Add drive 1 to the volume failed

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
edwardl
Getting the hang of things

Re: Add drive 1 to the volume failed

Post by edwardl »

I faced similar problem recently and got the same error message but my harddisk is a branded new one without any partition. However, the drive cannot be added the the volume. Would anyone please help?

Many thanks!
Edward
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Most factory new HDD are pre-partitioned nowadays.
edwardl

Post by edwardl »

Dear schumaku,

Thanks for your quick reply. I faced the problem then I tried to remove all partitions in my harddisk so that all space in the harddisk is unallocated with no partition. However, I still got the same error message that makes me very confused.

Edward
mike_ayu
New here

Post by mike_ayu »

I'm trying to increase capacity on my TS-659 by swapping a 2TB for 3TB drive in bay 1. I got the "add drive 1 to volume failed" error, found this thread about an NTFS partition causing that - made sense as this was a drive I was using on my PC. Loaded it back on my PC, when into disk management UI and deleted the volume. It showed that I now had unallocated disk. Removed it, put it back into bay 1 - the system log showed that disk in bay 1 was plugged in, then wait (quite awhile - several hours) then got the same message that "Add drive 1 to the volume failed"

Wondering if I need to do something else to the disk. It looks like fdisk is not present into Windows 7 to try.

Am I missing something?

Mike
jmgaddis
First post

Post by jmgaddis »

Add me to the Thank you list.

Lost a couple/few hours trying to resolve this.

Deleted partition, re-inserted and it started rebuilding.

Thanks again.
John
lepitrust
New here

Post by lepitrust »

jmgaddis wrote:Add me to the Thank you list.

Lost a couple/few hours trying to resolve this.

Deleted partition, re-inserted and it started rebuilding.

Thanks again.
John
WORK FINE FOR ME!!!

THANK YOU!!!!
greyhatbrat
New here

Post by greyhatbrat »

Thank you! Googling "mirror disk volume drive 1 2 add drive 1 to the volume failed" brought me to this thread. on my TS-212P I hot unplugged the new drive that wasn't rebuilding, plugged it into my PC and deleted the volume. Then I hot plugged it into the QNAP NAS and the status changed from "degraded mode" to "Rebuilding".
florisks
First post

Post by florisks »

Hello all, here another twist of a solution I want to share , ofcourse of the same problem "Add drive 1 to the volume failed" on my (raid-5 degraded) QNap TS-559 Pro-II , I bumped into it accidentally :

- all above solutions didn't resolve the problem;
- before QNap personnel was granted Teamviewer access to my set-up , I wished I had a back-up made myself, so I did with shh access (written solutions found elsewhere here);
- I backupped all to ext2 formatted disks in the nas;
- I needed a few backup hdd's to back-up 8TB formatted directly on the /dev/sdza (there were troubles with fdisk creating 1-2-3TB partitions), at the last one I decided to reboot;

After that to my surprise, the nas decided it was finally time for rebuilding the raid-5... succesfully. And I don't think it had anything to do with my previous attempt only with WD disks whilst this last disk was a Hitachi.

Anyways, maybe this helps some of you : format ext2 the disk inside the failing bay without partitions, and reboot.

-Floris
steve_p
Starting out

Post by steve_p »

Same situation for me - with firmware 4.1.1. When I read this bit on the Storage Manager screen I thought I was in the clear:

Note that if you are going to install a hard drive (new or used) which has never been installed on the NAS before, the hard drive will be
formatted and partitioned automatically and all the disk data will be cleared.

I'd never used this new 2TB disk on the NAS, but I *had* used it on Windows. Once I followed the ol' slap and tickle prescribed here (delete the existing partition, or VOLUME in my case) and put the drive back in the NAS, now everyting irie, mon.
Steve Powell - Alabama, USA
Windows clients XP thru 10
QNAP TS-219P || two 2TB WD2001FASS disks RAID_1 || Firmware 4.1.1 build 20141003
smcgough
First post

Post by smcgough »

In my situation, Windows Disk Management was showing the drive as Unallocated with no partitions. However, I still got the 'Add drive 1 to the volume failed' error.

Fdisk was complaining about you must set cylinders. I couldn't get it to write out the partition. So I removed the drive (hot-swapped out) and plugged back into Windows machine.

I used a commercial partition manager (EaseUS) and it showed that there was a hidden partition on the drive. I removed it, hot-swapped it in, and the RAID started rebuilding. :D
Monkeybrain
First post

Post by Monkeybrain »

Got the same error today when swapping out a bad WD disk with a preformated Segate disk of same size.
Tried to hot-swap the drive and rebooted, but that did not work.

What I ended up with doing, was this:

SSH into the nas, then used parted to erase the partition on the new drive, then rebooted the nas from the GUI menu.
There's no need to remove the disk to mount it on an external machine.
Nas booted up and started rebuilding the array :DD

I did not create any new partition with parted, just erased the NTFS partition that was already present on the disk.
Remember to double check that you actualy erase the correct partition(s) on the correct disk, or you might end up destroying your entire array :shock:
MrVideo
Experience counts

Post by MrVideo »

Instead of using parted, do the following:

Code: Select all

device=sda
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/$device bs=512 count=1
Replace "sda" with the device that needs to be cleared. The whole partition table should be cleared, which is what "dd" does.

