470 Pro 4.1.2 Freezing Daily. Desperate!

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
pwilson
Guru

Re: 470 Pro 4.1.2 Freezing Daily. Desperate!

Post by pwilson »

Whitefang1977 wrote:

Code: Select all

Disk Space:

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs                911.5M      4.0k    911.5M   0% /dev
tmpfs                    64.0M    212.0k     63.8M   0% /tmp
tmpfs                   916.1M     28.0k    916.1M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/md9                509.5M    140.4M    369.1M  28% /mnt/HDA_ROOT
/dev/md0                 16.2T      2.5T     13.7T  15% /share/MD0_DATA
/dev/md13               371.0M    272.8M     98.2M  74% /mnt/ext
tmpfs                    32.0M      1.7M     30.3M   5% /.eaccelerator.tmp
Where is the "root" directory ("/")?

On my NAS I get:
My TS-470 Pro w/ QTS 4.1.2 Build 20150126 wrote:

Code: Select all

df -h | grep -v qpkg
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
none                    200.0M    144.4M     55.6M  72% /
devtmpfs                  3.8G     12.0k      3.8G   0% /dev
tmpfs                    64.0M      6.6M     57.4M  10% /tmp
tmpfs                     3.8G     28.0k      3.8G   0% /dev/shm
/dev/md9                509.5M    133.3M    376.2M  26% /mnt/HDA_ROOT
/dev/mapper/cachedev1     8.1T      5.4T      2.7T  67% /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA
/dev/md13               371.0M    289.2M     81.8M  78% /mnt/ext
tmpfs                     8.0M         0      8.0M   0% /var/syslog_maildir
tmpfs                    25.0M      4.0k     25.0M   0% /run
You might want to ask the Helpdesk to have a look at your NAS. Please submit a ticket with the QNAP Helpdesk.

You don't seem to be running out of RAM. And you have not provided any information from your System logs or "dmesg" output.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
bugyou3
Know my way around

Post by bugyou3 »

Qnap Community Forums - No spam and no idiots in charge. Move now!
havinabubble
New here

Post by havinabubble »

just a thought, did you recently upgrade to 4.1.2? or make a system change to experience this freeze?

sounds very similar to when I upgraded to 4.1.1 <see my other post: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=100081>

...had to downgrade back to 3.8.3 Build 20130426 and now I don't suffer with daily freeze & unavailabilty
TS-412 | v4.1.2 | RAID 5 | 4 x 1TB RED WDC WD10EFRX
bugyou3
Know my way around

Post by bugyou3 »

havinabubble wrote:had to downgrade back to 3.8.3 Build 20130426 and now I don't suffer with daily freeze & unavailabilty
Sure thing! Downgrading to shell-shock vulnerable FW is a great advice. Please, hit yourself with a cluebat repeatedly until unable to service the keyboard. Will prevent you from posting further idiotic suggestions here.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :!: :!: :!: :idea: :idea: :idea:
Qnap Community Forums - No spam and no idiots in charge. Move now!
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Whitefang1977 wrote:Patrick, surfing around I also find a way to get the log files.
I'm not sure if these are the files needed, but hope they help. the firsts ones are kmsg, kmsg.1 and kmsg.2 I put them all together in a .doc file. The kmsg starts on the first page. kmsg.1 starts on page 22 and kmsg.2 starts on page 234

here is the link of the file

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22161908/kmsg.doc

Hope you can help.
Log files are text that can be posted directly to this Forum. I have no Microsoft Office installed on my Linux machine. :shock:

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

havinabubble
New here

Post by havinabubble »

bugyou3 wrote:
havinabubble wrote:had to downgrade back to 3.8.3 Build 20130426 and now I don't suffer with daily freeze & unavailabilty
Sure thing! Downgrading to shell-shock vulnerable FW is a great advice. Please, hit yourself with a cluebat repeatedly until unable to service the keyboard. Will prevent you from posting further idiotic suggestions here.

you've got a firewall? use it!
I'll be sure to pass your comments on as it was QNAP support who advised I do this, and it worked! It stopped the freezing issue that occurred as a result of performing the firmware upgrade (which they couldn't explain)

while I agree with you, upgrading is a given.
I couldn't afford to have the drive offline everyday until somebody physically rebooted it. Until my other physical drive related issues are resolved, I'll live with internal access only and this solution to my problem

...and if you re-read what I wrote I didn't suggest THEY downgrade to 3.8.3, just that I had performed that as a resolve to MY issue.

I guess we aren't all born with root level knowledge and a ton of bathroom graphics at our disposal :roll:
TS-412 | v4.1.2 | RAID 5 | 4 x 1TB RED WDC WD10EFRX
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

havinabubble wrote:
bugyou3 wrote:

you've got a firewall? use it!
I'll be sure to pass your comments on as it was QNAP support who advised I do this, and it worked! It stopped the freezing issue that occurred as a result of performing the firmware upgrade (which they couldn't explain)

while I agree with you, upgrading is a given.
I couldn't afford to have the drive offline everyday until somebody physically rebooted it. Until my other physical drive related issues are resolved, I'll live with internal access only and this solution to my problem

...and if you re-read what I wrote I didn't suggest THEY downgrade to 3.8.3, just that I had performed that as a resolve to MY issue.

I guess we aren't all born with root level knowledge and a ton of bathroom graphics at our disposal :roll:
Your support technician needs to be "Fired". That is not a "solution" at all.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Whitefang1977 wrote:So sorry Patrick. Its a more that 16K line log. Dint want to put it directly

Here is another link.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22161908/kmsg.txt

By the way I upgraded to 4.1.2 weeks ago. But the Surveillance Station was installed a week ago to install a couple of new Dlink Web Cameras (2 x Dlink 942L's)
Fair enough on the Log file. Thank-you.

If I was troubleshooting this on my NAS, I would have disabled Surveillance Station for 24 hours, and then used the NAS normally. If the "freezing" issue didn't occur within those 24 hours, then you'd have some information to work with. (I wish you would have volunteered this information about recently installed features in your initial message).

Downgrading to Shellshock vulnerable Firmware is an unacceptable "solution". I repeat: "Your support technician needs to be "Fired.". Temporarily downgrading as a "troubleshooting" test is acceptable, but permanently downgrading you to Shellshock vulnerable Firmware is irresponsible.

I generally have a lot of respect for the Helpdesk, but this experience reflects badly on the entire QNAP organization.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Whitefang1977 wrote:I know this inst your job and that its time consuming. And I REALLY appreciate you taking the time. Thats why I'm not gonna ask you to teach me or tell me step by step how to get the info you need. I already looked for "QNAP for Dummies" without success :( .
I'm always happy to answer questions, but I'm not the worlds best teacher. Have you reviewed:

Don's Unofficial QNAP How-To Guide

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Whitefang1977 wrote:Ok, I disable the surveillance station and it last a day, but it freezes again. It looks that surveillance station is not the root of the problem but it helps make it worst.

Patrick did you had a chance to take a look at the logs and dmesg?
Yes I did. Nothing of note to comment on. It shows filesystem not clean issues, but this is "normal" after an "unscheduled reboot".

Have you checked your Hardware info screen, to ensure your System, CPU, and Drives are operating within normal temperature ranges when the system is running? (The NAS will reboot on a "thermal event").

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”