Cannot add harddisk to RAID 5

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
thenetstriker
Starting out

Cannot add harddisk to RAID 5

Post by thenetstriker »

I'am trying to expand my RAID 5 array on my TS-EC1279U-RP by adding a 6th harddisk. At the moment the RAID array has four 3TB harddisks and one spare drive. But the menu option to expand the array and to add an harddisk are greyed out in the webinterface. What do I have to do to enable these options?
pwilson
Guru

Re: Cannot add harddisk to RAID 5

Post by pwilson »

thenetstriker wrote:I'am trying to expand my RAID 5 array on my TS-EC1279U-RP by adding a 6th harddisk. At the moment the RAID array has four 3TB harddisks and one spare drive. But the menu option to expand the array and to add an harddisk are greyed out in the webinterface. What do I have to do to enable these options?
You have to remove the "Spare" from the array before you can add another member. Once the 6th drive has been added to the array, you can re-add the spare.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
thenetstriker
Starting out

Post by thenetstriker »

After removing the spare drive the options are now active and I'am able to extend my raid. Thanks for the help!
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

thenetstriker wrote:After removing the spare drive the options are now active and I'am able to extend my raid. Thanks for the help!
Please review article: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

MrVideo
Experience counts

Post by MrVideo »

pwilson wrote:You have to remove the "Spare" from the array before you can add another member. Once the 6th drive has been added to the array, you can re-add the spare.
I'm curious. Why is that?
QTS MANUALS
Submit QNAP Support Ticket - QNAP Tutorials, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki - Product Support Status - Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2
Asking a question, include the following
(Thanks to Toxic17)
QNAP md_checker nasreport (release 20210309)
===============================
Model: TS-869L -- RAM: 3G -- FW: QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522 (used for data storage)
WD60EFRX-68L0BN1(x1)/68MYMN1(x7) Red HDDs -- RAID6: 8x6TB -- Cold spare: 1x6TB
Entware
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 2G -- FW: QTS 4.5.2 Build 20210202 (used as a video server)
WL3000GSA6472(x3) White label NAS HDDs -- RAID5: 3x3TB
Entware -- MyKodi 17.3 (default is Kodi 16)
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos | My 2019 N. Ireland Game of Thrones tour
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

MrVideo wrote:
pwilson wrote:You have to remove the "Spare" from the array before you can add another member. Once the 6th drive has been added to the array, you can re-add the spare.
I'm curious. Why is that?
Because that is what the documentation says. I didn't write it, I merely quoted it.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”