URGENT : Is cloning a Raid member offline possible?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
ichbinsnur
Starting out

Re: URGENT : Is cloning a Raid member offline possible?

Post by ichbinsnur »

P3R wrote:
johnripper wrote:For a HDD vendor replacement only the output of there own testing tools are sufficient for replacement to be in line with there warranty restrictions.
In another thread where you've been active ichbinsnur did report that a disk did fail the vendor test but it doesn't matter if this is the same disk or not. Multiple pending/reallocated sectors on a 4 week old disk is simply unacceptable and I can't imagine that any disk manufacturer would turn such a warranty claim down if you insist. If they do, then let it be heard in this and every other NAS-related forum on the net and at least they will suffer from that very bad decision as well.
Nevertheless, I never got any problem with it.
Good for you. I think that most experienced system administrators are less keen on exploring the limits than you seem to be.
Hi P3R.
I'm totally with you, that condition on a new disk is unacceptable.

Yes, we talk about that same disk.
The raid rebuild (using the hot spare) is now complete and i'm waiting for a new drive (ordered as backup) to arrive.
What i'm not sure about is, if i will get a replacement from my reseller for the faulty drive, just based on the fact that it's almost bbrand new but failing WD's tests already.
Well, i'll try and report.

Thanks also to MrVideo for clarification.
Exactly what i fount true after the rebuild finised.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

ichbinsnur wrote:What i'm not sure about is, if i will get a replacement from my reseller for the faulty drive, just based on the fact that it's almost bbrand new but failing WD's tests already.
That's exactly what the warranty is supposed to cover.

Warranty claims are handled differently depending on what market you're in. In Europe the reseller that sold you the disk is supposed to deal with warranty replacements. Contact them and they should advice you how to proceed.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
johnripper
Experience counts

Post by johnripper »

I normally go for the vendor if possible; its faster and sometimes they provide a disk before they receive the old one back ("Vorabtausch").

Requires a HDD w/warranty by the vendor, not some OEM/Bulk HDD or grey imports from strange distributions ways.
ichbinsnur
Starting out

Post by ichbinsnur »

That drive leaves me puzzled.
I ran WDDLG for DOS full test and said it "repaired" some bad sectors.
The pending sectors count is now = again and doesn't inrease.
Read errors also seem not to increase anymore.
Renran the test and it completed without errors.
Short test still fails with tiemout.
Same if i use WDDLG 1.29 Win. Short test never completes (sticks to 90% for hours)
Full test completes without errors.

I don't think i will get the drive RMA'ed with that results....
But should i trust such drive? ...
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

ichbinsnur wrote:I ran WDDLG for DOS full test and said it "repaired" some bad sectors.
So the bad sectors were remapped and are now instead visible under SMART ID 5: Reallocated_sector_Ct and ID 196: Reallocated_Event_Ct.
I think you will if you focus on reporting the failed test. That one test works is in my opinion irrelevant and there is no need to even mention that or the remapped sectors. Unless both tests complete without errors or hanging the disk is faulty and should be replaced!
I wouldn't.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
ichbinsnur
Starting out

Post by ichbinsnur »

P3R wrote:
ichbinsnur wrote:I ran WDDLG for DOS full test and said it "repaired" some bad sectors.
So the bad sectors were remapped and are now instead visible under SMART ID 5: Reallocated_sector_Ct and ID 196: Reallocated_Event_Ct.

Nope, they don't! That's why i find the bahavior so strange. Reallocated count IS STILL ZERO!
I think you will if you focus on reporting the failed test. That one test works is in my opinion irrelevant and there is no need to even mention that or the remapped sectors. Unless both tests complete without errors or hanging the disk is faulty and should be replaced!
I Contaced WD a few minutes ago. We'll see ...
I wouldn't.
I wouldn't too, replacement drive is already mounted.
Now it's only to get RMA for the faulty one.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

ichbinsnur wrote:Nope, they don't! That's why i find the bahavior so strange. Reallocated count IS STILL ZERO!
Okay, then the Current_Pending_Sectors where determined to be okay by the WD program so no reallocation was necessary. "Repaired" is of course incorrect as nothing was repaired, only that the sectors where okay when tested this time. They will likely fail again in a not so distant future.

ichbinsnur
Starting out

Post by ichbinsnur »

P3R wrote:"Repaired" is of course incorrect as nothing was repaired, only that the sectors where okay when tested this time. They will likely fail again in a not so distant future.
Yes, i know!
That's why i put the "repaired" in qotes in the first place. ;)

Being concerned about the failing SMART test, i sent an email to WD and they said the drive qualifies for replacement.
WD said if the reseller wouldn't accept the return they would replace it themselves.

In my case i sent the drive back to the reseller and got a replacement shipped 2 days later. :D

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”