Wrong RAID set up

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
poit57
New here

Wrong RAID set up

Post by poit57 »

I just set up a TS-212P with two 2TB drives. When I went through the initial setup, I wanted RAID 0, but I got confused about how the RAID level numbers correspond to the behavior of the storage. As I was making my selection, I noticed that each option showed the amount of storage that it would give me. One option showed something like 1832 GB while the other option was 3664 GB. I'm not sure what went wrong, but the RAID didn't set up the way that I intended. A few hours after I started moving my video files to my new NAS server, I discovered that there was only 1.78 TB of storage available. When I check the RAID configuration, it shows that it is mirroring volumes 1 and 2, but I need the full storage capacity of both these hard drives for a large collection of video files.

First question, will I be able to switch to RAID 0 without destroying the data that I have already moved to the NAS?
If that is not possible, after I have moved these files back off of the NAS, what steps to I need to take to start over and reconfigure the hard drives into RAID 0? I'm hoping to do this in the most simple way possible, but I'm afraid I'll lose some files if I try without checking with someone else first.
pwilson
Guru

Re: Wrong RAID set up

Post by pwilson »

poit57 wrote:I just set up a TS-212P with two 2TB drives. When I went through the initial setup, I wanted RAID 0, but I got confused about how the RAID level numbers correspond to the behavior of the storage. As I was making my selection, I noticed that each option showed the amount of storage that it would give me. One option showed something like 1832 GB while the other option was 3664 GB. I'm not sure what went wrong, but the RAID didn't set up the way that I intended. A few hours after I started moving my video files to my new NAS server, I discovered that there was only 1.78 TB of storage available. When I check the RAID configuration, it shows that it is mirroring volumes 1 and 2, but I need the full storage capacity of both these hard drives for a large collection of video files.

First question, will I be able to switch to RAID 0 without destroying the data that I have already moved to the NAS?
If that is not possible, after I have moved these files back off of the NAS, what steps to I need to take to start over and reconfigure the hard drives into RAID 0? I'm hoping to do this in the most simple way possible, but I'm afraid I'll lose some files if I try without checking with someone else first.
You accidentally made the right choice, (RAID1). but now want to switch to risky RAID0. Wow. :shock:

Sorry to tell you this but there is no migration path to risky RAID0. Wipe the drives, and start again. Backup frequently. If you lose either drive in RAID0 you lose all data on both drives. (Please remember this reality before making this poor choice).

IMHO you would be better to stay with RAID1. When you run out of space and want to upgrade your drives in RAID1, you can simply follow the instructions for Expanding Capacity (Online RAID Capacity Expansion) in the fine manual. (Simply "hot-swap" the drives to larger ones - 2 minutes out of your life per drive)

Every time you want to upgrade your drives in RAID0, simply start again on brand new drives, and then restore your data from your regular backups. RAID0 is a "fools choice", but now you know to switch to it. Welcome to the Forum. I hope you change your mind and stay with RAID1, but it is your NAS, your data, and your time. Backup frequently, whether you chose to ignore this advice or not.

I hope you are using "quality" drives, especially if you do decide to switch to RAID0. :roll:

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
poit57
New here

Post by poit57 »

Thanks for the information, though I'd prefer that it came with a little less condescension. For the amount of space needed for the video files (archived TV recordings), the importance of the data doesn't justify giving up 2TB of that storage space for a "just in case" safety measure. For my purposes and my budget, the RAID0 option will give me the best value.

The reason I was hoping for an easier solution is that in order to reconfigure my RAID, I now have to transfer nearly 1TB of data off the NAS server that just took hours to transfer to the NAS. To have enough room for all this data, I have to temporarily split the files among three separate PC's in my home plus an external drive until the NAS is configured "correctly."
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

poit57 wrote:For the amount of space needed for the video files (archived TV recordings), the importance of the data doesn't justify giving up 2TB of that storage space for a "just in case" safety measure.

There is far more in RAID1 that a "safety measure". RAID not only protects your data, but it is easy to manage and upgrade. RAID0 will give you maximum space for as long as both drives are healthy. If your feel you need 4TB of storage, simply setup 2 * 4TB drives for 3.6TB of space in RAID1. When a drive fails, simply hot-swap it. If you stay with RAID0 you will have to rebuild your NAS from scratch for all future drive failures and drive upgrades.
poit57 wrote:For my purposes and my budget, the RAID0 option will give me the best value.
You know your budget. No one can question this.
poit57 wrote:The reason I was hoping for an easier solution is that in order to reconfigure my RAID, I now have to transfer nearly 1TB of data off the NAS server that just took hours to transfer to the NAS. To have enough room for all this data, I have to temporarily split the files among three separate PC's in my home plus an external drive until the NAS is configured "correctly."
Sorry, but there is no other way. You can not migrate to RAID0. You have to wipe and start again.

Your conclusion is correct. You have to do this for all future drive upgrades in RAID0 too. (One of the many "joys" of using RAID0) You'll be an expert in no time. I recommend purchasing an eSATA/USB3.0 Drive Dock for this task, and also for all your future Backup requirements. This will be much faster than copying across your network. (If you backup across your network you will loose all the file ownership/permissions on the files in question, and will saturate your network bandwidth during the backup). If you use a Dock you can make Linux Ext4 drives for your Backups, so you retain file ownership/permission information on your files during Backup/Restore).

Docks are also a great way to copy data to your NAS. You can attach Linux, Windows, and OS X drives to your Dock to copy data to your NAS. These devices are cheap (I paid less than $50USD for mine), and saves you the expense of purchasing drive enclosures for all your Backup media, as you can simply use "loose" drives. ExFAT is not supported, but Ext3, Ext4, NTFS, FAT32 & HFS drives are all supported for external drives/docks. (You can schedule your Backups to occur at night while you are sleeping).

I still recommend RAID1 over RAID0. Yes, it means less space, but RAID1 Volumes can be easily upgraded later (when you can afford larger drive) upon running out of space. Your NAS, your choice. Set it up any way you want, it is your hardware. Good luck with your new NAS, and welcome to the Forum.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
T-Phunk
Starting out

Post by T-Phunk »

I have a similar issue. Being a NAS noob, I selected RAID5 during initial setup when what I really want is RAID1 in order to mirror my data. I have 4 bays with 8TB each so the goal is to have ~16TB total storage with comparable back-up capacity.

How do I migrate from RAID5 to RAID1? I attempted to follow the directions in this tutorial - https://www.qnap.com/i/en/tutorial/con_ ... one&cid=40 - but the Manage drop down would not allow me to select Migrate. I must be doing something wrong.

My model is TS-451+. Thanks for any help you can lend!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

you can't have a RAID1 spanning more than two drives on QNAP

so RAID5 is the right way to go (n-1 for storage) or if you want two drives redundancy you would go RAID6 (n-2 for storage)

Why would think you want RAID1 anyways ?
T-Phunk
Starting out

Post by T-Phunk »

Like I said, I'm noob to all this. I thought in RAID1 I could unite 2 drives into a single volume and then have a redundant volume with the other 2 unified drives. No?
T-Phunk
Starting out

Post by T-Phunk »

^and Thank You for your reply.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

no
RAID1 mirrors two drives
RAID0 stripes data on two drives