Raid 5 on 269L

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
vescio
Starting out

Raid 5 on 269L

Post by vescio »

I'm coming from using Windows Home Server to using QNAP. I've installed 2x 2TB in the QNAP and also have 5x 2TB in a Sans Digital enclosure connected via eSATA.

Can I create one storage pool using RAID 5 (or RAID 0 / JBOD if it's my only option)

The only details I can find regarding using external drives is that they're "For backup use only" and cannot seem to find how I can expand my storage space with them.
If that is really the case I guess I'll need to upgrade to 2x 4TB for my QNAP but I still feel un-safe by not having RAID 5 and wasting all my drives.

Sorry if the topic's already been covered, I searched as best I could before posting.
schumaku
Guru

Re: Raid 5 on 269L

Post by schumaku »

Except of QNAP's own expansion boxes (REXP [SAS] resp. UX [USB 3.0], there is no support for creating RAID on external volumes.
vescio
Starting out

Post by vescio »

What about extending my volume / storage pool. (Using JBOD)

Essentially the issue i'm trying to thwart is that when I open my shares on another device, I don't want all the drives visible and just want to be able to "drag & drop" new data without worrying about which drive it actually belongs to (i.e. JBOD)
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

No. See schumaku's answer above and replace RAID with JBOD.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
vescio
Starting out

Post by vescio »

Let me beat this one to a pulp then.

Will the QNAP automatically Load balance the external drives when I'm adding content to it or will I need to specifically add media onto the external drive of my choice.

Will the Media management software pick it up and allow me to search all of my media (films for example) or will I (once again) need to go and look through them, drive by drive
Model: TVS-673 8GB RAM FW: 5.1.1.2491
Disks: [RAID 5] 6 x 10TB WD RED Total Capacity: 44.82TB
Apps: Plex, Sonarr, Radarr, NZBGet

Daily Driver: Mac Mini 2018
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

vescio wrote:Will the QNAP automatically Load balance the external drives when I'm adding content to it ...
We have no idea on how your external box is configured, or how it works. Formally, the NAS does not support most multi-drive expansion boxes, eSATA multipliers or the like. I don't understand "load balance" in this context, especially when considering these are many 3 or 6 Gb/s SATA disks shared on a single eSATA interface providing about the same bandwidth.
vescio wrote:...or will I need to specifically add media onto the external drive of my choice.
Again, no idea on how your enclosure is configured, i.e. if it has any kind of stripe/JBOD/RAID controller on board, and how it shows up.
vescio wrote:Will the Media management software pick it up and allow me to search all of my media (films for example) or will I (once again) need to go and look through them, drive by drive
Primary storage is NAS internal, external devices are primarily supported for backup purposes only.

Starting from QTS 4.1 (release candidate is out) you can deploy volume labels to the external (physical resp. logical) disk, so these will get a unique and always the same shared folder name, certainly with the ext4 file system, so the same shared folder does point to the same external volume. I have not checked if the Media Library does pick-up shared folders on third-party external volumes.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”