TS 879 Pro in Degraded Mode still after replacing HDD

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
v6transplant
New here

TS 879 Pro in Degraded Mode still after replacing HDD

Post by v6transplant »

Hello,

I have a TS879 Pro with 8 4GB WD4000F9YZ (Se) QNAP approved drives in RAID10 mode. I had drive #2 fail after 4 months, so I have replaced it with a brand new identical drive, but the device is still in degraded mode. Where in the UI can I initiate a rebuild of the array?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TeeDub
Getting the hang of things

Re: TS 879 Pro in Degraded Mode still after replacing HDD

Post by TeeDub »

Hello

It should have happened automatically. It will show degraded mode during the rebuild process and will not show on line until completed This will take some time. How long have you waited for the rebuild process to complete?

Cheers

TW
TS-421
Version 4.0.2
4x3TB WD Reds RAID 5
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

v6transplant wrote:Hello,

I have a TS879 Pro with 8 4GB WD4000F9YZ (Se) QNAP approved drives in RAID10 mode. I had drive #2 fail after 4 months, so I have replaced it with a brand new identical drive, but the device is still in degraded mode. Where in the UI can I initiate a rebuild of the array?
Did you "Hot-Swap" it? If you powered down to replace the drive, then this is the root of the problem.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
v6transplant
New here

Post by v6transplant »

Hello,

I has been up and running for more than 48 hours. I powered down the QNAP and swapped the drive. I have rebooted it once after the first day on the replaced drive; hoping it would kick it into rebuild mode. My firmware version is 4.0.5. Thanks for your help.
TeeDub
Getting the hang of things

Post by TeeDub »

v6transplant wrote:Hello,

I has been up and running for more than 48 hours. I powered down the QNAP and swapped the drive. I have rebooted it once after the first day on the replaced drive; hoping it would kick it into rebuild mode. My firmware version is 4.0.5. Thanks for your help.
Ah OK. As Pwilson says, you can hot swap this drive. No need to power down unit. I would suggest, while the unit is running, pull the drive. Wait a minute and then plug it back in. The NAS should detect the new drive and start the rebuild. You do have a current and verified backup correct?

Cheers

TW
TS-421
Version 4.0.2
4x3TB WD Reds RAID 5
v6transplant
New here

Post by v6transplant »

Guys,

So I removed the new drive, put the failed one back in. The drive comes up with a write error, but the QNAP tries to rebuild. While the QNAP triggered in rebuild mode, and put the new drive back in. Here is the log file, it appears to be in a loop, and skips the rebuild process.

I am currently backing up to another remote drive.

Thanks for your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

v6transplant wrote:Guys,

So I removed the new drive, put the failed one back in. The drive comes up with a write error, but the QNAP tries to rebuild. While the QNAP triggered in rebuild mode, and put the new drive back in. Here is the log file, it appears to be in a loop, and skips the rebuild process.

I am currently backing up to another remote drive.

Thanks for your help.
Try wiping the partition table on replacement Drive 2, and retry.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”