System Health Warning - The Volume is almost full

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Guapo81
Know my way around

System Health Warning - The Volume is almost full

Post by Guapo81 »

Hi,

On my TS-459 PROII i'm getting a warning message under system health, saying the volume is nearly full, please replace the drives by larger ones or buy a NAS with more bays.
Total volume size is 5479 GB and free space is 679 GB.

In my opinion i'm not exactly short on space yet and strangly enough this message appeared after I replaced a failed drive by a new one, without changing anything in the data size on the NAS.
Anyone any idea why I'm now getting this message? Or maybe where I can change the setting for this message?
QNAP TS-h886-64G 2x Samsung 970PRO NVMe SSD (RAID1, System), 2x Samsung 860 PRO SSD (RAID1, VM) 4x Seagate EXOS X16 16TB (RAID5, Data) - FW: QuTS-hero
QNAP TVS-682-i3-32G 4x HGST HUH728060ALN600 (RAID5, Backup) - FW: QTS
QNAP TVS-463 4x Seagate ST2000VN000 (RAID5, Surveillance, Backup) - FW: QTS
Former units: TS-469Pro, TS-459ProII, TS-269Pro, Qgenie
Guapo81
Know my way around

Re: System Health Warning - The Volume is almost full

Post by Guapo81 »

Edit - Seems that this topic is more or less being handled in the following Topic;

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=20286
QNAP TS-h886-64G 2x Samsung 970PRO NVMe SSD (RAID1, System), 2x Samsung 860 PRO SSD (RAID1, VM) 4x Seagate EXOS X16 16TB (RAID5, Data) - FW: QuTS-hero
swisswiss
First post

Post by swisswiss »

i don't think those threads have much in common.

for me this is still an issue.
at what percentage does the warning message appear? and how can i change it.

i for example still have over 200GB free and this warning annoys me...
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

As far as I know there is no user configurable setting for the disk space warning level.

I add storage before reaching 15% free space and have never seen the message so it is probably set at something like 10-15%.

With the insanely large volumes common today, there is probably need for a clever adaptive algorithm instead of a fixed level.

With a user configurable level, most home users would set it too low and frequently run into the problems that was very common a few years back.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

If you are talking about the volume alert threshold the default is 80% full and can be changed.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

@storageman: I'm sure the people asking wouldn't mind if you hinted on where the feature could be found.

If it is in the SMB firmware, that isn't available on the OPs TS-459 Pro II.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Sorry, my mistake, not on this SMB model.
forkless
Experience counts

Post by forkless »

Yes it's kind of ridiculous. I have an older TS-809 Pro model, that starts complaining below 2Terabyte... I mean, really. *rolls eyes* I know this is probably not high on QNAPS priority list but it would be nice if this could get fixed like on the SMB+ models where there is simply a setting for the threshold.
Guapo81
Know my way around

Post by Guapo81 »

Updated to QTS 4.1.3 B20150408.
On my TS-469PRO it was giving a warning that the volume was almost full with 1.7 TB of free space.
The warning has now disappeared after the update, so looks like this has changed.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Guapo81 wrote:Hi,

On my TS-459 PROII i'm getting a warning message under system health, saying the volume is nearly full, please replace the drives by larger ones or buy a NAS with more bays.
Total volume size is 5479 GB and free space is 679 GB.

In my opinion i'm not exactly short on space yet and strangly enough this message appeared after I replaced a failed drive by a new one, without changing anything in the data size on the NAS.
Anyone any idea why I'm now getting this message? Or maybe where I can change the setting for this message?
You are getting this message because your array is Full. When it becomes completely full this will lead to file corruption etc, resulting in complete failure. The NAS warns you when it is getting close to full, so that you can correct this situation before catastrophic volume failure occurs. Generally it is not a good idea to fill any volume more than 90-95% under Windows, OS X, or Linux.

You can change the "threshold" for this warning if you want, but the real solution would be to upgrade your drives to larger ones as recommended. Check out the instructions for Expanding Capacity (Online RAID Capacity Expansion) as documented in the fine manual.

If you swap out your existing 2TB drives for 3TB drives, it will provide 8.1TB of storage, which will alleviate the problem, until you fill up this 8.1TB, at which point you can do it again to 4TB drives for 10.8TB of storage. The cost difference between 3TB and 4TB drives is small, so you might want to go straight to 4TB drives.

If you aren't adding a lot of data to your NAS, you can probably delay this upgrade for months, which will provide you with plenty of time to procure larger drives. (It isn't cheap to purchase 4 drives, so you may need months to save the funds required for such an upgrade). I replace my drives here every 3 years whether they have failed or not. This has a couple of advantages: firstly, my drives are always under warranty, and secondly I can re-sell my old drives, or use them for my Backups. (Used "working" drives have far higher re-sale value than "dead" ones, and yes people are willing to purchase used drives, I personally wouldn't, but some people do :DD).

Keep monitoring your drive usage, to ensure that it never completely fills, and upgrade your drives as finances permit.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

pwilson wrote:You can change the "threshold" for this warning if you want...
Here we go again, please explain where in the "Home" firmware of a TS-459 Pro II one can do that. I'm interested also, since I have the same model as the OP.

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

The only adjustable volume level with is the "light signal" on System Settings -> Hardware -> General.

Not aware of any other control on this product/firmware line, too.
forkless
Experience counts

Post by forkless »

pwilson wrote:You are getting this message because your array is Full. When it becomes completely full this will lead to file corruption etc, resulting in complete failure. The NAS warns you when it is getting close to full, so that you can correct this situation before catastrophic volume failure occurs. Generally it is not a good idea to fill any volume more than 90-95% under Windows, OS X, or Linux.

You can change the "threshold" for this warning if you want, but the real solution would be to upgrade your drives to larger ones as recommended. Check out the instructions for Expanding Capacity (Online RAID Capacity Expansion) as documented in the fine manual.
I would have to respectfully disagree. This rationale would have held up maybe 5 years ago (and on 1 and 2-bay devices) where less than 15% free volume space might be considered unhealthy (and even that is heavily depending on the size of the disks), however in today's day and age and for those with larger enclosures a 10% threshold is ridiculous.

Upgrading your drives is not a solution, it is however good for the pockets of hard-disk manufacturers. :lol:

The GUI/NAS system health Warning should be connected/relating to the buzzer/flashing display status. It makes more sense. I really don't want to see a warning on my (Q'Center or NAS) console before there is actually something remotely to a real volume health problem and not a fictional one.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”