TS210 Raid 1 Disk Swap

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
newscot
Starting out

TS210 Raid 1 Disk Swap

Post by newscot »

I have a TS210 with 2 1TB HDDs.

Disk 2 has started to report errors and the array is now running in degraded mode.

I would like to swap out disk 2, but I am also considering taking off the Raid setting and using both drives as storage. Given this I have the following questions:

1) If I simply replace disk 2 with a new HDD, will the NAS restore the data the was on the old disk?
2) Is the data on disk 1 safe or do I need to backup/restore?
3) If I decide I want to ditch the Raid configuration, is that possible? simple? Could I simply turn off Raid and leave all the data currently on Disk 1 intact?

Thanks

Steve
Steve
Don
Guru

Re: TS210 Raid 1 Disk Swap

Post by Don »

1 - yes, NAS will rebuild automatically.
2 - you should always have backups.
3 - you will need to rebuild from scratch and restore the data from backups. You cannot downgrade raid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

newscot wrote:I have a TS210 with 2 1TB HDDs.

Disk 2 has started to report errors and the array is now running in degraded mode.

I would like to swap out disk 2, but I am also considering taking off the Raid setting and using both drives as storage. Given this I have the following questions:

1) If I simply replace disk 2 with a new HDD, will the NAS restore the data the was on the old disk?
2) Is the data on disk 1 safe or do I need to backup/restore?
3) If I decide I want to ditch the Raid configuration, is that possible? simple? Could I simply turn off Raid and leave all the data currently on Disk 1 intact?

Thanks

Steve
Why would you remove your RAID1 setup? It is the correct solution.
If you are running out of space, simply purchase a NAS with more drive bays, so you can switch to RAID5.

Don already answered your other questions.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
newscot
Starting out

Post by newscot »

Don, Patrick,

Thank you for your speedy response. A lot quicker than "official" channels.

I don't want to get rid of the RAID config but was hitherto unable to get confirmation of what I needed to do to replace the duff HDD.

Having found out it works exactly as I would have hoped it would, I will set to and install the new HDD.

As for backups, I do have backups but wondered if I would need to restore all the data after swapping the disk.

Thanks again.
Steve
newscot
Starting out

Post by newscot »

As an aside, I ran the bad block scanner on Disk 2 and it told me there were 23 errors......it seems a bit harsh to have to replace a 2TB HDD for 23 bad blocks.

Is there no way to simply mark them as bad and avoid them?

Steve
Steve

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”