RAID 5 to RAID 6 Migration

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Ph03n1x
Starting out

Re: RAID 5 to RAID 6 Migration

Post by Ph03n1x »

Hi There

After installing 4x 3TB drives it was configured as Raid 5 and afterwards I tink I chosen HDD4 as a spare can't really remember now, last night I tried it after taking aout the HDD4 it come up as in degraded mode and on the display said HDD4 unplugged. That is when I tried to change it to Raid 6 but everything was greyed out. I will have another look this evening after I return from work and see what is going on.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

As noted multiple times:
1/ Cannot migrate if you have more than 3 drives in RAID 5
2/ You must remove the hotspare before migration/expansion. See the fine manual for the proper procedure to remove a hotspare.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Ph03n1x wrote:Hi There

After installing 4x 3TB drives it was configured as Raid 5 and afterwards I tink I chosen HDD4 as a spare can't really remember now, last night I tried it after taking aout the HDD4 it come up as in degraded mode and on the display said HDD4 unplugged. That is when I tried to change it to Raid 6 but everything was greyed out. I will have another look this evening after I return from work and see what is going on.
There is no way to migrate a RAID5 array with more than 3 drives to RAID6, except to "wipe" and "start from scratch". This is clearly identified in the fine manual. (I'd quote the manual for you, but you neglected to tell us which version of the Firmware you are using).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
Ph03n1x
Starting out

Post by Ph03n1x »

I will take a look this evening if I need to start from scratch so be it, the firmware version is 4.0.1 I was on 4.0.2 but down graded as there are bugs in 4.0.2.

I had a look at the manual as suggested yesterday but still either I missed something out or just won't do it; I can start from scratch as I have all data backed up on another NAS :)
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Ph03n1x wrote:I will take a look this evening if I need to start from scratch so be it, the firmware version is 4.0.1 I was on 4.0.2 but down graded as there are bugs in 4.0.2.

I had a look at the manual as suggested yesterday but still either I missed something out or just won't do it; I can start from scratch as I have all data backed up on another NAS :)
Perhaps we could provide better assistance if you provided accurate information about your configuration. Please review article: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

You can "harvest" much of this information requested by logging into your NAS via SSH, (login as "admin"), and typing the following commands:

Code: Select all

df -h
echo "NAS Model: $(getcfg system model)"
echo "Firmware Version: $(getcfg system version)"
echo "HDD1: $(hdparm -i /dev/sda 2>/dev/null | grep Model)"
echo "HDD2: $(hdparm -i /dev/sdb 2>/dev/null | grep Model)"
echo "HDD3: $(hdparm -i /dev/sdc 2>/dev/null | grep Model)"
echo "HDD4: $(hdparm -i /dev/sdd 2>/dev/null | grep Model)"
cat /proc/mdstat

Please cut&paste these commands to your SSH session, and please cut&paste the output of these commands back to this message thread.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

thomasvs
Starting out

Post by thomasvs »

Don wrote:You can only migrate from raid 5 to raid 6 from a 3 disk raid 5. Not sure why but that is the way it is. Only way to do it now is to start over from scratch.
Woah, really?? I wish I had read this before I bought a new TS-870 Pro this week!

Does anyone know for the reason for this limitation? My four year old readynas was able to do this just fine a few years ago, and there is no underlying limitation in the linux kernel or RAID system that would impose this limitation. Why would QNAP deliberately cripple one of the most obvious migration paths?

I specifically bought the 8 bay model so I could do 1 redundant disk per set of 4, which seems like an excellent tradeoff. But due to this weird limitation, I have to start off with RAID-6 now and lose 33% of my capacity as planned just so I can migrate later.

Why, QNAP? :twisted:
holger_kuehn
Easy as a breeze

Post by holger_kuehn »

thomasvs wrote:
Don wrote:You can only migrate from raid 5 to raid 6 from a 3 disk raid 5. Not sure why but that is the way it is. Only way to do it now is to start over from scratch.
Well, I'd say this seems to be wrong, as I'm doing this right now. Here is the configuration for my TS 869L in time:

2 HDDs, RAID 1 - migrated to
7 HDDs, RAID 5 - right now migrating to
8 HDDs, RAID 6

Firmware is the latest Beta 4.1

Chears

PS: Just thinking, if this statement was posted in context of a 4-bay device, it's valid ...., but definatly not for 5 and more drives.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

holger_kuehn wrote:
thomasvs wrote:
Well, I'd say this seems to be wrong, as I'm doing this right now. Here is the configuration for my TS 869L in time:

2 HDDs, RAID 1 - migrated to
7 HDDs, RAID 5 - right now migrating to
8 HDDs, RAID 6

Firmware is the latest Beta 4.1

Chears

PS: Just thinking, if this statement was posted in context of a 4-bay device, it's valid ...., but definatly not for 5 and more drives.
Perhaps the 4.1 Beta removes that restriction finally. The "Home" version of QNAP Turbo NAS User Manual v4.1 still makes that same claim as previously, however it does not seem to be listed in the "SMB" version of the QNAP Turbo NAS User Manual v4.1 with the new Storage Pools.

