TS239Pro II mirror still degraded mode

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
77shu77
New here

TS239Pro II mirror still degraded mode

Post by 77shu77 »

My raid is still in degraded mode.

I popped one of the drives out and then replaced it another drive but it wont do anything.
I placed the original drive back in and it still wont do anything.

I've tried:
Formatting the drive..
Scanning for bad blocks and FS checking on both drives.
Popping the out and in online and offline.
Updating firmware to 4.0.5.. did the popping out and in again online.

The drives should be supported both are identical as I bought them the same time: Seagate ST32000542 AS CC34 2Tb
Nothing seems to be working. It's a bit irritating as it's supposed to be easy; I dont want to have to ssh in and hack around.

What should I do next?
pwilson
Guru

Re: TS239Pro II mirror still degraded mode

Post by pwilson »

77shu77 wrote:My raid is still in degraded mode.

I popped one of the drives out and then replaced it another drive but it wont do anything.
I placed the original drive back in and it still wont do anything.

I've tried:
Formatting the drive..
Scanning for bad blocks and FS checking on both drives.
Popping the out and in online and offline.
Updating firmware to 4.0.5.. did the popping out and in again online.

The drives should be supported both are identical as I bought them the same time: Seagate ST32000542 AS CC34 2Tb
Nothing seems to be working. It's a bit irritating as it's supposed to be easy; I dont want to have to ssh in and hack around.

What should I do next?
Due to your reluctance to even try basic troubleshooting via SSH, you should submit a ticket with the QNAP Helpdesk for further assistance.

You did "Hot-Swap" the drive right? If you cold swapped it, then that is probably the issue.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
77shu77
New here

Post by 77shu77 »

Ticket opened.

Initially i cold swapped the drives. Just a habit from shutting down when I can and hot swapping when I can't. I've had bad experiences with things breaking while hotswapping.

One of the reasons why I dont like using ssh is it usually means voiding a warranty.. I've recommended QNAP devices to people that wanted a systems that worked without too much command line interaction. Which is one of the reasons why I would prefer a solution that is user friendly. Asking a client to ssh to the device and hacking away is not an ideal way to support my customers.

This is supposed to be a primary function of the device, storage and resilience / redundancy; I would assumed it would have been fleshed out before adding superfluous systems such as media center. If i had wanted to need to use ssh to rebuild a raid I would have used a Linux server instead of buying a dedicated device.

So.... Long story short.. Is there anything else I can try before I have to go and manually hack this thing to pieces.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

77shu77 wrote:Ticket opened.

Initially i cold swapped the drives. Just a habit from shutting down when I can and hot swapping when I can't. I've had bad experiences with things breaking while hotswapping.

One of the reasons why I dont like using ssh is it usually means voiding a warranty.. I've recommended QNAP devices to people that wanted a systems that worked without too much command line interaction. Which is one of the reasons why I would prefer a solution that is user friendly. Asking a client to ssh to the device and hacking away is not an ideal way to support my customers.

This is supposed to be a primary function of the device, storage and resilience / redundancy; I would assumed it would have been fleshed out before adding superfluous systems such as media center. If i had wanted to need to use ssh to rebuild a raid I would have used a Linux server instead of buying a dedicated device.

So.... Long story short.. Is there anything else I can try before I have to go and manually hack this thing to pieces.
You could simply try again. Eject the drive, wait for the beep, and then re-insert (Hot-Plug) it. (No SSH required for this).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

77shu77
New here

Post by 77shu77 »

Issue resolved. Just updating so others in a similar predicament can get a step in the right direction.

I must say that the official QNAP support team is quick to respond and resolve the matter.

I'm a bit disheartened that we did need to plug the drive into another device to remove partitions on the "new" drive and then ssh in and update the raidtab file manually:(

QNAP really needs to update the firmware to be able to fix things without having to hack away because when I did the drive swapping there was never any power outage or processes aborted midway. Or at least have a clear process flow in the UI.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

77shu77 wrote:Issue resolved. Just updating so others in a similar predicament can get a step in the right direction.

I must say that the official QNAP support team is quick to respond and resolve the matter.

I'm a bit disheartened that we did need to plug the drive into another device to remove partitions on the "new" drive and then ssh in and update the raidtab file manually:(

QNAP really needs to update the firmware to be able to fix things without having to hack away because when I did the drive swapping there was never any power outage or processes aborted midway. Or at least have a clear process flow in the UI.
None of that would have been necessary if you'd "Hot swapped" the drive in the first place.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

77shu77
New here

Post by 77shu77 »

I have no idea how you can sell a product that is primarily a data storage and RAID device that breaks when you cold swap a drive........
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

77shu77 wrote:I have no idea how you can sell a product that is primarily a data storage and RAID device that breaks when you cold swap a drive........
When you don't follow the documentation, it doesn't work as documented. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Check out QNAP Tutorial: Hot-swapping the hard drives when the RAID crashes

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

77shu77 wrote:Initially i cold swapped the drives. Just a habit from shutting down when I can and hot swapping when I can't.
Yes, some firmware seems to tend using a new HDD as a single HDD volume, instead of re-adding it to an existing degraded RAID.
77shu77 wrote:I have no idea how you can sell a product ...
We don't sell anything here - this is a QNAP customer community.
77shu77 wrote:One of the reasons why I dont like using ssh is it usually means voiding a warranty..
This is from the land of myths. Or a message shown by a different NAS maker on enabling root access I guess.
77shu77 wrote:I'm a bit disheartened that we did need to plug the drive into another device to remove partitions on the "new" drive and then ssh in and update the raidtab file manually:(
More than strange - very easy to erase the HDD partition table inside of the NAS ... using shell access of course. The change of the file ... see first part above.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”