ATA-8 - SATA600 - ST32000641AS

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
charlyd
Getting the hang of things

ATA-8 - SATA600 - ST32000641AS

Post by charlyd »

Hi my disk are ATA8 or SATA600 will it be supported in the future firmware or is it hardware update of the internal controller. my 859 pro is just 3 month old ;-)
- Qnap Storage, looking for repairs from all sorts of hardware/backplane problems. [ for reasonable prices ]
( but also Tektronix, Agilent, Keysight and many more.. Scopes, Logic analysers, dmm & more..)
->> Get in touch with me on c.dickens@xs4all.nl ( no diagnose by email )
Professional hardware engineer
Don
Guru

Re: ATA-8 - SATA600 - ST32000641AS

Post by Don »

It has to do with the hardware. The controller on all QNAP nas devices, except for the newest models announced at CBIT, will not support stata 600.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
sl1000
Experience counts

Post by sl1000 »

so? it wil just fall back to sata-300 on the current models. No problem at all imho as these drives aren't quick enough anyway to use the wide bandwith sata-600 has to offer.
Therefor the question would be: are these drives going to work with the current QNAP models, and my guess would be yes :)
Try searching the perfect online manual, forum or the Wiki for answers before posting
### Retired developer ###
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

As far as I can see they are on the compatibility list for TS-859 Pro without any notes so I'd expect them to work regardless of Qnap firmware version.

Of course they will fall back to SATA 3 Gbit/s as the TS-859 Pro hardware doesn't support SATA 6 Gbit/s. But as sl1000 points out, that shouldn't affect overall performance that much since SATA 3 Gbit/s usually isn't a bottleneck with mechanical disks. Only when reading from the onboard disk cache I expect SATA 6 Gbit/s to be beneficial.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
charlyd
Getting the hang of things

Post by charlyd »

yes yes you are right it works super, ST32000641AS (7x). i was just wondering and yes i thoung the answer would be hardware of course but not asked is not sure..;-)

i was playing arround with the jumbo frame option to set it to 9000 anyone experience with that . first i did that i lost my CONFIG totally so now i am a but carefully and what to know exact what to do and what NOT. my adpaters on the other site are INTEL Dual ports server adapater and yes they support jumbo frames. but as of for my switch it supports jumbo frames??

this is my switch:

SRW2016 16-Port 10/100/1000
Gigabit Switch
- Qnap Storage, looking for repairs from all sorts of hardware/backplane problems. [ for reasonable prices ]
( but also Tektronix, Agilent, Keysight and many more.. Scopes, Logic analysers, dmm & more..)
->> Get in touch with me on c.dickens@xs4all.nl ( no diagnose by email )
Professional hardware engineer
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

I'm sorry if I sounded patronizing, I'm not native in english and sometimes things come out wrong. There's absolutely no harm in asking, that's the way to learn!

According to the data sheet your switch does support jumbo frames. Possibly it needs to be enabled in the configuration interface? At least with my switches (different brand) that's necessary.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”