to know if y buy a new NAS, or DISK...

Thanks for your help,
You can check progress from the command line. Simply access your NAS via SSH, (login as "admin") and run:

Code: Select all

cat /proc/mdstat
You can run this command repetitively as often as required/desired.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
Kroekt
New here

Post by Kroekt »

Ok, thanks for your help, i've tried that command line, and i'm affraid that the NAS isn't trying to format or rebuilding the RAID during the 7 hours..
Nothing show a percentage of advancement, nothing change,

So i put back my old disk, no problem with the raid rebuild.

I put the 4To directly for my computer, Ok, for the computer, i'll wait to buy a new disk.

Thanks for your help,
QNAP TS 219 P+

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”