RAID1 Questions

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
gravy
New here

RAID1 Questions

Post by gravy »

Hi,

Please can someone help me with some simple questions on QNAP devices and RAID1.

I am thinking of buying a TS-253 for my home. I was going to configures two drives as RAID1. With the QNAP NAS...

1. If I had to replace a failed drive, does the replacement have to be the same type and model, or simply at least the same storage capacity as the healthy drive?
2. What's the quickest way of backing up a RAID1 systems with say 2TB of data?

Thanks for your help.

Graham
gravy
New here

Re: RAID1 Questions

Post by gravy »

Excellent, thanks for the rely.

Is there any kind of guide to managing raid on the qnap devices I could read?

Are you also saying the with raid1, I could break the mirror, replace with a disk say, twice as big, let it resync and do the same with the other disk, in order to increase storage?
pwilson
Guru

Re: RAID1 Questions

Post by pwilson »

gravy wrote:Hi,

Please can someone help me with some simple questions on QNAP devices and RAID1.

I am thinking of buying a TS-253 for my home. I was going to configures two drives as RAID1. With the QNAP NAS...

1. If I had to replace a failed drive, does the replacement have to be the same type and model, or simply at least the same storage capacity as the healthy drive?
Any suitable drive of the same size (or larger) can be used. Check out QNAP Tutorial: Hot-swapping the hard drives when the RAID crashes. I run with WD Reds here.
gravy wrote:2. What's the quickest way of backing up a RAID1 systems with say 2TB of data?

Check out the External Backup section of the fine manual,

You can review the manual prior to purchase. The manual is fully hyperlinked, and even includes a Search function, so you should easily be able to find answers to most of your questions just by searching the manual.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”