Power down works fine, Power on doesn't

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Hansbird
New here

Power down works fine, Power on doesn't

Post by Hansbird »

I use a brandnew TS-219 P11 firmware 3.6.1, 3TByte seagate HDD's in RAID 1 mode.

I use a simple powermanagement schema:

- daily shutdown at 23:59
- daily restart at 18:00

The problem is that the unit correctly shuts down at 23:59 but never powers up again.

Any suggestions please?
clickright
Starting out

Re: Power down works fine, Power on doesn't

Post by clickright »

Rather than restart, select "Turn on the server" from System Administrator > Power Management. Should do what you're looking for!
Hansbird
New here

Post by Hansbird »

Update:

- QNAP advised to reload the firmware again to make sure that it was properly installed. After doing this I got the same result: power-down keeps working, power-up still doesn't.
- I tried "Turn on the server" as advised bij "clickright". Same result: power-down works, "turn on te server" gives no result (unit stays power-down).

Any further suggestions please?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

"Turn on the server" is the only setting that should turn the server on so that's the one to use.

You don't cut the power to the unit during the time it is down do you? I guess that could prevent the startup.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Hansbird
New here

Post by Hansbird »

To P3R: there is no power cut whene the unit is down. All my computer stuff is instralled on separate electrical groups.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Sounds like it could be a bug but I have no TS-219P II to verify. No UPS in place?

Maybe someone will get an idea if you show us a screenshot of your System Administration, Power Management page?
'
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Hansbird wrote:I use a brandnew TS-219 P11 firmware 3.6.1, 3TByte seagate HDD's in RAID 1 mode.

I use a simple powermanagement schema:

- daily shutdown at 23:59
- daily restart at 18:00

The problem is that the unit correctly shuts down at 23:59 but never powers up again.

Any suggestions please?
Perhaps you could simply enable the "Wake-On LAN" feature", and simply wake it up from elsewhere on your network, by getting another machine on your network to wake up your NAS at the appointed hour. (I used to do it from my Router (DD-WRT Router firmware installed), but I finally decided that the power requirements for QNAP NAS unit is so low, that I now simply leave my NAS on 24/7/365. My drives go to sleep properly, so I don't expect 24 hour operation to cause pre-mature HDD failure.

Shutting down my NAS "at night" wasn't saving me much money, and it was causing Torrent downloads to get screwed up. I now operate my own phpBB3 Forums system on my NAS as well, so now I need to leave it on 24/7 so people can access my Forums system. It only consumes 35W when in use, so I'm not really worried about it.

Good luck resolving this issue, it must be very frustrating.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
Hansbird
New here

Post by Hansbird »

to P3R: I don't use an UPS.

My settings are:

EuP Mode Config: Disable
Configure Wake on LAN: Enable
When the AC power resumes: Resume the server to the previous power-on or power-off status

And then follows the Schedule I provided earlier.

To Patrick: I think in pratice you're right; it won't save a year earlier retirement :-). The only thing is, I want to have the unit work properly.
sl1000
Experience counts

Post by sl1000 »

enable eup mode, powercycle the nas (really unplug for 10 secs from the wall outlet), let it boot, disable eup mode again, powercycle again. after that it should be working imho.
Try searching the perfect online manual, forum or the Wiki for answers before posting
### Retired developer ###
Hansbird
New here

Post by Hansbird »

Update:

- I was advised to try the new 3.7.0 firmware. This resulted in a complete invisibility off the NAS. Even the NMAP tool wasn't able to "see" the NAS any longer. I learned later on that the firmware for my model QNAP was not functioning properly. I completely reconfigured the NAS from scratch (Yes I had a 100% backup available).

- 3.7.1. came along. I upgraded the NAS to the newest level. Result: the same. The Unit powers down perfectly but never comes a live again.

- I'm now wainting for the final answer from QNAP support before I'm returning the NAS to the store and buy me a another NAS.
Hansbird
New here

Post by Hansbird »

Update: I'm using 2 x Seagate ST3000DM001 3 TByte HDD. The Disk is on the HCL.
Hansbird
New here

Post by Hansbird »

update:

@S|1000: I tried your suggestion. I didn't work out, Thx for your time.
sl1000
Experience counts

Post by sl1000 »

Then def. contact qnap support. Sorry it didn't work out
Try searching the perfect online manual, forum or the Wiki for answers before posting
### Retired developer ###
Hansbird
New here

Post by Hansbird »

Last Update:

QNAP support advises to bring THE unit to THE dealer for repair. We"ll see wat happens.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

You should ask for a replacement - well posible this is a hardware issue ... as there is dedicated hardware in place to control the scheduled power-up. As this has not worked from the begining, the device was broken from day one - so in most legislations, this gives you the right for a direct replacement.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”