Your TS-869 uses the SMB version, so as stated above, perhaps this restriction is now gone for NAS devices capable of using the new Storage Pools. Thanks for sharing, this potentially sounds like great news if you are correct about this, which you probably are.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

holger_kuehn
Easy as a breeze

Post by holger_kuehn »

I'll let you know, when it's complete. Currently it's working at about 25% ....

I didn't noticed there had been two versions of 4.1, will take a look tomorrow.
holger_kuehn
Easy as a breeze

Post by holger_kuehn »

So, ... kind of late repley, but it took an awfully long to complete.

But the extension worked just like a charm to me. As pwilson mentioned this limitation to a 3-disk-RAID 5 extention seems to be no longer valid with the new storage pools ....
NAS (production): TS-1635AX FW: QTS 5.1.4.2596 build 20231128
NAS (backup): TS-1635AX FW: QTS 5.1.4.2596 build 20231128
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 2TB Samsung Evo 860 M.2-Sata
Data (QTier): [RAID-6] 4 x 4TB Samsung 870 QVO Sata
Data (HDD): [RAID-6] 7 x 18TB Exos
RAM: 8 GB (QNAP shipped)
UPS: CyberPower CP900EPFCLCD
BACKUP: 10x4TB WD Red using a USB 3.0 Dock
Usage: SMB with rclone (encrypted)

NAS: TS-873U-RP FW: QTS 5.1.4.2596 build 20231128
Data (SSD): [RAID-10] 4 x 1TB Samsung Evo 860 Sata
RAM: 8 GB (QNAP shipped)
UPS: CyberPower PR2200ELCDRT2U
BACKUP: 4TB Synology DS214 FW: DSM 7.0.41890
Usage: SMB, Backup Domain Controller
StarterGUY
Starting out

Post by StarterGUY »

Guys can anyone point me how to do the raid 5 to raid 6 migration without losing any data. I have a 3 disk raid 5 and bought 2 more HDD to make the raid 6. Thanks!
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

StarterGUY wrote:Guys can anyone point me how to do the raid 5 to raid 6 migration without losing any data. I have a 3 disk raid 5 and bought 2 more HDD to make the raid 6. Thanks!
Read the manual. It is explained in there.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
StarterGUY
Starting out

Post by StarterGUY »

Don wrote:
StarterGUY wrote:Guys can anyone point me how to do the raid 5 to raid 6 migration without losing any data. I have a 3 disk raid 5 and bought 2 more HDD to make the raid 6. Thanks!
Read the manual. It is explained in there.
Im kind of dumb... Read it but Don't understand If I can do it without any further issue. I have a 670 and have 3 disk installed. So I will install 3 more. After that just do the migrate?
Feybio
Starting out

Post by Feybio »

Someone can conferm? can i migrate from Raid5 (more than 3 disks) to Raid6?

Thank you
Barebone : Shuttle XPC SZ170R8 v2 CPU: Intel i5 6600k Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance SSD: Samsung 960 EVO M2 HDD: WD Green 3TB VGA: GeForce GTX 1080 FE Monitor: DELL 27" FullHD
HTPC : CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Mobo: Gigabyte X58-UD3R Ram: 6GB OCZ 1600 SSD: Intel X25-M 160GB HDD: WD Green 2TB VGA: Sapphire HD 6570 Fanless TV: Panasonic Plasma 50TV30

NAS 1 : TVS-EC1080 E3 8GB - 4.3.4 - 6 x 6TB Western Digital WD60EFRX (RAID 6)
NAS 2 : TS-251+ 8GB - 4.3.4 - 2 x 2TB Western Digital WD20EFRX (RAID 1)
NAS 3 : TS-239 Pro II 2GB - 4.2.6 - 2 x 2TB Samsung HD203WI (RAID 1)
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Try it. If the option appears on the gui then you can do it. If it doesn't then you can't.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”