Trim for SSDs

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
recon
New here

Trim for SSDs

Post by recon »

We have 4 SSDs (Supertalent with Trim-Support) as RAID5 in a Qnap SS-439. Does any know if there is a way to enable TRIM support on Qnap. Or is it possible to trim the SSDs with similar tool like wiper.exe under windows?
jello_moto
Know my way around

Re: Trim for SSDs

Post by jello_moto »

I want to know this as well. In order for SSD's to be used in QNAP storage appliances, trim support is vital.

What say you QNAP?
ink
Know my way around

Post by ink »

Isn't the CPU the limiting factor in the speed of the SS-439?
What transfer rates can you get ?
TS-453S-Pro - 4* 2TB - RAID10(ish) [Devuan ZFS] 16GB RAM
PiroNet
Easy as a breeze

Post by PiroNet »

recon wrote:We have 4 SSDs (Supertalent with Trim-Support) as RAID5 in a Qnap SS-439. Does any know if there is a way to enable TRIM support on Qnap. Or is it possible to trim the SSDs with similar tool like wiper.exe under windows?
Linux version 2.6.33 and above supports TRIMing.
QNAP's latest firmware 3.3 runs linux 2.6.33.2 and they support some SSD models as well but not sure yours are in the list though...

Now I'm not sure the function is activated by default :(

QNAP engineers your call :)
PiroNet
Easy as a breeze

Post by PiroNet »

I copy here Mark Lord's words on the 'native TRIM' function in the recent Linux kernel.
It might be interesting for anybody concerned with SSD, TRIMing and QNAP devices as well with other storage devices.
There has been a TRIM add-on for the Linux kernel ("native TRIM") available for many months now, but it has not gone mainstream yet due to lack of real TRIM hardware for testing it.

Now that we have real TRIM hardware, that add-on has proven inadequate (slows things down way too much), so some redesign / rework is necessary before it can go mainstream.

The lead developer, Matthew Wilcox, is mulling over the design now, with contributions from myself and several other key Linux kernel people.

This process will take several months, which is why I created wiper.sh for use in the interim. Heck, one of the better longer term proposals is to stick with something like this, but with improved kernel integration/support for it.

Cheers
Eventually the wiper.sh v3.a script may help in the interim but it just doesn't work on my TS-459. If anybody is willing to look into it that would be great for the QNAP community I guess ;)

Cheers,
Didier
PiroNet
Easy as a breeze

Post by PiroNet »

PiroNet wrote:Eventually the wiper.sh v3.a script may help in the interim but it just doesn't work on my TS-459. If anybody is willing to look into it that would be great for the QNAP community I guess ;)
I got it working finally ... How To Get wiper.sh Running On QNAP Storage Devices To TRIM SSDs?
Complicated
Starting out

Post by Complicated »

TRIM is Supported since Linux 2.6.33 Kernel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM#Opera ... SD_support

But there ist no existing OS that would support TRIM for RAID Konfiguration.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM#Shortcomings
The TRIM command does not work on RAID volumes.[17][18] For a short time in March 2010, users were led to believe that the Intel Rapid Storage Technology 9.6 drivers supported TRIM in RAID volumes, but Intel later clarified that TRIM was supported for the BIOS settings of AHCI mode and RAID mode, but not if the drive was part of a RAID volume.[19]
Garbage Collection ist far more vital to RAID Arrays then TRIM. So I would use Sandforce Controller based SSDs, since they handle Data different with their Duraclass Technology. The usage of TRIM is far less important there, if not futile at all.
TS-239 Pro | Version 3.2.0 Build 1212 | 2x 1TB WD WD10EADS RAID1 Ext3
eSATA Verbatim | 1TB SAMSUNG HD103SI Ext3
Fritzbox 7270 | FritzMedia 8040 | 1&1 Onlinestorage 1TB
PiroNet
Easy as a breeze

Post by PiroNet »

Complicated wrote:TRIM is Supported since Linux 2.6.33 Kernel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM#Opera ... SD_support

But there ist no existing OS that would support TRIM for RAID Konfiguration.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM#Shortcomings
The TRIM command does not work on RAID volumes.[17][18] For a short time in March 2010, users were led to believe that the Intel Rapid Storage Technology 9.6 drivers supported TRIM in RAID volumes, but Intel later clarified that TRIM was supported for the BIOS settings of AHCI mode and RAID mode, but not if the drive was part of a RAID volume.[19]
Garbage Collection ist far more vital to RAID Arrays then TRIM. So I would use Sandforce Controller based SSDs, since they handle Data different with their Duraclass Technology. The usage of TRIM is far less important there, if not futile at all.
As far as I know Garbage Collection and TRIM are tied together, although GC doesn't need TRIM to collect garbages, it does a better job all together with TRIM to avoid an issue called Write Amplification.

I know that SandForce claims to reduce this WA to a very low level but with EFDs (Enterprise Flash Drives) which are targeted to enterprises and are mmm expensive!
bogdanfa
Starting out

Post by bogdanfa »

Is there anything new from 2010 in the TRIM function for SSD.
I really want to TRIM my 6 x Samsung 840pro (RAID5) - some performance factors are way lower than single SSD drive...

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”