qnap runs e2fsck_64 and md0_resync at same time?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
knormoyle
Starting out

qnap runs e2fsck_64 and md0_resync at same time?

Post by knormoyle »

ts-469u with latest firmware @ qnap

system rebooted, got the familiar "filesystem is not clean message'
used the gui to do check filesystem.

Interestingly, it uses e2fsck_64 (looked with 'top' at command line) rather thatn e2fsck

when I stopped services and umount'ed /dev/md0 and ran e2fsck at the command line, it caused a reboot while checking group stuff.
Got me wondering why I see a lot of mention of e2fsck yet qnap gui causes e2fsck_64

I redid at the gui and the check succeeded.

It had a pending resync that it then said it was doing.

But I know from looking at top, that the md0_resync was running, even while the filesystem /dev/md0 was umounted so I couldn't see any files
That seemed odd to me.

I mean, e2fsck warns against checking mounted file systems and how that might cause corruption.
Yet if the md0_resync finds any issues, it will be writing to the md0 filesystem, right?

how can it be safe/correct to have e2fsck and md0_resync running at same time?

This is not something I did at command line. If the resync is deemed "necessary" and you check filesystem at same time, I think both run at same time (unless the md0_resync somehow recognizes the check is running and goes to sleep. but I saw it consuming reasonable cpu time.

I'm looking at all this trying to understand why my machine reboots every so often, and what might be triggering it.

-kevin
schumaku
Guru

Re: qnap runs e2fsck_64 and md0_resync at same time?

Post by schumaku »

knormoyle wrote:Interestingly, it uses e2fsck_64 (looked with 'top' at command line) rather thatn e2fsck
Take it as a fact QNAP does use the _64 to check 64 bit ext4 file systems.
knormoyle wrote:how can it be safe/correct to have e2fsck and md0_resync running at same time?
Perfectly safe.
knormoyle wrote:Yet if the md0_resync finds any issues, it will be writing to the md0 filesystem, right?
Nope. Block storage - one (resp two with logical volumes) below the file system.
knormoyle
Starting out

Post by knormoyle »

Ok thanks schumaku

It's interesting that at the command line, e2fsck was accepted (on my system) but caused a reboot when it died on the group check..
e2fsck_64 works fine, as it does when the gui starts it. I would have thought there'd be some check in e2fsck to say "wrong one"
that's what was unexpected (and I was seeing a lot of web pages that just mentioned e2fsck, not the possible need for using e2fsck_64)

On the block storage issue and md0_resync/e2fsck_64, thanks for the clarification
Yeah I was wondering if there was some layering in the file system that made it okay.

-kevin
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Please don't use tools and utilities without being aware of the issues, side-effects, ... The e2fsck utility is definitively not to deal with a 64-bit ext4 here on the QNAP NAS.
knormoyle
Starting out

Post by knormoyle »

I own the box.
I get to do whatever I want!
yahoo!

(weird: why are you lecturing me about what I should do?)
-kevin
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Yep. Feel free not to listen, or to destroy your NAS.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

schumaku wrote:Please don't use tools and utilities without being aware of the issues, side-effects...
Polite, helpful and sane advice.
knormoyle wrote:why are you lecturing me about what I should do?
Stupid response.

It's noted that you don't want any advice so welcome to my foe list and goodbye.

Good luck with YOUR box!
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Well, it was meant as an advice about some QNAP specifics.

@P3R: The OP has some interesting posts in the forum btw.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

schumaku wrote:@P3R: The OP has some interesting posts in the forum btw.
Yes, I've noticed that as well. It's a pity his attitude stinks so bad. :roll:
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”