TS-212-E Standard Volume to RAID-1 migration failed

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
phantasis
New here

TS-212-E Standard Volume to RAID-1 migration failed

Post by phantasis »

Hello,

I have a TS-212-E that I initially installed with a 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001. I installed an additional ST3000DM001 and attempted to migrate to RAID 1 using both 4.0.5 and 4.0.7. Both failed to migrate. If I do a cat /proc/mdstat after the failure I see that the RAID devices were created for all but the largest RAID device where all data would belong. The cp command runs for quite a few hours and spontaneously fails somewhere along the way.

What is going on?

It seems that the migration process is to create a new MD device with a device missing. After the device is created it will copy the standard device to the new RAID 1 device. I have manually done those steps and the copy is running. Since I am running it manually I assume it will finish. How can I complete the migration manually?
Last edited by phantasis on Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
pwilson
Guru

Re: TS-212-E no RAID to RAID-1 migration failed

Post by pwilson »

phantasis wrote:Hello,

I have a TS-212-E that I initially installed with a 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001. I installed an additional ST3000DM001 and attempted to migrate to RAID 1 using both 4.0.5 and 4.0.7. Both failed to migrate. If I do a cat /proc/mdstat after the failure I see that the RAID devices were created for all but the largest RAID device where all data would belong. The cp command runs for quite a few hours and spontaneously fails somewhere along the way.

What is going on?

It seems that the migration process is to create a new MD device with a device missing. After the device is created it will copy the standard device to the new RAID 1 device. I have manually done those steps and the copy is running. Since I am running it manually I assume it will finish. How can I complete the migration manually?
Perhaps one of these messages will shed some light on this issue for you. .

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
phantasis
New here

Post by phantasis »

Based on your response are you indicating that this is a drive issue?
Last edited by phantasis on Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

phantasis wrote:Based on your response are you indicating that this is a drive issue?
I am suggesting it is a Drive Choice issue. Lousy drive choice = predictable outcome.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

phantasis
New here

Post by phantasis »

If you don't have any helpful tips or insight please increase your post count elsewhere. I am looking for an answer on how to accomplish the online RAID 1 migration manually since the automated method doesn't appear to be working.
Last edited by phantasis on Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

phantasis wrote:If you don't have any helpful tips or insight please increase your post count elsewhere. I am looking for an answer on how to accomplish the online RAID 1 migration manually since the automated method doesn't appear to be working.
Replacing your garbage drives is the only "advice" I can offer. If you don't find this advice to be useful, then please simply ignore the advice.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

phantasis
New here

Post by phantasis »

All drives are garbage hence why I am looking to get to a RAID 1 configuration. Besides, these drives are "Recommended" per QNAP for this model.
Last edited by phantasis on Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

phantasis wrote:All drives are garbage hence why I am looking to get to a RAID 1 configuration. Besides, these drives are "Recommended" per QNAP for this model.
So check out what Google or the 2100 results on Seagate.com say about them. They are not suitable for RAID use. They are Desktop drives.

I haven't asked you to believe my opinion of these horrible drives. I have provided several URL's that share my opinion. I have no idea why QNAP removed these horrible drives from the non-recommended list on ARM-based models. There drives are as reliable today as they have always been (when used in RAID).

Anyway, I'm not here to be miserable. Either heed my advice, or don't: Your choice. Your data, etc....
I really have nothing more to add. These are horrible drives, and many QNAP Community members have had poor experiences with them on many different QNAP models. Did you read any of the QNAP Forum messages I referred you to in my first reply in the thread?

I have personal experience with the related ST2000DM001 model. I lost 5.4TB of data because of them. Hopefully your experience will be different.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

phantasis
New here

Post by phantasis »

pwilson wrote:
phantasis wrote:All drives are garbage hence why I am looking to get to a RAID 1 configuration. Besides, these drives are "Recommended" per QNAP for this model.
I really have nothing more to add.
You never really had anything to add.
phantasis
New here

Post by phantasis »

phantasis wrote:Hello,

What is going on?

Let me attempt to get this thread (and hopefully Patrick) back on track. Assume that the hardware is fine or I am accepting of the risk of using the hardware. How do I finish the manual MD RAID 1 setup. So far the QNAP has created RAID 1 partitions for all the "system" partitions in previous "failed" attempts. I created the data MD RAID 1 partition on the "new" device, mounted it and copied all of the data from the "old" device to the new one (using cp -a). What do I do next?
phantasis
New here

Re: TS-212-E Standard Volume to RAID-1 migration failed

Post by phantasis »

Update:

This is what I had to do. After the cp -a finished I had to get the "old" partition under the RAID 1 array.

First, stop all services by issuing /etc/init.d/services.sh stop

The partition was mounted to /share/HDA_DATA. I had to make sure nothing was open on that share so I issued:

lsof | grep /share/HDA_DATA*

And killed any process with open files on that mount. Then I unmounted the file system:

umount /dev/sda3

Once unmounted I was able to add it to the RAID 1 set:

mdadm --manage /dev/md1 -a /dev/sda3

Once I issue that command the RAID array began rebuilding.

mdadm --detail /dev/md1
/dev/md1:
Version : 01.00.03
Creation Time : Tue Apr 22 06:56:52 2014
Raid Level : raid1
Array Size : 2928697556 (2793.02 GiB 2998.99 GB)
Used Dev Size : 2928697556 (2793.02 GiB 2998.99 GB)
Raid Devices : 2
Total Devices : 2
Preferred Minor : 1
Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Tue Apr 22 22:58:36 2014
State : clean, degraded, recovering
Active Devices : 1
Working Devices : 2
Failed Devices : 0
Spare Devices : 1

Rebuild Status : 0% complete

Name : 1
UUID : 61bbf848:2d677142:0245aade:d703235e
Events : 15878

Number Major Minor RaidDevice State
0 8 19 0 active sync /dev/sdb3
2 8 3 1 spare rebuilding /dev/sda3

cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
md1 : active raid1 sda3[2] sdb3[0]
2928697556 blocks super 1.0 [2/1] [U_]
[>....................] recovery = 0.2% (7714816/2928697556) finish=305.8min speed=159176K/sec

md2 : active raid1 sdb2[1] sda2[0]
530048 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md13 : active raid1 sda4[0] sdb4[1]
458880 blocks [2/2] [UU]
bitmap: 0/57 pages [0KB], 4KB chunk

md9 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdb1[1]
530048 blocks [2/2] [UU]
bitmap: 0/65 pages [0KB], 4KB chunk

unused devices: <none>

Once it completes I will reboot. There may be more configuration changes required to make the QNAP aware. I will update once I have those details.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”