[RESOLVED] Manual RAID expansion, Web UI now all wrong

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
abmagfab
Getting the hang of things

[RESOLVED] Manual RAID expansion, Web UI now all wrong

Post by abmagfab »

So I had to manually expand my RAID array, which wasn't a big deal at all (I needed to do an mdadm --grow as well as an expand, all from linux command line). It's a bummer the Web UI is buggy here, but not that big an issue since it's easy enough to to manually.

However, now the Web UI has the wrong information in the RAID and Volume management pages. I expanded from 4 to 5 disks in my RAID 5 array, and while the total size is correct, the Web UI is still showing Disk 5 as a single disk, and the RAID array as only having 4 disks. I've rebooted and it's made no difference.

Any ideas on how to fix this in the Web UI? Is there just some text file somewhere I can edit? I've attached screen shots.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by abmagfab on Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
PowerMAC
Been there, done that

Re: Manual RAID expansion, Web UI now all wrong

Post by PowerMAC »

I'm not at all sure if this will get you in even more trouble so try at your own risk!!!

Anyway, here goes and just an idea: what happens when you reflash the current firmware that you are using?
“Count the black dots, recount to confirm…” http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/lum_scGrid/index.html
abmagfab

Post by abmagfab »

I considered that, but am in the middle of a lot of other operations. I could try that tomorrow night, but would like to know if that will fix it, and if there are other options for correcting this?

I'm assuming it must be reading this config from some file somewhere, since mdadm returns the proper information?
abmagfab

Post by abmagfab »

Okay, reupgraded to the 3.2 firmware, and it made no difference.

Anyone know where the data the WebUI uses is located? It's clearly not getting it from the mdadm command.
PowerMAC
Been there, done that

Post by PowerMAC »

Well, not sure if this will help you but much Web Configuration info can be found here:

/etc/config/uLinux.conf

I have had a problem some time ago where I could not access a certain menu option (when I clicked on it I was thrown back to the login screen),
when I looked around I found this file and saw a bunch of hex characters at that menu option. After removing those and replacing it with a default name everything worked again!
“Count the black dots, recount to confirm…” http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/lum_scGrid/index.html
abmagfab

Post by abmagfab »

Nothing in that file... Any other ideas? I've been poking around for a while, and can't find it anywhere.
abmagfab

Post by abmagfab »

BUMP - Anyone have any ideas? It's really annoying to go to my status screen and see something that it totally wrong... Is there some sort of "reset WebUI" command?
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

I did some poking around and found (very easily) two files that reference the raid system.

/etc/storage.conf
/etc/config/raidtab

No guarantees that this is what you are looking for or that changing this will not hose your system.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
abmagfab

Post by abmagfab »

Don wrote:I did some poking around and found (very easily) two files that reference the raid system.

/etc/storage.conf
/etc/config/raidtab

No guarantees that this is what you are looking for or that changing this will not hose your system.
Thank you! I couldn't find those files, and it appears that tweaking them both has resolved the UI issue without harming the actual array. Reloading firmware and rebooting now to make sure.
abmagfab

Post by abmagfab »

Reboot worked fine, everything in good shape.

I'm not sure it even uses the second file, as editing the first file seemed to fix everything, but I edited the second file as well since it was wrong.

What did you use to find these? I'm digging up all these Linux commands from the deep dark recesses of my Solaris days...
Don
Guru

Re: [RESOLVED] Manual RAID expansion, Web UI now all wrong

Post by Don »

I used WinSCP to browse the filesystem.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
abmagfab

Post by abmagfab »

Did you just search on file names, or did you search for file content?
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

I just looked at /etc and /etc/config for filenames that looked like it might have something to do with disk storage or raid. I then looked at the files to see what they contained.

abmagfab

Post by abmagfab »

Gotcha... thanks!
keesz
Starting out

Post by keesz »

Did editing the mentioned files leads to a solution?
See my post please?
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=133666
Thanks and Regards.
Keep smiling ! :lol:

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”