Hidden Folders Inaccessible

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
TriniMan_999
New here

Hidden Folders Inaccessible

Post by TriniMan_999 »

I created a folder accessible only to the admin user and not visible n the network. After a firmware update and reboot, the folder disappeared and I can no longer access it. I can see it exists under the Storage Manager but it is inaccessible. It does not show up under the File Station either even with the option to show hidden files selected nor can I navigate to it despite logging in as admin. What went wrong and how can I fix it?
pwilson
Guru

Re: Hidden Folders Inaccessible

Post by pwilson »

TriniMan_999 wrote:I created a folder accessible only to the admin user and not visible n the network. After a firmware update and reboot, the folder disappeared and I can no longer access it. I can see it exists under the Storage Manager but it is inaccessible. It does not show up under the File Station either even with the option to show hidden files selected nor can I navigate to it despite logging in as admin. What went wrong and how can I fix it?
It is only "hidden". You can still access it from your Windows machine using it's UNC Path via Windows Explorer..

If this is not useful advice, then perhaps you should "unhide" it.

Anyway, you've provided no useful information here about your configuration or the share in question, so this generic advice will have to suffice. Next time, please review article: When you're asking a question, please include the following before posting to this Forum, and/or provide more information about your "hidden" share.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
TriniMan_999
New here

Post by TriniMan_999 »

Hi Patrick,

When I try to access it via the path, I get an error saying I don't have access and I cannot see the folder under the File Station to unhide it either. My apologies for not providing more info. I have a TS-451 and the problem surfaced after the last firmware update to 4.2.0. It was working fine before the update. I actually tried to create another hidden folder and the same thing happened after a reboot. I have a simple network based around an ASUS RT-AC68U and I cannot access the folder from any device on the network when I log in as admin from either my PC (Windows 7 Pro) or my Note 4 File Station app. The error says the folder is not accessible because of possible permission errors.

I can see the folder in the volume management but it reads empty which it isn't. The folder does not appear in the file station so I cannot change the properties. I got other problems with the update with my Plex server but I was able to resolve those by manually reinstalling.
MrVideo
Experience counts

Post by MrVideo »

You still haven't provided all that Patrick was looking for. You've yet to give us the name of the folder, specifically the path to that folder. You haven't indicated if you can "see" the folder when logging in via ssh.
QTS MANUALS
Submit QNAP Support Ticket - QNAP Tutorials, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki - Product Support Status - Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2
Asking a question, include the following
(Thanks to Toxic17)
QNAP md_checker nasreport (release 20210309)
===============================
Model: TS-869L -- RAM: 3G -- FW: QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522 (used for data storage)
WD60EFRX-68L0BN1(x1)/68MYMN1(x7) Red HDDs -- RAID6: 8x6TB -- Cold spare: 1x6TB
Entware
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 2G -- FW: QTS 4.5.2 Build 20210202 (used as a video server)
WL3000GSA6472(x3) White label NAS HDDs -- RAID5: 3x3TB
Entware -- MyKodi 17.3 (default is Kodi 16)
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos | My 2019 N. Ireland Game of Thrones tour
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

TriniMan_999 wrote:Hi Patrick,

When I try to access it via the path, I get an error saying I don't have access and I cannot see the folder under the File Station to unhide it either. My apologies for not providing more info. I have a TS-451 and the problem surfaced after the last firmware update to 4.2.0. It was working fine before the update. I actually tried to create another hidden folder and the same thing happened after a reboot. I have a simple network based around an ASUS RT-AC68U and I cannot access the folder from any device on the network when I log in as admin from either my PC (Windows 7 Pro) or my Note 4 File Station app. The error says the folder is not accessible because of possible permission errors.

I can see the folder in the volume management but it reads empty which it isn't. The folder does not appear in the file station so I cannot change the properties. I got other problems with the update with my Plex server but I was able to resolve those by manually reinstalling.
What is the name of the share in question? If you'd provide this information, I can provide instructions for checking those permissions via the Linux CLI via SSH (PuTTY).

BTW you should "never" access any share as "admin". Create a user on the NAS with identical username and password as your Windows machine, and then adjust the permissions so that your Windows user can access the share in question.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

TriniMan_999
New here

Post by TriniMan_999 »

I am not a Tech - more of a power user at best. The Folder name is Kendall which is also my windows logon. I don't have a machine running Linux and have little experience with it. The path is \\NAS\Kendall.

I repeat that I was able to see it previously and then when the NAS was updated and rebooted, it stopped working. I was merely trying to have a connect that was visible only when I logged in which nobody else on the network does. The NAS is serving as a media server and serves up content via plex.

