Rebuild from Scratch, without damaging data on a singe Disk

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Antidot
Starting out

Rebuild from Scratch, without damaging data on a singe Disk

Post by Antidot »

Hey QNAP Commuity,
i'm running a QNAP TS-569L an upgraded that machine a few days ago to 4.1.0. All I got from the upgrade are Problems. So I will rebuild the whole System from Scratch. My Setup is: Disk 1-4 - RAID 5 System, Disk 5 - Single Disk. My Question is this. I can't make a Backup from the Single disk in Slot 5 (4tb and I haven't enough external storage). Can I take this Disk out, set up the machine and after that easily put it in again? What about the Share (it's only one share). Or will the freshly restored QNAP start formatting the Disk if I put it in again?

Kind regards
Anti
Don
Guru

Re: Rebuild from Scratch, without damaging data on a singe D

Post by Don »

That should work but I would not attempt without a backup because sh!t does happen. The share would have to be recreated but the folder will already be there with your data.

1 - If the data is important and can't be lost then you should always have a backup.
2 - If the data is important and can't be lost then it should not be kept on a single disk volume.

Before going this route why not ask for assistance with the problems you are having?
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
Antidot
Starting out

Re: Rebuild from Scratch, without damaging data on a singe D

Post by Antidot »

Thank you for your fast response. There are so much problems and I'm so fed up with the very poor work of the german E-Mail Qnap Support, that I thought it will be the easiest way to get a normal running machine in a acceptable time. If the problem I asked for in another Thread gets solved, i rethink it eventually :-).

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”