building RAID5 or RAID6 display incorrect size

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
charlyd
Getting the hang of things

building RAID5 or RAID6 display incorrect size

Post by charlyd »

hi i have a qnap859 and want to build a raid6 instead of a raid5, because a qnap support engineer pointed me to the many disk fails of the seagate ST4000DM000. he told me to be quit safe with a raid6 so i started of configuring. But after it finished i got 11.92GB instead of 11.92TB or with one disk less 7.9GB insted of 7.9 TB. i did a support call but even the support guy ( he told me he was a new worker at qnap) couldn t fix it until now....

i saw about the Linux commanline tools could that bring anu help? like e2fsck_64 instead of e2fsck. is the >2TB border the problem? in a single disk config it show 3695.18GB so ther is is all ok..

it tried latest fw QTS4.1.4 and tried QTS4.1.3 but no difference..

any help or tips wanted?
- Qnap Storage, looking for repairs from all sorts of hardware/backplane problems. [ for reasonable prices ]
( but also Tektronix, Agilent, Keysight and many more.. Scopes, Logic analysers, dmm & more..)
->> Get in touch with me on c.dickens@xs4all.nl ( no diagnose by email )
Professional hardware engineer
P3R
Guru

Re: building RAID5 or RAID6 display incorrect size

Post by P3R »

In my opinion the sane recommendation would be to stop using disks specifically listed as incompatible.

How many of those awful disks have you got in there?

Exactly where are you seeing the numbers you're quoting?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

charlyd wrote:hi i have a qnap859 and want to build a raid6 instead of a raid5, because a qnap support engineer pointed me to the many disk fails of the seagate ST4000DM000. he told me to be quit safe with a raid6 so i started of configuring. But after it finished i got 11.92GB instead of 11.92TB or with one disk less 7.9GB insted of 7.9 TB. i did a support call but even the support guy ( he told me he was a new worker at qnap) couldn t fix it until now....

i saw about the Linux commanline tools could that bring anu help? like e2fsck_64 instead of e2fsck. is the >2TB border the problem? in a single disk config it show 3695.18GB so ther is is all ok..

it tried latest fw QTS4.1.4 and tried QTS4.1.3 but no difference..

any help or tips wanted?
Why would you do this to your allegedly important data?
TS-859 Pro [color=#FF0000]Incompatible[/color] HDD List[/url] - Re: [url=https://www.qnap.com/i/useng/product_x_grade/related_note.php?gsn=3045&II=64]Seagate ST4000DM000 Desktop Drives wrote: Seagate ST4000DM000 Desktop Drives SATA 6Gb/s (SATA III) 4000 GB Incompatible TS-859 Pro
  1. (3TB & 4TB HDDs)
    Not applicable to TS-509 Pro. TS-639 Pro does not support >16TB disk volume.
  2. This hard drive series initially passed our lab compatibility test and was included in the recommended HDD list. However, during the last few months, we have received an overwhelming number of support requests regarding this hard drive series. The high failure rate of this hard drives series has raised concerns over risks of data loss. Therefore, we have no choice but to remove this series from the recommended HDD list. For users who have already installed this series of HDD on their Turbo NAS, QNAP will continue to provide technical supports as requested.
  3. The batch number, 1F2168, has passed the hard drive compatibility test.
Replace all those crappy Seagate "Desktop" drives, with some actual "Recommended NAS/RAID Drives" instead.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
charlyd
Getting the hang of things

Post by charlyd »

Hi i know these article but i just bought them any Qnap supports them ...i have batch 1F2168 the batch which is good qnap says... the support ticket is now to Taiwan. because the smart is GOOD the initial disk displays 3695.18GB ->>> OK the smart is ok. but only the raid5 or raid 6 config will not do...that looks like firmware from the Qnap.
- Qnap Storage, looking for repairs from all sorts of hardware/backplane problems. [ for reasonable prices ]
( but also Tektronix, Agilent, Keysight and many more.. Scopes, Logic analysers, dmm & more..)
->> Get in touch with me on c.dickens@xs4all.nl ( no diagnose by email )
Professional hardware engineer
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

charlyd wrote:Hi i know these article but i just bought them any Qnap supports them ...i have batch 1F2168 the batch which is good qnap says... the support ticket is now to Taiwan. because the smart is GOOD the initial disk displays 3695.18GB ->>> OK the smart is ok. but only the raid5 or raid 6 config will not do...that looks like firmware from the Qnap.
I wouldn't touch them myself. Have you reviewed these messages yet?
Replace them, and your issues will disappear.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”