HS-251 wont start up

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
parost
Starting out

HS-251 wont start up

Post by parost »

I have started a ticket but I also want to try if someone have solution on the forum:
The HS-251 wont start up after shutdown.
I have tried to reset it but nothing happens when holding down the reset button.
When I press the power button the network back on the unit is flashing orang/green and it say "starting on the screen.

After a while I come to this:
"Welecome to , ."
"Login: " (I cant see all the text due to it seems to be a different resolution)
If I try to use admin/admin with a USB keyboard, I get the following:
"id: Command not found"
"reset: Command not found"

This has happened before, and that time it worked with a reset. I have tried starting it with and without the disks.

What shall I do to get it working again.
korxo
New here

Re: HS-251 wont start up

Post by korxo »

I have the same exact problem. Did you fix it? Please, help a brother! :D
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

Using a Bluetooth keyboard doesn't seem like a good ide. Try instead a good old fashion USB keyboard. (You can buy one for $5)
Having said that, logging into the command prompt isn't going to do you much good unless you are a Linux geek.
I have seen that behaviour too on my HS-251 a few times, and all I did was to power down, wait a few seconds and the power back up again.
You should first see the American Megatrend Logo (big red), and then the little grey box outline with the text "starting up..." underneath (or something similar).
If it consistantly goes into command mode logon, then I suspect your QTS/HDS is corrupt - perhaps due to a HDD bad sector.
Check also if you can find the NAS using Qfinder from windows.
Alternatively you can try to remove your hard drives and boot without them and then see if you can find the NAS using Qfinder from Windows.
ImageImageImage
korxo
New here

Post by korxo »

Thanks for your help @oyvindo. I should write a more detailed post about it.

Yes, this behaviour happened to me twice in the past. And the power down trick made the magic. However, this time has been a gently shutdown via GUI. It really annoying. I also tried to start up with no HDD:

I have an USB Keyboard. In fact, I see POST process, I can access BIOS, even I can log as admin/admin. However, no clue about how to fix it. ifconfig shows no IP address (of course QNAP finder doesn't find it). I am not a linux geek but I am an average linux user.

I also suspect there are something missed/corrupted. Any help would be appreciated.
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

Hmmmm.... I guess you've already tried factory reset without any HDD inserted?
If that doesn't work, then you're in trouble - most likely a HW problem.
ImageImageImage
parost
Starting out

Post by parost »

I was told by the support that the only thing that would fix the problem was to send the unit back for service (not able to repair the firmware via distance). Sorry, about the bad news...
korxo
New here

Post by korxo »

I have made a deeper troubleshooting and I have bad news for me. Executing "fdisk -l" shows no flash disks so I'm really fcked :P. I'm opening a ticket to confirm my diagnosis and handle an RMA.

Most annoying thing is that I just made a normal shutdown to move the QNAP. Really bad opinion from hardware.

Thanks for your reply guys.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”