Which risk in create a total different RAID with new disks?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Benna80
Easy as a breeze

Which risk in create a total different RAID with new disks?

Post by Benna80 »

I've a 4 disk RAID that i use in a profitable way on my TVS-471 system.
I'm wondering what happen if i buy another 4 WD RED disks and replace 1 by 1 the old disks with the new one (1 by 1 so in this way the new inserted disk will be rebuilt with the current RAID configuration mantaining data and settings, repeting this procedure for all the 4 disks), will i be able to switch back to the old disks (and old RAID)? I mean, for the system, the OLD raid will be exactly the same as the NEW raid so i can switch them without the risk of loosing configuration and data?
johnripper
Experience counts

Re: Which risk in create a total different RAID with new disks?

Post by johnripper »

I wonder why you want to do this, because I think you didn't get the technical idea/background of RAID, Volume and/or Storage Pools

But yes it should be possible AS long as you don't extent the volume/storage pool size after replacing the drive with (potential) larger ones. A complete reverse requires a one-by-one change of each drive of course.

Just for your understating: The Volume or storage pool that is living on the drives will not be changes if you change your drives one-by-one. Just the underling media/drives change so that the new drives become part of the old volume. ..
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Benna80 wrote:I mean, for the system, the OLD raid will be exactly the same as the NEW raid so i can switch them without the risk of loosing configuration and data?
You should never insert disks containing data into a NAS!

There is only one exception to the above rule and that is when doing a System Migration, moving all disks from one powered down Qnap to another (on supported models only).
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Benna80
Easy as a breeze

Post by Benna80 »

I agree with you johnripper, i'm not that expert on RAID systems, that's why i'm trying to clarify my ideas.

For example, suppose that i would like to test some configurations but not on the "production" system. The idea was to replicate the exact same configurations by rebuilding the RAID system, and being able to swap the 4 disks whenerver i want to switch between production system and test system.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Benna80 wrote:The idea was to replicate the exact same configurations by rebuilding the RAID system, and being able to swap the 4 disks whenerver i want to switch between production system and test system.
Well if you later power down and swap all 4 disks back at the same time and in the same order, that would be like a System Migration to the same model NAS so yes it's supported and should work.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

You cannot replace them one at a time and then use the disks you removed to insert all at once and have a working raid because the disks would be out of sync.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
Benna80
Easy as a breeze

Post by Benna80 »

Don wrote:You cannot replace them one at a time and then use the disks you removed to insert all at once and have a working raid because the disks would be out of sync.
Ok DON, help me please In understanding your sentence: what do you mean with "out of sync"?
P3R states that in theory the system should startup again...
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Last edited by storageman on Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

You mentioned replacing the disks one by one. You replace the first disk and lets say it takes 15 hours to rebuild. You replace the second and another 15 hours. Same for disks 3 and 4. so you now have 4 disks that were removed from the raid array all at different times. None of these disks are in sync with one another so can't be used to mount a raid.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
Benna80
Easy as a breeze

Post by Benna80 »

Ok, then, is there some other way to accomplish my objective?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

shut the NAS down,

take all drives out and clone them externally 1:1

Put them back in, and you have a perfect copy off all member drives at shutdown time
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Benna80 wrote:Ok, then, is there some other way to accomplish my objective?
Have a separate system for testing and backups and don't F around with a production system.

johnripper
Experience counts

Post by johnripper »

dolbyman wrote:shut the NAS down,

take all drives out and clone them externally 1:1

Put them back in, and you have a perfect copy off all member drives at shutdown time
I wouldnt do this. There is no garantee that this will properly work, and there is a risk that you kill your actual RAID set.
johnripper
Experience counts

Post by johnripper »

Benna80 wrote:Ok, then, is there some other way to accomplish my objective?
What do you really want to do? Just let us know your scenario and we can assist.

What are the needs, what are the restrictions? About how many data we talk? etc...
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

johnripper wrote:
I wouldnt do this. There is no garantee that this will properly work, and there is a risk that you kill your actual RAID set.
I fail to see how this could fail, but as an alternative

Get a second NAS
Setup NAS to NAS backup

That basically Goes along with Don's comment
Don wrote:Have a separate system for testing and backups and don't F around with a production system.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”