It would be very helpful if someone could explain why it stopped working so I could understand what went wrong. I was able to see the folder by the UNC path directly from my machine and the file manager app on my phone which logs in directly to the NAS.
TriniMan_999
New here

Post by TriniMan_999 »

I also don't understand why it is that when I log into the NAS directly, the folder does not show up in the File Station. Shouldn't all folders and files be visible there when you have the hidden files option selected?
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

TriniMan_999 wrote:I am not a Tech - more of a power user at best. The Folder name is Kendall which is also my windows logon. I don't have a machine running Linux and have little experience with it. The path is \\NAS\Kendall.
That is the UNC Path for it, but that is not it's location on the NAS. If you have the Home Folders feature enabled, then it will live in /share/homes/Kendall.

Please access your NAS via SSH (PuTTY), login as "admin" and run the following commands:

Code: Select all

echo "Firmware:       $(getcfg system version) Build $(getcfg system 'Build Number')"
echo "System Name:    $(/bin/hostname)"
echo "Workgroup:      $(getcfg system workgroup)"
testparm -s -l --section-name=Kendall 2>/dev/null
getfacl $(testparm -s -l --section-name=Kendall --parameter-name=path 2>/dev/null)
#done
Please cut&paste the output of these commands back to this message thread.

Are you using the Home Folders feature on your NAS?

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Definitively something borked - potential /etc/smb.conf file corruption from before adding the hidden share(s). No problems adding new hidden shared folders, ie. with limited access or admin only. The shared folders show up correct in the Storage Manager, the Shared Folder administration, in File Station (only SMB access is hidden) [TS-451, QTS 4.2 20151025].

You might have to extend the scope of checking the config beyond the single folder section.
TriniMan_999
New here

Post by TriniMan_999 »

Home Folders is enabled. The results from the commands are as follows:

Firmware: 4.2.0 Build 20151023
System Name: NJO-NAS
Workgroup: NAS
Load smb config files from /etc/config/smb.conf
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
WARNING: The "null passwords" option is deprecated
Processing section "[Multimedia]"
Processing section "[Download]"
Processing section "[Recordings]"
Processing section "[Web]"
Processing section "[Public]"
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[Kendall]"
Unknown parameter encountered: "Snapsync_enc"
Ignoring unknown parameter "Snapsync_enc"
Unknown parameter encountered: "Snapsync_alais"
Ignoring unknown parameter "Snapsync_alais"
Unknown parameter encountered: "encryption_timestamp"
Ignoring unknown parameter "encryption_timestamp"
Unknown parameter encountered: "encryption_status"
Ignoring unknown parameter "encryption_status"
Unknown parameter encountered: "savekey"
Ignoring unknown parameter "savekey"
Processing section "[Admin]"
Unknown parameter encountered: "Snapsync_enc"
Ignoring unknown parameter "Snapsync_enc"
Unknown parameter encountered: "Snapsync_alais"
Ignoring unknown parameter "Snapsync_alais"
Unknown parameter encountered: "encryption_timestamp"
Ignoring unknown parameter "encryption_timestamp"
Unknown parameter encountered: "encryption_status"
Ignoring unknown parameter "encryption_status"
Unknown parameter encountered: "savekey"
Ignoring unknown parameter "savekey"
Processing section "[home]"
Loaded services file OK.
Unknown section Kendall2
getfacl: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Kendall: No such file or directory
TriniMan_999
New here

Post by TriniMan_999 »

Ran the commands twice with different results

Firmware: 4.2.0 Build 20151023
[~] # echo "System Name: $(/bin/hostname)"
System Name: NJO-NAS
[~] # echo "Workgroup: $(getcfg system workgroup)"
Workgroup: NAS
[~] # testparm -s -l --section-name=Kendall 2>/dev/null
[Kendall]
path = /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Kendall
recycle bin = Yes
encryption = yes
invalid users = guest
valid users = root, admin
write list = admin
inherit permissions = Yes
guest ok = Yes
smb encrypt = No
browseable = No
[~] # getfacl $(testparm -s -l --section-name=Kendall --parameter-name=path 2>/dev/null)
getfacl: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Kendall: No such file or directory
[~] # #done
TriniMan_999
New here

Post by TriniMan_999 »

I was able to get to the folder via the Control Panel and unlocked the access. I can now see the folder by directly entering the path as before. The Storage Manager now reports the folder as not being empty but it still isn't showing up in the File Station. This has been a most confusing incident and I still don't understand what happened or why.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”