All data appears lost - TS-439

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
redacre
Starting out

Re: All data appears lost - TS-439

Post by redacre »

Although QNAP control panel shows a warning on HDD1, the I/O status shows as 'Good'.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

redacre wrote:Yes, spotted failed HDD1 earlier today but certainly all was well when I checked 2 weeks ago.
This has nothing to do with your lack of data. It does need to be addressed, but it a different issue.
redacre wrote:Frequent backups - the NAS _is_ my backup. I assume you were being ironic ...?
Nope. I was being completely serious. If your NAS is your "Backup", then the data still lives on the original source, simply restore it from the original source. If the original source no longer exists, then your NAS is not your Backup at all. Most people use their NAS devices as "Network Attached Storage" rather than as a "Backup" device.

It is only a "Backup" if the same data exists in two (or more) locations at the same time. If the only copy of the data is on the NAS, then it wasn't a Backup at all.

I backup my NAS daily here.

We can debate this all day, but the bottom line is that that your NAS only presently has 442.6M of data on it. As you have no Backups whatsoever, you have lost your data. I would recommend that you purchase an eSATA/USB Drive Dock for your future Backups. (You can schedule your Backups to occur in the middle of the night while you are sleeping). I paid <$50USD for my Dock.

Code: Select all

df -h /share/MD0_DATA
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0 2.7T 442.6M 2.7T 0% /share/MD0_DATA
Check it out yourself with the above command.

Check out the External Backup section of the fine manual to learn how to actually Backup your NAS.

Actually making Backups of your NAS would have protected your allegedly important data.
Last edited by pwilson on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

redacre wrote:Although QNAP control panel shows a warning on HDD1, the I/O status shows as 'Good'.
That is contrary to the S.M.A.R.T. data provided by my NASReport script.

Lets have another look at HDD1.

Please provide output for:

Code: Select all

/sbin/get_hd_smartinfo -d 1
If it shows even a single "Reallocated sector" then the drive needs to be replaced. This does not explain your complete data loss.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”