SSD Cache Acceleration on TS-451

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Urvishptl
First post

SSD Cache Acceleration on TS-451

Post by Urvishptl »

Hello,

My setup is 4 2tb hdd in a raid 5 on a TS-451 NAS.

I would like to use cache acceleration option to get better performance. I main use this to run plex server and storage purposes. Since I have multiple friends using my plex content, NAS performs slow. I am thinking adding this might improve the performance of the NAS.

Can I connect the Samsung external SSD to Usb 3.0 port and setup cache acceleration?
if yes, do I need to re-setup the volumes? which RAID should use?

Thanks in advance.

-Urv
Don
Guru

Re: SSD Cache Acceleration on TS-451

Post by Don »

No. Cache has to be on an internal slot. Not sure your model supports cache.

How did you determine that the disk is your bottleneck?
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
stfual
New here

Post by stfual »

For the TS x51 series some references say it is supported and some do not mention it.
I suspect this is a case of documentation not being updated consistently which is why forums are useful.
This page says it is supported.

http://docs.qnap.com/nas/4.1/SMB/en/ind ... ration.htm

Model SSD slots Trays Supported
TS-x51 All No limit
Doublee
New here

Post by Doublee »

In my TVS-871 I had 2 ssd's in slots 0 & 1, I needed to expand the volume so I replaced the ssd with 2 HDD to have 8 disks in RAID 6.
Can't see any performance degradation at all. SSD cache comes into use if you plan to run iSCSI and/or virtual machines in the NAS,
No benefit whatsoever for normal usage (streaming, backup and such).

In your case you have 4 drives occupied with 0 drives left for any ssd cache, meaning that you can't install any ssd cache at all.
Bijiont
Starting out

Post by Bijiont »

Exactly what Doublee stated, adding cache acceleration will not make any difference with basic operations.

I was hoping for the same thing and added two Samsung SSD's for read and write acceleration which gave me no benefit at all. You are probably better off trunking your NICs to handle the bandwidth demands.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”