At this point, all you should have needed to do was pull the drive with power still on, wait for the NAS to verify that the drive has been pulled, and then put it back in.

Other forum members can verify this.
QTS MANUALS
Submit QNAP Support Ticket - QNAP Tutorials, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki - Product Support Status - Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2
Asking a question, include the following
(Thanks to Toxic17)
QNAP md_checker nasreport (release 20210309)
===============================
Model: TS-869L -- RAM: 3G -- FW: QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522 (used for data storage)
WD60EFRX-68L0BN1(x1)/68MYMN1(x7) Red HDDs -- RAID6: 8x6TB -- Cold spare: 1x6TB
Entware
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 2G -- FW: QTS 4.5.2 Build 20210202 (used as a video server)
WL3000GSA6472(x3) White label NAS HDDs -- RAID5: 3x3TB
Entware -- MyKodi 17.3 (default is Kodi 16)
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos | My 2019 N. Ireland Game of Thrones tour
revaaron

Post by revaaron »

I had this same exact issue. I was going from 5x3TB + 1x6TB to 3x3tb, 3x6TB trying to swapout my old 2010 qnap (from my drobo 2nd gen and 5n), swap in drives to my WHS. I guess while checking the drives from the drobo 2nd gen, I deleted the partition and must have init'd the drive.
http://www.howtogeek.com/215349/how-to- ... n-windows/

that worked. On the Qnap, I got:
Command action
a toggle a bootable flag
b edit bsd disklabel
c toggle the dos compatibility flag
d delete a partition
l list known partition types
m print this menu
n add a new partition
o create a new empty DOS partition table
p print the partition table
q quit without saving changes
s create a new empty Sun disklabel
t change a partition's system id
u change display/entry units
v verify the partition table
w write table to disk and exit
x extra functionality (experts only)

Command (m for help): d
Partition number (1-4): 1
You must set cylinders.
You can do this from the extra functions menu.

Command (m for help):
Bornhall
Starting out

Post by Bornhall »

Just wanted to add some kudos to this thread, it worked like a charm for us as well.

Situation: A degrading disk (well, only a SMART warning, but anyways - production environment) needed to be swapped out and the IT dude figured that since I had previous experience messing about with the QNAP it was up to me. So, picked an unused disk out of storage, pulled the degraded disk from bay 1 and mounted the new one to the caddy.

Swapped it in, and waited. The system picked it up, but the admin interface said "No disk" and no rebuilding of the raid started (RAID6 in a 6-bay QNAP btw). Thinking it was possible that the new disk itself was broken, I threw in the old one again. "No disk". WTH? Took the new disk and mounted it in our Mac Pro which had a free bay (and is just soooo easy to mount drives in - yeah, it's the old model ;)). Sure enough, the drive is detected but no volumes are mounted (NTFS volumes should mount, but read-only). Formatted the drive without problem, so back to the QNAP again.

Swapped out the degraded drive for the new one again, and finally it shows up in the admin interface (other than that, the drives were always detected by the QNAP, they popped up on the terminal monitor hooked up to the QNAP every time). Fine, finally it should start rebuilding! Off to do what I'm supposed to instead.

5 hours later, we get an alert. "Add drive 1 to volume failed" or some such. Gah...

Off to the forums, found this thread and kudos to schumaku in his second post in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=43370#p192830

Solution:
Ran the "fdisk /dev/sda" command in a terminal window, removed the partition that was on the drive (see his post), wrote the partition table back to the disk and waited for it to finish. Pulled the drive out of the bay, waited for the beep. Waited a little longer for good measure before I pushed it back in. It is now, finally, rebuilding the raid.

Big thanks to schumaku!
MrVideo
Experience counts

Post by MrVideo »

For future reference, the following is a quicker way in which to remove an HDD partition:

Code: Select all

device=sda
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/$device bs=512 count=1
Of course, the device gets changed to the one that needs to be cleared.

Also, the replacement for fdisk is parted.
QTS MANUALS
Submit QNAP Support Ticket - QNAP Tutorials, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki - Product Support Status - Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2
Asking a question, include the following
(Thanks to Toxic17)
QNAP md_checker nasreport (release 20210309)
Model: TS-869L -- RAM: 3G -- FW: QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522 (used for data storage)
WD60EFRX-68L0BN1(x1)/68MYMN1(x7) Red HDDs -- RAID6: 8x6TB -- Cold spare: 1x6TB
Entware
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 2G -- FW: QTS 4.5.2 Build 20210202 (used as a video server)
WL3000GSA6472(x3) White label NAS HDDs -- RAID5: 3x3TB
Entware -- MyKodi 17.3 (default is Kodi 16)
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos | My 2019 N. Ireland Game of Thrones tour

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”