Help-TS 410 RAID 5 HDD fails-replaced->file system unmounted

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
StergiosT
New here

Help-TS 410 RAID 5 HDD fails-replaced->file system unmounted

Post by StergiosT »

Need you help guys, I got the dreadful email from my QNAP TS-410 (firmware 3.6.1 Build 0302T) for an HDD Failure. The Qnap said (also in the log files that the disk has failed and also removed -plugged out"

I am running a Raid 5 array, WD Green hard disks. The 3rd one had the "red light", so following the advice from http://web.qnap.com/pro_features_hotswap.asp I took the extra spare I keep and hot swapped the faulty one.

Raid 5 was in degraded mode, then after I added the spare HDD, it started rebuilding... So far so good...

Then:

[RAID5 Disk Volume: Drive 1 2 3 4] Error occurred while accessing Drive 4

[RAID5 Disk Volume: Drive 1 2 3 4] Error occurred while accessing the devices of the volume in degraded mode.

[RAID5 Disk Volume: Drive 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] Mount the file system read-only failure.

and now, in Volume Management I get "File System Unknown" and "Status Unmounted".

All HDD lights in the Qnap are Green, I got the red light flashing (like when it was rebuilding), so WHAT DO I DO?

Reboot? My precious data are lost? (5TB)

Whats the point of having a Raid 5, with a spare disk in the drawer, not with an "b-brand" machine, but with QNAP, and still suffer such failures and the possibility of losing the data? :(
I saw a similar post here (1st July , no answers yet), with a similar problem in a bigger array.... I am getting anxious

Please HELP?
P3R
Guru

Re: Help-TS 410 RAID 5 HDD fails-replaced->file system unmou

Post by P3R »

StergiosT wrote:I am running a Raid 5 array, WD Green hard disks.
WD discourages from the use of WD Green disks in NAS/RAID environments: WD Caviar Green Hard Drives are not recommended for and are not warranted for use in RAID environments utilizing Enterprise HBAs and/or expanders and in multi-bay chassis, as they are not designed for, nor tested in, these specific types of RAID applications.

They are also among the very few disk models specifically mentioned as not recommended on the Qnap disk compatibility list.
...and now, in Volume Management I get "File System Unknown" and "Status Unmounted".
To have the best chance of getting it fixed I would recommend that you don't do anything more yourself but contact Qnap support for assistance when they open.
Whats the point of having a Raid 5, with a spare disk in the drawer, not with an "b-brand" machine, but with QNAP, and still suffer such failures and the possibility of losing the data? :(
Well to begin with you are running non-recommended disks known to have issues in RAID-configurations...

Secondly, a RAID 5 can only protect from a single disk failure and my immediate guess is that you have multiple disks failing concurrently.

Last but not least, RAID is not backup! Anything can always go wrong so backups are always necessary, regardless of the cost of the equipment. Even much more expensive storage than Qnap fail and that's the reason everyone with experience always recommend a backup solution with any storage.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
StergiosT
New here

Post by StergiosT »

Hello P3R, thanks for the response, I also send an inquiry to Qnap as you suggested. I know that the WD Green drives were compatible, yet not recommended, but that was the best I could afford at the time. I already own a second NAS (6TB) which is already backed up in Ext HDD's (stored in a drawer), but I was in the process of getting together the cash to buy 6TB of storage to back up also this one. Since the other NAS is a WD, I though that this would fail first, so.... my money went there, but I seem to have lost that bet ....
I dont think there is another disk failing, what would be the chance to that? SMART analysis from QNAP TS-410 reported all other disks OK, expect the failed one (which also had a red light). The QNAP was used as a Media Server, so no heavy read-write processes (eg wrote a file, perhaps access it 2-3 times in one year, something like that). I even got a suggested EATON UPS to protect the setup :(

Any other suggestions are welcome, hope also QNAP answers my question also, they would help a dear retailer of their products wouldn't they ?
;-)
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

StergiosT wrote:Since the other NAS is a WD, I though that this would fail first, so.... my money went there, but I seem to have lost that bet ....
Don't give up yet. :wink:

I'm only speculating about what the problem may be as the error you reported isn't easily interpreted. It may be something else that is fixable, so give them a chance.
I dont think there is another disk failing, what would be the chance to that?
In fact it's pretty common that disks fail very close in time. Especially when they are bought together, because then they are usually produced close to each other, transported in the same way and when used in the same machine they are subjected to exactly the same usage and environment.

The strain during a rebuild can very well be the thing that tips the next one also over the edge.
SMART analysis from QNAP TS-410 reported all other disks OK...
SMART testing isn't always reliable in finding all possible errors. All SMART actions are done by the disk itself and it is kind of logical that a broken disk isn't always capable of diagnosing itself perfectly.

Good luck!
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”