Migrate From 1 Bay to 2 Bay NAS

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
chronus
New here

Migrate From 1 Bay to 2 Bay NAS

Post by chronus »

Hey everyone,

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

I currently have a Single Bay TS-110 (1.5TB Drive Installed) which looking back was a silly purchase because I can't do RAID for redundancy.

My question is what is the best process for migrating from a 1 Drive QNap NAS to a 2 Drive QNap NAS.

Is there a migration feature built or is there a better way to do it?

Any input would be welcome.

Thanks!
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Re: Migrate From 1 Bay to 2 Bay NAS

Post by doktornotor »

chronus wrote: Is there a migration feature built or is there a better way to do it?
Kindly review Migrating from Old NAS and Online RAID Level Migration sections of the fine manual :idea: :!:
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

-> Migrating from Old NAS
-> RAID Management -> Online RAID Migration (n/a on TS-210/TS-212)
chronus
New here

Post by chronus »

Sorry, I should probably explain my question more. Those documents could use a bit more detail...

My Question:
So I can buy a two drive NAS, take out the 1 drive from my TS-110 and install it in the 2 drive NAS with a second Drive.

Then boot up the NAS and tell it to do RAID 1?

I want to know that I can do this without wiping out all of the date from my single drive NAS.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

Step 1: System migration
Step 2: RAID migration

Not sure what further expansion this needs.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Yey.....tow steps
- move the HDD to the new NAS into slot #1 and follow the migration process, and then
- follow the Online RAID Migration process for adding another HDD and migrate from single HD to RAID1.
chronus
New here

Post by chronus »

"Not sure what further expansion this needs."

Sorry, wasn't trying to be difficult.

My concern was installing my current drive from the old NAS in a new 2 bay model with a second blank drive and wiping out my existing data when building the RAID 1. Kind of new to this so I wanted to make sure I wouldn't lose my data.

I figured that a lot of people need to move from a single drive to dual drive without losing data but didn't see it in the manual.

So I take it from reading those manuals that I should be able to install my existing drive in the new NAS with a new second drive and hit "Build RAID 1" without losing anything correct?

Thank you for your replies!
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

Please, review the manual. Clearly not what you've done. And once again: it's two steps.
chronus
New here

Post by chronus »

schumaku: Didn't see your reply. Thanks! That helps a bit more!

doktornotor: Clearly I must have missed it and thought someone with more experience could help elaborate on this. Sometimes documentation does not answer the question directly hence the use of forums to try and help explain it more. My biggest question being "Will I lose data" which could have been a simple yes or no. Thanks for your replies anyways.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Any migration or during any daily computer/PC/NAS operations you CAN loose data - but that's not the common case. Run any NAS, run a migration, an expansion, and whine about data loss is never a manufacturer issue - it's your all alone own responsibility.
chronus
New here

Post by chronus »

schumaku wrote:Any migration or during any daily computer/PC/NAS operations you CAN loose data - but that's not the common case. Run any NAS, run a migration, an expansion, and whine about data loss is never a manufacturer issue - it's your all alone own responsibility.
To clarify:

I understand that. :)

I would not hold QNAP responsible for the loss of my data. I was simply asking other users of QNAP what process they used to migrate to a 2 bay NAS without loosing data OR if there was anything I should know about.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

...this was intended a reply to the yes/no question only...

Yes: Strictly stick with what is documented and what was mentioned here... Do not try to set-up the new NAS with the new HDD, do not try to ad the exiting HDD with data to a NAS with another HDD, ...
chronus
New here

Post by chronus »

"do not try to ad the exiting HDD with data to a NAS with another HDD, ..."

Okay see I think I read these comments and the documentation incorrectly. I was under the impression that it would build the RAID 1 with the data hard drive I add to the new NAS. "You can perform online RAID capacity expansion" where it talks about adding a drive and selecting expanding but I was confused if the drive you are starting with can have data.

So how do you migrate data to a 2 bay NAS? Buy the 2 Bay NAS with two drives and then do some type of rsync/scp?
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

Christ almighty. :roll: :roll: :roll:

- Step ZERO. Buy (at least) 2-bay NAS. Buy (at least) 1 hard drive with size at least the same as the drive in the only 1-bay NAS. *
- Step ONE. Read: The FIRST step. A.k.a. the one BEFORE the SECOND step: System Migration
- Step TWO. Read: The SECOND step. A.k.a. the one you do NOT do until step ONE is COMPLETELY finished: Online RAID Level Migration

Simplified instructions for slower people: Do NOT stick the damned second drive to the NAS and do NOT mess with anything RAID-related UNTIL the darned system is fully migrated.

If you still don't understand, kindly head straight to :arrow: QNAP Helpdesk

* Kindly do NOT come back to complain that you still failed to read the linked documentation despite being repeatedly urged to do so, and - as a result of that failure - you purchased a NAS model that does NOT support either of steps one/two.
Last edited by doktornotor on Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chronus
New here

Post by chronus »

Okay.

I'm sorry I wasn't understanding even after reading the documentation...

I won't bug everyone anymore...

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”