Missing Capacity on Hard Drive

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
PaulMc
New here

Missing Capacity on Hard Drive

Post by PaulMc »

Hi I am new to the forum so hopefully this hasn't been answered elsewhere or isn't a newbies mistake.
I have a TS-212P with a pair of 2TB drives mirrored. I have been getting warnings about HDD being full so moved some files to another unit but noticed this didn't free up as much space as I thought. When I checked the Storage Manage it said I had 1.6TB in my multimedia folder but when I check in File Station it says there is only 42GB of files.
Have emptied every recycle bin that I could find and run a file check on the drives but still get the same mis-match.
What am I missing?
P3R
Guru

Re: Missing Capacity on Hard Drive

Post by P3R »

Try to push the refresh button with the two green arrows (on the far right) for the Multimedia shared folder.

The NAS does this refresh automatically nightly for all shared folders but changes made through the day will not be visible in the user interface until the next morning unless you do a manual refresh.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
PaulMc
New here

Post by PaulMc »

Thanks, tried that to no effect. Still same problem.
There is either some latency I can't overcome or there are hidden files I can get rid of.
Storage information for the folder gives 1.6Tb and about 15000 files while folder properties gives 42GB and about 6000 files.
Is it something about it being a shared folder?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

PaulMc wrote:...or there are hidden files I can get rid of.
Probably.
Is it something about it being a shared folder?
I can't think of a way that would affect this situation.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
MrVideo
Experience counts

Post by MrVideo »

Have tried logging in as admin via SSH and looking around to see if you can find where the space is being taken up?
QTS MANUALS
Submit QNAP Support Ticket - QNAP Tutorials, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki - Product Support Status - Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2
Asking a question, include the following
(Thanks to Toxic17)
QNAP md_checker nasreport (release 20210309)
===============================
Model: TS-869L -- RAM: 3G -- FW: QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522 (used for data storage)
WD60EFRX-68L0BN1(x1)/68MYMN1(x7) Red HDDs -- RAID6: 8x6TB -- Cold spare: 1x6TB
Entware
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 2G -- FW: QTS 4.5.2 Build 20210202 (used as a video server)
WL3000GSA6472(x3) White label NAS HDDs -- RAID5: 3x3TB
Entware -- MyKodi 17.3 (default is Kodi 16)
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos | My 2019 N. Ireland Game of Thrones tour
Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

Its likely to be hidden directories full of thumbnails ".@__thumb" etc - the media options on the NAS generate these automatically. There are other options but as you are talking about your media folders its likely to be the culprit.

i had a directory structure of 500,000 photos go to almost 2,000,000 because of this. I have turned all the options off now - turning them off does not solve the problem - that's a manual task of deleting the mess!

You will only be able to see these directories (and there is one for every folder that has media in it!!) if you ssh in to your NAS - if you are not familiar with ssh then use something like winSCP (assuming you use windows)

Have a look around your nas and see if this is the problem if so then search on here and you will find several threads that have scripts to delete the hidden folders

If you don't turn the media options off they will come back over night!!!!

have fun
Tim

TS-853A(16GB): - 4.3.4.0483 - Static volume - Raid5 - 8 x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
Windows Server + StableBit Drivepool and Scanner ~115 TB Backup Server
TS-412 & TS-459 Pro II: Retired
Clients: 3 x Windows 10 Pro(64bit)
PaulMc
New here

Post by PaulMc »

Thanks, I will turn of the media option and try to have a look.
Now I just need to brush up on ssh and scripts to delete hidden files
MrVideo
Experience counts

Post by MrVideo »

Search the forum, you'll find the info already posted, since I posted it (at least one poster about it).
QTS MANUALS
Submit QNAP Support Ticket - QNAP Tutorials, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki - Product Support Status - Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2
Asking a question, include the following
(Thanks to Toxic17)
QNAP md_checker nasreport (release 20210309)
Model: TS-869L -- RAM: 3G -- FW: QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522 (used for data storage)
WD60EFRX-68L0BN1(x1)/68MYMN1(x7) Red HDDs -- RAID6: 8x6TB -- Cold spare: 1x6TB
Entware
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 2G -- FW: QTS 4.5.2 Build 20210202 (used as a video server)
WL3000GSA6472(x3) White label NAS HDDs -- RAID5: 3x3TB
Entware -- MyKodi 17.3 (default is Kodi 16)
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos | My 2019 N. Ireland Game of Thrones tour

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”