Best way to replace 2 disks in a Raid-6 configuration

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Zeros
New here

Best way to replace 2 disks in a Raid-6 configuration

Post by Zeros »

Hello,

We have a QNAP TS-559 Pro+ (firmware 4.1.3) in a Raid6 configuration with five 3TB disks. We need to change two disks, one of them has 6 bad Blocks and the other one I think has the same problem (i'm running the bad blocks scan righ now but Smart says that there are 8 offline uncorrectable errors)

So, as far as I know, when you want to replace a disk you simply HotSwap the drive and the RAID starts the rebuild (we have done this a couple of times before without problems). My question is, to replace two disks in a Raid6 configuration should we replace the two disks at the same time?, or it's better to replace one first, then rebuild, and later replace the second one?

Thank you in advance for your answers
pwilson
Guru

Re: Best way to replace 2 disks in a Raid-6 configuration

Post by pwilson »

Zeros wrote:Hello,

We have a QNAP TS-559 Pro+ (firmware 4.1.3) in a Raid6 configuration with five 3TB disks. We need to change two disks, one of them has 6 bad Blocks and the other one I think has the same problem (i'm running the bad blocks scan righ now but Smart says that there are 8 offline uncorrectable errors)

So, as far as I know, when you want to replace a disk you simply HotSwap the drive and the RAID starts the rebuild (we have done this a couple of times before without problems). My question is, to replace two disks in a Raid6 configuration should we replace the two disks at the same time?, or it's better to replace one first, then rebuild, and later replace the second one?

Thank you in advance for your answers
Safest method would be to hot-swap one of them. Wait for the array to get back to "Ready" status, and then hot-swap the second one.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
Zeros
New here

Post by Zeros »

Thanks for your help Patrick, I'll do as you suggest.
Zeros
New here

Post by Zeros »

We've managed to change the two disks, it took 2 working days

- First we HotSwapped drive number 5, with a brand new Hitachi Ultrastar 7K4000, and QNAP started to rebuid the RAID
- Next day, when the RAID was rebuilt we proceeded to change drive number 2. With this one we had a little problem, QNAP refused to detect the drive (no green light and no disk in the tray number 2 in web manager). Then we tried with another brand new disk with same result, "no disk". We decided to reboot the NAS but din't work either. Finally we Shut Down the NAS and Power ON again, then the QNAP recognised the drive (green light) and started to rebuild the RAID.

Just wanted to share, maybe someone else has similar problem HotSwapping a drive.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”