TS-809 Pro RAID 6, 2 disks failed..

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
regmus10
New here

TS-809 Pro RAID 6, 2 disks failed..

Post by regmus10 »

Last week two of my disks failed, replacements are arriving today.
What would be the correct procedure in replacing these disks?
Do I replace the disks one by one or both simultaneously?
Please see this screenshot from the Volume management page
http://d.pr/i/BzWG
P3R
Guru

Re: TS-809 Pro RAID 6, 2 disks failed..

Post by P3R »

From the Qnap Hardware user manual:
1. Login the NAS and check the disk volume configuration in “Volume Management”.
2. The volume status should be “in degraded mode”.
3. Prepare a new hard drive to replace the failed one. The capacity of the new hard drive should be the same as or larger than the failed hard drive.
4. Unplug the failed drive from the NAS. Wait for about 20 seconds or until the server beeps twice.
5. Remove the failed drive from the drive tray.
6. Install the new hard drive on the drive tray. Insert it to the NAS.
7. The server should beep 1.5 seconds twice.
8. Check the volume status on the web administration page. The volume should be rebuilding.

Personally I would replace the disks on-by-one.

Unfortunately I couldn't look at your screenshot as I prefer not to click on short links for security reasons. Please consider to instead add it as an attached file in the forum or provide a proper url that can be examined before clicking.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

regmus10 wrote:

Last week two of my disks failed, replacements are arriving today.
What would be the correct procedure in replacing these disks?
Do I replace the disks one by one or both simultaneously?
Please see this screenshot from the Volume management page
http://d.pr/i/BzWG

If you enclose Image-URL's inside a [img][/img] pair they will display inline within the message.

Simply write it as: [img]image-URL[/img]. ( It will display the graphic for all to see).

Consider this: [img]http://www.sct-systems.com/catalog/images/QNAP-NAS.jpg[/img]

Unfortunately original message makes a bad example, because the original URL isn't for an image, (it is for a shortcut to an image), and the image is over 600 pixels high, so QNAP Community Forum wouldn't display it anyway. (Anyone that reads my posts will note that I include images regularly in my messages here using this construct).

The message editor in phpBB Forums software is actually quite powerful. (I run a phpBB3 Forums setup on my NAS).

Patrick.
Last edited by pwilson on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

My previous message mentioned: http://www.sct-systems.com/catalog/images/QNAP-NAS.jpg

By enclosing it as I described in my last message produces the following result:

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
regmus10
New here

Post by regmus10 »

Here is the image for those not willing to click the previous link (it's a link to Droplr screen capture service)

regmus10
New here

Post by regmus10 »

So, I replaced the failed disks with identical ones. One by one. Array did rebuild two times, after each disk.
All disks have SMART information set as "GOOD".
I did a "CHECK NOW"-check of the volume with no errors.

Still, the RAID 6 volume is in degraded mode. :(
On the RAID Management page it says "Please insert a drive of larger capacity and wait for the drive status to become Ready before executing this operation.". Nothing can be selected or done, everything is grayed out.

Any ideas?
regmus10
New here

Post by regmus10 »

I just noticed yesterday that disk 2, despite
  • being brand new
  • being the exact same model as the others AND the old one,
  • having smart status GOOD
  • being marked as ready
was NOT included in the "degraded" RAID array

So I yanked it out once again, waited for the sacred beeps and put it back in.
Array rebuilded overnight, and it still does not want to include disk 2 in the array which still is in degraded mode.. :cry: :cry: :cry:

So I rebooted the d*mn thing today, it is now rebuilding the array once again. I do not have high hopes for this. Hopefully I can pull the data out anyways.

Lessons learned so far:
  • RAID 6 does NOT offer protection for 2 disk failure.
  • WD2003FYYS is a super bad disk choice for QNAP despite being on the compatibility list.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

I'd recommend that you contact Qnap support for assistance.
'
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
regmus10
New here

Post by regmus10 »

P3R wrote:I'd recommend that you contact Qnap support for assistance.
'
I did this.
Meanwhile this ongoing RAID-problem has no end, it seems.
Now both bays that failed in the original post has failed again. :!: :!: :shock:
  • Disk 2 is "Smart GOOD" and has no bad blocks, yet the QNAP refuses to include it in the array
  • Disk 7 failed with "Read/Write error" despite being brand new
Awaiting instructions from QNAP Support, I cannot believe this unit just keeps on failing on me.

regmus10
New here

Post by regmus10 »

Anyone with experience from contacting Qnap support? Three days now and not a single word.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

In what region are you located?

Try to text chat on Sykpe: QNAPskype ...
borgeano
New here

Post by borgeano »

Hi regmus10,

Sorry to resuscitate such an "old" thread, but came across it when searching for RAID expansion issues.

I had a very similar issue to yours, where my TS-809 would keep reporting any drive that would be inserted in two particular bays as "bad", time and time again. I sent it in for repair twice, but it wasn't until I rolled back to a 3.5xx version of the firmware that the problems went away.

I was (and still am) using the exact same hard drive model as you mentioned in the post. It would appear as though the newer firmware had less tolerance for high access times (as these non-RAID drives are guilty of offering), so it would report them as "bad" when there was nothing wrong with them whatsoever.

Currently, the NAS is on fw version 3.5.2 Build 1126T. Hope this helps!
dulcifium
Been there, done that

Post by dulcifium »

1. Did the OP ever fix this issue?
2. borgeano - which was the non-working FW version?
QNAP TS-639 Pro (3.8.1 Build 20121205) | 6 x 3 TB (Toshiba DT01ACA300 firmware MX6OABB0) | 12 TB RAID-6
Both shared over single port GbE and wifi router to Linux, Android, Windows, macOS and NVIDIA Shield

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”